2 tbsp vegetable oil
500g/1lb 2oz chicken thighs
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
splash red wine
275g/9½oz chorizo, chopped
100ml/3½fl oz dry sherry
1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
200ml/7fl oz chicken stock
1 x 400g/14oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
salt and freshly ground black pepper
handful chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat half of the vegetable oil in a large pan. Add the chicken thighs and fry, turning frequently, until lightly browned all over. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
2. Add a little more oil to the pan, then add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and chilli and cook for five minutes. Add a splash of red wine and simmer until reduced by half.
3. In another pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the chorizo for 2-3 minutes. Add the sherry and cook until the chorizo is crisp. Set aside.
4. Add the can of chopped tomatoes to the pan with the vegetables and bring to the boil. Cook for five minutes, then add the stock and bring back to the boil.
5. Add the browned chicken, the chickpeas and crisp chorizo and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
All the best Jan