Total Pageviews

Monday 15 January 2018

Cheesy Haddock and Spinach Bake


This recipe suggestion uses Pié d'Angloys cheese, which is a full flavoured and creamy cheese. On its authentic packaging, the seal certifies its constant quality and is the proof of the cheese-markers' excellence.



On the outside the product has an ivory rind which once cut reveals a golden honey coloured brie-like paste. The texture is always creamy and melts in the mouth and the taste is rich and flavoured with a hint of honey. Pié d’Angloys is perfect for any occasion – its uniqueness graces any cheeseboard but can also be eaten simply with low carb seedy bread, to turn a light lunch into a real treat.

Ingredients:
Serves Two
20g butter
20g plain flour
240ml milk
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Squeeze of lemon
100g spinach
70g Pié d'Angloys - chopped into small cubes
400g smoked haddock
Salt and pepper

Method:
Oven temperatures in 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6

Preheat the oven. Melt the butter over a medium heat, remove and stir in the flour to form a roux. Place back on the heat and cook for 30 seconds stirring with a wooden spoon.

Gradually add the milk a little at a time whisking as you go to prevent any lumps from forming. When you have incorporated all the milk and the sauce has a creamy consistency add in the Dijon mustard, Pié d'Angloys and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season to taste.

Wash the spinach and cook for 1-2mins, squeeze out any excess liquid using a sieve and the back of a spoon.

Divide the spinach between two small crockery-baking dishes, place the fish on top and finish with the sauce.

Bake in the oven for 15 to 20min until golden on top.

From an original idea here

Please note - there is a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

21 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, another delicious dish. I love all kinds of fish, I just wish we had a nice fish market nearby. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Carol Blackburn said...

Looks and sounds wonderful but do you think it would be just as nice using Coconut flour? I'll probably try it if I can find that cheese and it's not too expensive. Just bought some Bread Cheese and Halloumi from an online store because I can't get them around these parts and spent almost $50. on one bar of each because of the shipping costs. Such a hard decision to make! To cheese, or not to cheese.....

JFM said...

Simplicity that looks fantastic and healthy!

Have a beautiful day Jan ☃

Christine said...

Looks wonderful and that cheese sounds incredible.

Iris Flavia said...

That might be a way to get me to eat fish!

Catarina said...

I don't remember seeing that cheese in "my" supermarket which has a great variety of cheeses. Will look for it for sure. The recipe suggestion is very appetizing.
:)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

That spinach bake looks SO good... And it's healthy!!!!!

Thanks for the recipe.
Hugs,
Betsy

Martha said...

This sounds amazing. I grew to love fish recipes as I got older!

Lowcarb team member said...

Part of Carol Blackburn's comment above:
"Looks and sounds wonderful but do you think it would be just as nice using Coconut flour? I'll probably try it if I can find that cheese and it's not too expensive."

Hi Carol
Low Carb flours do not behave like wheat flour, lots more about this on this article here
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-flours/
Coconut flour absorbs more liquid than any other low carb flour, so I can only suggest you give it a try ...
I do hope you will be able to find the cheese.

All the best Jan

Elephant's Child said...

Cheese and spinach is a match made in heaven isn't it?

happyone said...

Yummy, that DOES look and sound good.

Tom said...

...now this sounds good!

Sandra Cox said...

I've never had this particular cheese but it sounds glorious.

Lady Fi said...

Looks nice (although I don't eat fish).

Phil Slade said...

I've never heard of that cheese but if it's a little like brie I probably would. Can't go wrong with cheeese and a firm textured fish like haddock but not everyone likes the combination. Add a few chopped prawns to make the dish even tastier?

Crafty Green Poet said...

That looks delicious, just the type of dish to appeal to a veggie who secretly loves fish

Magic Love Crow said...

Mom and I say thanks!!

DMS said...

This sounds tasty. Definitely one I would like to try. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

My husband would love this, since he loves spinach so. I don't know if I can find that kind of cheese here, but I'm thinking I could substitute another creamy white cheese, maybe mozzarella or brie? Thank you for sharing such wonderfully delicious recipes! Hugs to you today Jan, I always appreciate your pleasant visits :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Marilyn@MountainTopSpice said:
"I don't know if I can find that kind of cheese here, but I'm thinking I could substitute another creamy white cheese, maybe mozzarella or brie?"

Hello Marilyn
If you cannot find the cheese mentioned in the recipe, I would suggest you try a Brie or maybe a Monterey Jack ...

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Phil Slade said:
"Add a few chopped prawns to make the dish even tastier? "

Hi Phil ... why not give it a try!
Recipes are to be tried, enjoyed, amended to suit our taste - it's the great thing about cooking!

Thanks for your comment.

All the best Jan