Total Pageviews

Sunday, 20 September 2026

Foods to help improve/increase blood flow and circulation


Jillian Kubala MS RD writes:

"Poor circulation is a common problem caused by a number of conditions. Peripheral artery disease (PAD), diabetes, obesity, smoking and Raynaud’s disease are some of the many causes of poor circulation. Reduced blood flow can cause unpleasant symptoms, such as pain, muscle cramps, numbness, digestive issues and coldness in the hands or feet. In addition to those with poor circulation, athletes and active individuals may want to increase blood flow in order to improve exercise performance and recovery. Although circulatory issues are often treated with medications, eating certain foods can also improve blood flow.

Here are the 14 best foods to optimize blood flow:

1. Cayenne Pepper
2. Pomegranate
3. Onions
4. Cinnamon
5. Garlic
6. Fatty Fish
7. Beets
8. Turmeric
9. Leafy Greens
10. Citrus Fruits
11. Walnuts
12. Tomatoes
13. Berries
14. Ginger


Other Methods:
While incorporating any of these foods into your diet may improve circulation, other lifestyle changes may have a larger impact. 
Here are some other lifestyle modifications that can optimize blood flow:-
  • Quit smoking: Smoking is a risk factor for many chronic diseases — such as cancer — and can negatively impact circulation.
  • Increase physical activity: Exercise stimulates blood flow and helps improve vasodilation. Plus, regular exercise decreases your risk of heart disease.
  • Lose weight: Being overweight or obese negatively impacts blood flow and can lead to dangerous complications, such as plaque build up in your arteries.
  • Follow a healthy diet: Instead of simply stocking up on particular foods, try switching to a diet rich in healthy, whole foods — such as vegetables, healthy fats and fibre-rich foods — which can improve circulatory health.
  • Stay hydrated: Proper hydration is critical to all aspects of health, including circulation. Dehydration can damage endothelial cells and promote inflammation in your body, restricting blood flow.
  • Reduce stress: Research proves that stress levels can significantly impact blood pressure. Manage your stress through yoga, meditation, gardening or spending time in nature.
Summary:
Following a healthy diet, exercising, losing weight, quitting smoking, staying hydrated and reducing stress are natural ways to improve circulation.


The Bottom Line: 
There are many natural ways to improve circulation, including choosing foods that stimulate blood flow. The antioxidants, nitrates, vitamins and other substances contained in the foods above can have a positive impact on your circulation. What’s more, leading a healthy lifestyle, can boost blood flow and overall health."

The above is only a snippet of Jillian's article.
You can read it in full with all related links here


PLEASE BE AWARE
All articles / posts / studies (and any comments) within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional.

Always take account of your personal circumstances, needs, illnesses and medication you may be taking. Any allergies, or underlying health issues must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

If you have any concerns about your general health, including medication, you should contact your Doctor/local health care provider.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Jan, wonderful tips here, dear friend! Thank you so much for sharing.

roentare said...

That is a list I need to save for winter chills lol

Mari said...

This is great information! Thanks for sharing this.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos. Te mando un beso.

Katerinas Blog said...

A very useful article, Jan.
I wasn't aware of quite a few of the things you wrote about.
All the best, and have a wonderful week!

River said...

I almost always have warm hands and feet, unless the weather is really cold.

Modrina Neba said...

Jan, thanks for the great tips, I still have at least some tomatoes at home :))
Monday hug, Andreja!

DeniseinVA said...

A very interesting and informative read Jan. Thank you so much. All the best, Denise.

Margaret D said...

Good article Jan. Good things to eat.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Thank you, Jan, for this important information.
I wish you a beautiful start to the week.
Hugs Elke

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for this information, Jan.
God bless and best wishes.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jan,
Great information and thank you for sharing the list of foods.
Take care, enjoy your Monday! Have a wonderful week!

Iris Flavia said...

And (nearly) everything is yummy on top!

chica said...

Muito importante pensar nisso,Jan! Valeu! Ótima semana! beijos, chica

Tom said...

...I have problems, but this isn't one of them.

R's Rue said...

Thanks for sharing. Happy Monday.

Dewena said...

I read this with great interest, Jan, as that is something I've been researching online. I'll write down the foods list as several are different from my current list. I'll also click on the original article. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

And it's cinnamon season!

Kim said...

I've started walking almost 2 miles a day...but I still need to reduce stress. I wish there was a food for that! Haha!

Mary Kirkland said...

That's good to know.

HappyK said...

It all sounds good to me!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wonderful tips. Many of these foods I use and buy all the time. Thanks for sharing.

Conniecrafter said...

Thanks for all the info, my hands and feet get quite cold in the winter, I wonder how my circulation is.

baili said...

fantastic post dear Jan
i learned foods that can help blood flow 😊
exercise is part of my life thankfully!

Bijoux said...

Good info and not talked about much, so thanks for the helpful tips.

Teresa said...

Gracias por toda la información. Besos.