Wearing a bright red shirt, Bernard Gilbert directed a dance to song 'King of the Road' by country singer Roger Miller in Worcester, UK city centre, with crowds erupting in applause after he finished.
The former dance teacher previously went viral on social media for his moves at Fernhill House Care Home where he lives. His videos were seen more than 1.5m times.
"I love the dancing, once I get on the floor I forget everything, I just concentrate on what I'm doing," he said when the BBC interviewed him in June.
The flash mob in Cathedral Square featured Got2Sing choir members as well as residents as they raised money for Alzheimer's Research UK.
They learnt four dances, practised hard and rehearsed at home to prepare for the event, Fernhill House Care Home said.
"What an inspiring day, what a community, what a fantastic memory we've created together," it added.
Organisers of Got2Sing Worcester described the flash mob as a "joyful afternoon" with singers "bringing their energy and talent" to the city centre.
"When a 100-year-old local legend leads the line dancing, you know it's going to be a good afternoon," they said.
Gilbert began dancing aged 16 after he broke his leg playing rugby. Doctors told him dancing would help heal his muscles.
He said dancing brings him "alive" and was not only physically good for people, but mentally, as you "concentrate on what you're doing".
"I love the dancing, once I get on the floor I forget everything, I just concentrate on what I'm doing," he said when the BBC interviewed him in June.
The flash mob in Cathedral Square featured Got2Sing choir members as well as residents as they raised money for Alzheimer's Research UK.
They learnt four dances, practised hard and rehearsed at home to prepare for the event, Fernhill House Care Home said.
"What an inspiring day, what a community, what a fantastic memory we've created together," it added.
Organisers of Got2Sing Worcester described the flash mob as a "joyful afternoon" with singers "bringing their energy and talent" to the city centre.
"When a 100-year-old local legend leads the line dancing, you know it's going to be a good afternoon," they said.
He said dancing brings him "alive" and was not only physically good for people, but mentally, as you "concentrate on what you're doing".
The above words and short video of the dancing can be seen here
----------
I found this so inspirational! Well done Bernard, and thank you for raising money and awareness for Alzheimer's Research UK. Both my dear Mum and Gran had Alzheimer's and I have wonderful memories of them both. A favourite child's verse they both used to say was "wriggle your fingers, wriggle your toes, touch your knees and then your nose" Well, I'm definitely going to keep doing that and also in my own sweet way keep dancing and keep moving! It might not be like Strictly Come Dancing or Dancing With The Stars, which regular readers know I enjoy, but any movement, no matter how much or how little we can do, is good. 'Motion is Lotion' for our bodies - read more here
All the best Jan

25 comments:
Il movimento è fondamentale per tutti noi.
Io ne ho sempre fatto molto poco, ma quest' anno ho deciso di introdurlo nella mia routine quotidiana e devo dire che mi sento molto meglio.
That is so cool! I just saw a video with a 103 year old man playing the trombone. They are an inspiration.
Makes so much sense. I like to dance and for me music really makes me feel alive.
Inspirational as you say
I love that.
I have to agree, dancing brings me alive too. What a fabulous endeavor. I bet is was exciting to be there.
GOOGLE TRANSLATE
Stefania said ...
lI movimento è fondamentale per tutti noi.
Io ne ho sempre fatto molto poco, ma quest' anno ho deciso di introdurlo nella mia routine quotidiana e devo dire che mi sento molto meglio.
Physical activity is essential for all of us.
I’ve always done very little of it, but this year I decided to incorporate it into my daily routine, and I have to say I feel much better.
Love hearing stories like this!!!
I have posted videos on my blog of elderly people dancing! I absolutely love it. Thank you so much for sharing this, Jan! Yes! Let's keep moving!
I'm listening to a lot more music now. I should start dancing along! I should NOT start singing along! heehee! Hugs!
...I've never been a good dancer, I have two left feet.
Es buen ejercicio. Te mando un beso.
Interesting that he was told that dancing might help heal his muscles.
Wow, he is every so lucky to be able to still dance, so good on him and leading others along the way. I rather like that song too, Jan.
It’s great to keep reading stories like this about 100-year-olds; dancing is wonderful and keeps you fit. Thanks for sharing, Jan.
Have a lovely Sunday.Hugs Elke
The video didn't play, it wants me to "sign in" but I can imagine instead. I never learned to dance properly but do bop around to music I like and hope I can still keep doing that as I get older.
Awwww, what a sweet, sweet, agile man! Cute video! To be that fit at that age (wonder why a nursing home?)...
Truly wonderful.
God bless always.
This is so inspiring! I hope I'm still dancing at 100, if I get to live that long
Great inspiring story. Hubby and I like dancing with our grandchildren.
Happy Sunday, have a great day and happy week ahead.
I agree! Very wonderful and inspiring. I'm getting up.
Amalia
xo
This is such a warm story
What an inspiration he is.
Yes we have to keep moving, I have seen to many older people quit moving and then they get really bad after that. Good for him!
A dear man and a great role model for us all. Thanks for sharing his story Jan, very uplifting. All the best, Denise
Post a Comment