2 large aubergines - about 600g (1¼lb) in total
3 garlic cloves, sliced
4tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
125g (4oz) ricotta
For the smoky pesto
1tsp smoked paprika or pimentón
1 bunch of basil
50g (2oz) pine nuts
1 garlic clove
30g (1oz) Parmesan cheese or vegetarian Parmesan substitute, grated
3tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5, 190°C, fan 170°C.
2. Slice the aubergines into 1cm (½in) thick discs. Mix the garlic and olive oil in a cup and brush both sides of the aubergine slices with oil. Place aubergine on a baking tray and pour over remaining garlic oil. Season. Bake for 30 minutes until soft and golden. Set aside.
3. To make the pesto, place the paprika, basil, pine nuts, garlic and Parmesan in a food processor and purée while gradually adding the oil. Season to taste.
4. Brush 4 ramekins with oil and place an aubergine slice in the base of each one. Top with 1 tbsp. ricotta, a spoonful of pesto, then another aubergine slice. Follow with another layer of ricotta, pesto, then aubergine. (Some pieces of aubergine might be smaller, so use as many as necessary to fill the final layer).
5. Place ramekins on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until sizzling. Leave to cool briefly. Place an upside-down plate over each timbale and flip to invert and serve.