Total Pageviews

Sunday, 27 September 2026

Harvest Festival Time : Celebrations


'We plough the fields, and scatter the good seed on the land;
But it is fed and watered by God's almighty hand:
He sends the snow in winter, the warmth to swell the grain,
The breezes and the sunshine, and soft refreshing rain.
Chorus All good gifts around us
Are sent from heaven above,
Then thank the Lord, O thank the Lord
For all His love.'

The months of September and October are wonderful harvest months with vegetables such as Aubergine (egg-plant), Cabbage, Celeriac and Swede ... each of which is a low carbers favourite ... to fruits like apples, plums and raspberries, with raspberries definitely on many a low carbers dish. I used to enjoy both my local church and school harvest festivals and of course these still continue each year, many of which include the hymn above.

Yes, Harvest Festival is a traditional event celebrating the successful gathering of the year's crops. Often celebrated in churches and schools, people are encouraged to donate homegrown produce, fruit and vegetables to those in need. The Harvest Festival is a time for feasting, celebrating and giving thanks. It is also a time for honouring those who grow and reap crops.

In recent times the rise of food-banks has given Britain's harvest festival tradition a new momentum - but has left little room for fresh produce as part of the celebrations.

In the past, September was a time when churches and school halls were filled with an abundance of seasonal fresh fruit, vegetables and bread, much of it destined for those in need.

Although this still happens it has changed. Tinned and dried foods have become more prominent, and a strict 'no-perishables' policy is now common among many harvest festival organisers, whose goods are increasingly bound for foodbanks and charities.

When is the Harvest Festival celebrated?

The Harvest Festival occurs on the Sunday nearest to the appearance of the harvest moon. This is the full moon that appears closest to the autumn equinox, which is usually at the end of September or the beginning of October. The traditional start of the autumn season. 

How is the Harvest Festival celebrated?

The Harvest Festival is usually a time to share locally grown produce with those in need and celebrate with a big feast. Churches are often decorated with fruits and vegetables brought by parishioners, which is then donated to charity.

The Harvest Festival is celebrated around the world across many different faiths and cultures. It takes place at different times of the year in different countries, according to when the main harvest is for each country. In the USA, the Harvest Festival is known as Thanksgiving and is a national holiday in November every year.

A nice vegetable for the harvest festival table is swede/rutabaga. It sits comfortably in the roasting tin alongside parsnips, carrots, beetroot and celeriac (also in season right now). However, swede does make a delicious soup or is great, simply mashed with butter and black pepper, as a vegetable side. Low in fat, high in fibre, packed with vitamin C and the minerals potassium (for a healthy heart) and calcium and magnesium, which are great for the bones.
You can read more about this vegetable, plus see some recipe suggestions here


This blog is presented in a magazine style. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes! However, not all the recipe ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you.  Always take account of your personal circumstances, needs, illnesses and medication you may be taking. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

38 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

I feel silly for writing this, but I thought that hymn originated in the musical Godspell!

Mari said...

It's interesting how different the names of produce can be in other areas of the world. For instance, I'd not heard of swede until reading your blog and had to look it up. I'm sure there are things I mention that have a different name elsewhere. Fall is a season for some good produce, especially those root veggies!

Neuer Gartentraum said...

Dear Jan,
I have always liked the idea behind harvest festivals. There is something very satisfying about seeing a display of apples, vegetables, bread and all the other things the earth has given us during the year. Perhaps when we grow even a little of our own food, we appreciate even more that a good harvest should never be taken entirely for granted.
I found it interesting to read how the tradition has changed over the years. Fresh produce may have been replaced in many places by tins and other non-perishable foods, but the important idea of sharing with people who need help has remained. Perhaps that is the part of the tradition most worth preserving.
I also smiled at the mention of swede. It is such an unassuming vegetable, but mashed with butter and pepper it sounds exactly right for the cooler days ahead.
Thank you for this lovely seasonal post. It is a good reminder that autumn is not only a time of changing colours, but also a time to appreciate what has grown and been harvested.
All the best,
Anette

HappyK said...

A wonderful time of year. Interesting to read all about Harvest Time.Thanks.

Bijoux said...

Very interesting information, Jan. I do love all of the autumn fruits and vegetables.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A lovely, interesting post about the Harvest Festival season. Thank your, jan!
hugs Elke

MELODY JACOB said...

