Total Pageviews

Friday, 18 September 2026

September Birth Flower : The Aster


~ The Aster a symbol of love and wisdom, patience and beauty ~

The month of September has two birth flowers, Asters and morning glories and both bring vibrancy to the garden as summer fades and Autumn/fall arrives. Their bright colours are a welcome sight. The aster, with its late-season blooms, provides nectar and a place of rest for migrating butterflies. This post gives more details about the Aster flower meanings and symbolism, a further post about morning glories will follow shortly.

Aster Meanings and Symbolism
  • In Greek, aster means “star,” which is a reference to the star-like appearance of the plant’s flowers.
  • In ancient Greek and Roman cultures, the burning of aster leaves was believed to scare away snakes and ward off evil spirits.
  • They were considered sacred flowers to the Greek and Roman gods. Greek mythology pinpoints the aster’s beginning from the tears of the goddess Astraea.
  • Asters have long been a symbol of love and wisdom, patience and beauty. It has also been associated with faith, friendship, and purity.
  • Purple asters are considered a royal colour and a symbol of wisdom, white asters represent innocence, red is a sign of devotion and passion, and pink symbolizes love and kindness.
  • Some consider asters to be the zodiac flower for Capricorns.
  • The flower is given on 20th wedding anniversaries.
The Aster in History
The stately-looking aster is beloved in gardens and homes. Thomas Jefferson enjoyed the China aster (Callistephus chinensis) in particular, growing it on his Monticello estate. The aster has also been the subject of many great works of art, including those by Claude Monet and Vincent van Gogh. Poet Robert Frost used the aster flower as a symbol of hope in his poem, A Late Walk.

The aster has also been involved in cultural movements. A revolution in Hungary in the aftermath of World War I came to be known as the Aster Revolution, during which supporters of the revolution wore asters in their hats and demonstrated in the streets of Budapest. During World War II, asters were placed ceremonially on the tombs of French soldiers.

The aster plant has been used for various medicinal purposes over the years, too. A tincture made from New England asters (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae) was thought to help with respiratory issues. It was once used to help decrease headache pain and hangovers, and as a treatment for epilepsy.

I hope you found this an interesting read, and as the gardeners among us may know, Asters are easy to grow and require very little attention. They bloom in late summer and early Autumn/fall, just when the final bit of summer colour begins to fade away. Plus, with its late-season blooms, the aster provides nectar and a place of rest for migrating butterflies.
Images on this post from google, words above from here


~ monarch butterfly on aster ~

Dear reader, this blog is presented in a magazine style and you will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, music and recipes!

Not all articles, or recipes, may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

Mari said...

Would you believe I was just out in our garden taking photos of our asters which started blooming just this week? They are such a pretty splash of color in the Fall.

HappyK said...

Such a beautiful flower!!

J.P. Alexander said...

Lindas flores. Buen fin de semana. Te mando un beso.

Tom said...

...asters and monarchs make a beautiful combination.

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

Asters are a very pretty flower. My youngest son has a birthday in September, coming on the 25th! Maybe I should see if I could find some Aster flower seeds. He loves to garden but lately he’s been doing a lot of fishing.

DeniseinVA said...

Fun to learn about this very pretty flower. Thank you Jan and all the best, Denise

Christine said...

Beautiful flower

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

What a gorgeous flower 🌼 🌸

Conniecrafter said...

They are so pretty, I didn't know they are good for migrating butterflies, I may have to plant one in our yard :)

Joyful said...

Very interesting. I had a lot of asters in my garden 2 years ago but don't have any right now. They are a simple and beautiful flower.

Margaret D said...

Such a lovely flower and good to read about September. Husband turned 81 the other day Jan.

Jules said...

Such a pretty flower. I can't recall the last time I saw an Aster. And I'm sure almost every garden had them when I was growing up. X

Giorgio said...

I like asters' colour. Typical of September.

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Jan,
Very nice pictures. Great these wonderful flowers.
Nice with the visitor, the butterfly. Very well done Jan!!

Many greetings,
Marco

contempladoraocidental.blogspot.com said...

That was an interesting read indeed.

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO
Margaret D who said...
Such a lovely flower and good to read about September. Husband turned 81 the other day Jan.

Many thanks for your comment, they are a lovely colourful flower.
Belated happy birthday wishes for your husband :)

All the best Jan

Flighty said...

I like Asters so grow several on the plot, including the one with small white flowers which I call Twinkling Stars. xx

Caroline said...

A beautiful flower, sometimes I see asters in nature. Have a nice weekend !

CJ Kennedy said...

I knew asters were the flower for September, but didn't know morning glories are September flowers, too. I love morning glories.

Chatty Crone said...

My great granddaughter's birthday is September 21! Aster is her flower.

DVArtist said...

This is very interesting about the Aster. A lot of which I didn't know. Thank you

Elkes Lebensglück said...

The aster is a wonderful flower—thanks for the explanation and the photo! Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Elke.

Iris Flavia said...

How very fitting to my Mum´s Birthday!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've only seen asters in photos. They are beautiful.

Jeanie said...

I have always loved Asters but I never knew anything about them, so this was extra interesting and the photo was fun,too!

baili said...

it's really pretty flower dear Jan!
thanks for sharing all the details i have missed otherwise 🥰🙏
i so enjoyed learning facts ,particularly the use of flowers in ww 1
health ,peace and happiness to you ad family!

Teresa said...

Me encantan estas flores. las tenía en mi jardín , pero se secaron ¡ tengo que volver a plantarlas !. Besos.