Total Pageviews

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Thai Curry Soup With Tofu : Vegan, Lower Carb, Gluten Free


As regular readers know, this blog brings a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, music and recipes! It is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. Our main focus is about the Low Carb Higher (Healthy) Fat lifestyle, LCHF for short, and you can read/find out more about that here

In recent months we have seen that more and more we have regular readers, and followers, who choose to eat vegetarian or vegan. With that in mind I am passing on this recipe suggestion from Martine at Low Carb Vegan Blog.
It is for a lower carb vegan style Thai curry soup which uses Tofu, and if you would like a little more information about Tofu, then please use this link here

Martine at Low Carb Vegan, says:
" I love meal soups. They are quick and easy to make, and you can chuck in any ingredients you have lying around. This Thai-ish version is nice to use up all the odd and ends of veggies that are lying around in your fridge. Peppers, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, leeks, rutabaga (swede), parsnip and many others work well in this. If you don't have some of the veggies in the ingredient list, just substitute something else.

Ingredients:
Serves 3 - 4
Gluten Free
1 onion, minced
1 bell pepper, in strips
1 garlic clove, minced
2-3 handfuls of green beans, peas or broccoli, in small pieces
2-3 handfuls of cauliflower, in small pieces
1 1/2 cup (1 can) cooked chickpeas (optional, use only if the carb count doesn't have to be super low)
1 heaped teaspoon un-chicken or vegetable bouillon powder
3 cups water
2 tablespoons (green) Thai curry paste
3 oz. /100 g creamed coconut in a block (or replace half the water with a can of coconut milk)
16 oz. / 500 g firm or extra firm tofu, cubed


Instructions:
Sauté the onion in a little oil until it is translucent. Add the bell pepper and garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the green beans, cauliflower, optional chickpeas, bouillon and water. Bring to a boil and cook for 6-7 minutes until the veggies are done. Stir in the curry paste and creamed coconut.

In the mean time, fry up the tofu cubes in some oil until they are crispy and golden brown. Divide the soup over 3 or 4 bowls and sprinkle the tofu on top."

You can see the original recipe here
If you should need help with measurement and conversion please see here

Readers please remember, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

16 comments:

Tom said...

...tofu hasn't made it to my plate yet.

Valerie-Jael said...

I am sure this is healthy, but I am not a tofu fan. Hugs, Valerie

DMS said...

I love making soup- especially in winter. It really hits the spot. I haven't tried tofu and curry. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess

sheila 77 said...

This looks lovely and warming, although I'm not crazy about tofu. But it looks worth a try, especially in this lovely frosty weather. Thanks.

William Kendall said...

I imagine that could get spicy.

Bill said...

That looks so delicious, we love curry and tofu. We just had sloppy joe's with tofu on rolls. I just love that stuff.

Margaret D said...

That soup is bound to be tasty.

Travel Bunny Alex said...

This looks so delicious! I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing it!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Jan

I like Thai flavors and I also like substituting tofu for meats from time to time. Thsi looks delicious!

Elephant's Child said...

I adore tofu, though my rude partner refers to it as bean-turd.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I really like Thai curries and this looks delicious!

carol l mckenna said...

Not a fan of curry but still looks yummie!

Happy Weekend coming to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Martha said...

So yummy!

Out on the prairie said...

This sounds wonderful, I have never used curry much

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OMGosh, Jan. You have spoken my language here. I moaned to my foodie friend when I saw "tofu soup" on the menu that tofu tasted terrible. However, I decided to try some and I loved it. I soon learned that tofu picks up the taste of anything it is cooked with. Now this curry sounds absolutely PERFECT to me. I'm putting tofu on my shopping list, because I have curry paste as well as curry powder.

Magic Love Crow said...

I love tofu! Thank you!