Singing "We Plough the Fields and Scatter" in school assemblies brings back such vivid autumn memories. While I miss seeing church altars overflowing with fresh garden produce, prioritizing non-perishables for local foodbanks really meets people where their needs are today. Swede mashed with a generous dollop of butter and coarse black pepper is easily one of the most underrated comforts of the season.

roentare said...

They bring together seasonal abundance, community, gratitude and generosity, with humble swede making a particularly delicious low-carb addition to the table.

Tom said...

...I think that our Thanksgiving should be early like Canada's.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

I have always loved Autumn, Jan! Thank you so much for sharing this fascinating post about the Harvest season.

Mary Kirkland said...

Sounds like a good time.

an artist reflects said...

Wonderful post about the Harvest Festival ~ enjoy ~ Hugs ^_^

Luiz Gomes said...

Bom dia Jan. Aqui no Brasil não temos esta festa. Parece bem interessante. Uma excelente manhã de segunda-feira, para você e todos os seus familiares no Reino Unido e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Jan,
That is nice to read about there is a real party for everything that is ripe and can be picked and eaten. All at this time of the year. That must be so nice and that is new for me to hear. Enjoy of it.

Many greetings,
Marco

Chatty Crone said...

This is my favorite season. Love it. Love the harvest. So pretty.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Great time for soups and stews.

J.P. Alexander said...

Es muy interesante amo esta época. Te deseo una buena semana. Te mando un beso.

Granny Marigold said...

Harvest celebrations have been occurring for many many years. Hopefully that tradition will continue. It's a wonderful reminder of how blessed we are.

River said...

I have read in books about Harvest Festivals and seen them in movies too, they were more common when people lived on acreage and farmed the land.

Modrina Neba said...

Jan Hvala, your information is always very interesting, healthy... kiss Andreja!

Iris Flavia said...

Sounds like a good time. We still have no such thing here in the city (that I know of)

Diana said...

I didn't know the Harvest Festival is timed by the harvest moon, Jan, what a lovely tradition! And I love that the spirit of sharing with those in need is still at the heart of it.

Margaret D said...

Nice post, Jan. They always once celebrated the harvest time here once, but don't seem to anymore. Too many larger farms I suppose and therefore not many small farms so less farmers, maybe.

baili said...

dear friend Jan ,thank you so much for your heartwarming post 🙏
The poem you shared warmed my heart with gratitude and eyes with tears 🥹

I don't remember particular festival celebrated in my little village back than but i remember the deep sense of happiness and peace on the faces of villagers during harvest season 🥰
most of the family events like wedding ceremonies and other gathering were arranged right after harvest season and that glory is unforgettable ❤️
best wishes and prayers for your days ahead my friend🙏❤️

Caroline said...

NIce photo. I never heard of this festival. Have a nice week. Greets

eileeninmd said...

A lovely post on Harvest time.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

R's Rue said...

Sounds good to me.
rkrsrue.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Lovely fall post.

Donna said...

I really wish our seasons were distinct enough to have a Fall Festival...It's either red hot here or cool/cold. Not much in between.
But I'm SO ready for those cooler temps!
hugs
Donna

My name is Erika. said...

I'm home again and doing a bit of blog catching up. There's too many posts to go back 11 days, but I think I picked a good post. You have to love harvest time, even though it can be busy if you want to keep the harvest for winter. Hope all has been well. hugs-Erika

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for welcoming Autumn for us.
God bless.

DVArtist said...

This is a brilliant post. I love this photo. Have a nice week.

Jules said...

At harvest we used to share fresh produce with the elderly people in the village. Now we buy tinned and dried goods to donate to the food bank. X

Shari Burke said...

I've read about Harvest Festival in novels and was always intrigued. It wasn't really a thing in my experience in the US, although some churches probably had them. It just wasn't so widespread.

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Luiz Gomes
Bom dia Jan. Aqui no Brasil não temos esta festa. Parece bem interessante. Uma excelente manhã de segunda-feira, para você e todos os seus familiares no Reino Unido e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.

Good morning, Jan. We don't have this celebration here in Brazil. It looks quite interesting. Wishing you and all your family in the UK an excellent Monday morning—and a big hug from your friend in Rio.

J.P. Alexander
Es muy interesante amo esta época. Te deseo una buena semana. Te mando un beso.

It’s very interesting; I love this time of year. I wish you a good week. Sending you a kiss.

Bill said...

Sounds like a great time!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oktoberfest is a popular fall festival here! I've never eaten rutagbaga--I'll have to see if our local grocery stores sell it and try it sometime.

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely post Jan. I always enjoyed the harvest festivals. They were a lot of fun. All the best, Denise