Total Pageviews

Monday 23 October 2017

Spiced Parsnip Soup with Coriander and Chilli Pesto


There aren't many things more comforting than a warming mug of creamy soup, and I'm sure this spiced parsnip and pesto one will not let you down. The time of year really lends itself to this recipe suggestion ... for Autumn, for Halloween, even for the 5th November Bonfire Night!

Ingredients
Serves Six
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1kg (2lb) parsnips, chopped
1.5ltr (2 1/2pt) hot chicken stock
3 tbsp. soured cream

For the pesto
1 red chilli or dried chipotle chilli
50g (2oz) fresh coriander, leaves picked
15g (1/2oz) Parmesan, grated
4 tbsp. pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

Method:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and a little seasoning, and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and ground spices and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
2. Add the parsnips and stock, bring to the boil, and then simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the parsnips are tender.
3. Meanwhile, make the pesto. Soak the chipotle chilli (if using) in a little just- boiled water for 15 minutes, or until softened, drain and then roughly chop. Put the chilli (or dried chipotle chilli) in a small blender with the coriander leaves, Parmesan and 2 tbsp. of the pumpkin seeds and pulse a few times to combine. 4. Add the extra-virgin olive oil, season, and whizz until coarsely mixed. Add a little more oil, if necessary, until the desired consistency is reached.
5. Remove the soup from the heat and whizz with a stick blender until smooth (if it’s too thick, add a little more stock). Stir in the soured cream. Divide the soup between 6 bowls and add a drizzle of the pesto.

Serve with the remaining pumpkin seeds and (optional) how about some warm low carb cheese scones, you can see recipe here 

Each serving of soup:
Carbohydrate 11.7g Protein 7.5g Fibre 9.8g Fat 18.7g
Soup recipe is from an original idea here

You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

23 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds wonderful, wish I had a mug in front of me right now! Hugs, Valerie

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I must admit I don't often use parsnip Jan, might have to amend that ☺

eileeninmd said...

Hello, not sure if I have tried parsnip. I do love almost any kind of soup.

Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

Jo said...

It's definitely soup weather.

Tom said...

...a good fall food.

Christine said...

Sounds delicious!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

It's been a long time since I had Parsnips... My mother used to cook using them.... I love most all soups --especially when it's cold outside..... A really good homemade Chili is my favorite soup followed by a good homemade Baked Potato Soup... YUM..

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Lisa said...

A mug of soup whilst watching the fireworks is a happy childhood memory.
Lisa x

Elephant's Child said...

It looks great, though my version would have a different pesto. I love coriander seeds and cannot abide the leaves.

DMS said...

I love parsnips and pesto- but don't think I have ever had them together and certainly not in soup form. Sounds tasty! :)
~Jess

Revrunner said...

To my knowledge, I've never partaken of parsnips. :>

Gloria Baker said...

Looks delicious !! I love soups!

Martha said...

Oh, lovely. And spicy!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

This soup surely must be delicious. I will have to try it. Autumn is the perfect time to enjoy healthy soups. We are back from our trip now and it's time to get in the kitchen and enjoy cooking again! Happy October! ♥

Debbie said...

this sounds very good, especially for this time of year. i love pesto, there is nothing better on pasta!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks hearty and cozy for a rainy day.

Sami said...

I usually only make soup in winter, so I've printed this one for my recipe file.

Lisabella Russo said...

I'm not that familiar with parsnips, with some veggie broth in lieu of chicken for me, it looks like a yummy soup!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I've never cooked with parsnips. I'll have to try making this soup

Magic Love Crow said...

This looks so good! Thank you!

DeniseinVA said...

Delicious Jan and now the days are getting cooler, a perfect meal.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Jan , this looks so good . I like parsnips but seldom make them. This is a great recipe to try. Thanks

lenalima said...

Eu não usava as sementes da abóbora, vou começar a guarda-las!

obrigada.