Morning glory plants are known as fast-growing vines with a somewhat unique daily schedule, because the flowers open in the morning and close up by the afternoon!
The flower’s blue and purple colours are the most recognizable, but morning glories also appear in a range of pinks, reds, and whites. The flowers are trumpet-shaped, with five large petals arranged flat around the flower head, making them quite attractive to butterflies and hummingbirds.
Please be aware that Morning glory vines and flowers are toxic and should not be eaten or used for culinary purposes. The seeds of some species are known to contain small amounts of a hallucinogenic substance, too.
Morning Glory Meanings and Symbolism
- Like many vining plants, morning glories have long been associated with love.
- Morning glories have symbolized love that was never returned, but have also been seen as a sign of undying love.
- Each colour holds a different meaning: blue represents enduring love, desire, and power; purple symbolizes grace, wealth, and hopefulness; pink is a sign of gratitude and energy; red means passion and strength; white, like many other flowers, symbolizes purity and innocence.
The Morning Glory in History
The Morning Glory Flower has a long and rich history, full of symbolism and meaning. The flower is native to China, where it has been cultivated for centuries. The Morning Glory Flower is associated with the sun and with new beginnings.
In China, the flower is often given as a gift to celebrate a new baby or a new year. The Morning Glory Flower is also associated with love and marriage. In Chinese culture, the Morning Glory Flower is given as a symbol of love and fidelity. The Morning Glory Flower is also said to represent good luck and fortune.
In the USA Morning Glory Pool is part of Yellowstone National Park’s upper geyser basin. It was named in the 1880s due to its resemblance to the flower.
Artist Georgia O’Keefe, noted as one of the key contributors to the establishment of modern art, painted “Blue Morning Glories” in 1938, which is one of her most popular works.
Words above taken from here
The Morning Glory Flower has a long and rich history, full of symbolism and meaning. The flower is native to China, where it has been cultivated for centuries. The Morning Glory Flower is associated with the sun and with new beginnings.
In China, the flower is often given as a gift to celebrate a new baby or a new year. The Morning Glory Flower is also associated with love and marriage. In Chinese culture, the Morning Glory Flower is given as a symbol of love and fidelity. The Morning Glory Flower is also said to represent good luck and fortune.
In the USA Morning Glory Pool is part of Yellowstone National Park’s upper geyser basin. It was named in the 1880s due to its resemblance to the flower.
Artist Georgia O’Keefe, noted as one of the key contributors to the establishment of modern art, painted “Blue Morning Glories” in 1938, which is one of her most popular works.
Words above taken from here
Not all articles, or recipes, may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.
All the best Jan


34 comments:
Thanks for the information on Morning Glory Jan. The red one is lovely.
...for our area, the aster seems the most appropriate.
These flowers are very fitting for the month of September.
We have the blue and purple ones blooming right now - so pretty. I never knew they came in other colors. That red is beautiful!
They are so very pretty!
I love Morning Glories. Ours would close at night and open in the sun.
Morning glories somehow popped up in a flower bed far away from the rest. They are a happy flower.
May
Hello Jan :)
There is a lot of blue Morning Glory on the farm. It rambles over the walls and needs pruning every year. Thank you for sharing all the info about it, which I didn't know. It's a pretty climber that I like very much, and now like it even better because it symbolizes love.
All the best
Sonjia.
Morning glories are another favorite of mine, though I've never had much luck growing them! Thanks for the insight!
Dear Jan!
Morning glories are charming flowers. I am delighted with the scarlet one.
Sending September greetings.
Those are beautiful flowers and colors—thanks for the explanation regarding September. hugs Elke
I just planted some Asters..Tis the season!! Morning Glories go crazy and need control so I stay away from them..
Lovely flower
I have never seen a red morning glory before, only the blue and lilac ones. Very pretty.
Beautiful flowers, Jan. Thank you for sharing this information. 🙏
myself and both my boys were born in september. i thought the only flower was the morning glory. these are really gorgeous...the purple ones are my favorite. i did not know, nor have i ever seen, red ones!! happy september, happy fall!!!!
Es una linda flor. Te mando un beso
These are gorgeous Jan :) All the best, Denise
I don't like morning glory, though they are nice to look at. Asters are nice.
Hello Jan,
The Morning Glories are beautiful, I love all the colors.
Wishing you a happy Fall!
Take care, have a great day!
A lovely celebration of September’s Morning Glory, whose fleeting daily bloom makes it an especially fitting symbol of love, renewal, hope and the quiet beauty of new beginnings.
We used to have white morning glories at one of our houses in Oregon. I love the deep, rich colors in the first photo.
Such interesting facts about the Morning Glory, Jan. Thank you for sharing. My husband has never been a fan because of how quickly they can spread, so I was quite surprised to find some growing in his wildflower bed this year. They are beautiful. xx
They're gorgeous flowers, so rich in colour, but I've never seen a red one before.
I love morning glories and used to plant them by our porch and train them up over the railings. I mixed them with moon flowers so when the morning glories closed in the evening the white moon flowers opened...the vines all intertwined. sigh...makes me a bit nostalgic thinking about it. Hugs- Diana
I love morning glories and didn't know the special meanings of the colors.
Very pretty indeed. We have some morning glory in our neighborhood.
I love flowers; now, after the hot summer, it’s time to fix up the pots and plant new ones. The cacti and aloe vera plants survive just like every year—but that heat, topping 40°C, wipes everything out... even us.
Best regards.
When we lived in Sunland, CA. our back fence was covered with morning glories, they brought me much joy!
Morning Glory is certainly one of my favourites, but then I'm not born is Setember!
They are so pretty.
We bought morning glory seeds this year and then forgot to plant them, hopefully they will be ok for next year. I love those dark red ones against the wooden fence.
I love Morning Glory flowers.
Es una flor bonita. En mi jardín ahora hay muchas. Besos.
Post a Comment