Total Pageviews

Thursday, 17 September 2026

Cauliflower, Leek and Broccoli Cheese Gratin : Side Dish or Main

Just about everything tastes good in a gratin! Cauliflower, leek and broccoli cheese is a satisfying savoury gratin to serve as a side dish or a main course, and it's one of my favourites.


Ingredients
Serves Six
1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
50g/1¾oz butter, plus extra for cooking the leeks
baby leeks (approx. 150g/5½oz), sliced
500ml/18fl oz milk
4 tbsp flour
200g/7oz mature cheddar, grated
6 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
salt and pepper

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
2. Cook the cauliflower and broccoli in boiling water for 5–6 minutes until just tender. Drain well and tip into a deep baking dish.
3. Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan and fry the leeks for 3–4 minutes, stirring frequently until softened. Arrange them in the dish with the florets.
4. Heat the milk, flour and butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, whisking constantly until the sauce comes to the boil and thickens. Reduce the heat and whisk over a low heat for 1–2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in 150g/5½oz of the grated cheese and season to taste.
5. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
From original idea here

Serving suggestions
Steamed White Fish,
Roast Chicken,
Nut Roast,



~ enjoy your September days ~

You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. Always take account of your personal circumstances, needs, illnesses and medication you may be taking. Any allergies, or underlying health issues must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic (more about this here) and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Jan, this looks so tasty.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

Conniecrafter said...

I bet it would make a great side dish, I will have to say I like having some meat with my meals

peppylady (Dora) said...

Food give away, at our senior center. They give away quite a few cauliflowers.

Debbie said...

i love september. my birthday and both of my sons were born in september, 3 days short of a year apart. i love casseroles, as main meals or side dises, this could be either!!

Modrina Neba said...

Jan, excellent recipe, I love eating and making all of this, it's just that getting vegetables here is a big problem...everything is kept in refrigerators and when you bring it home it quickly goes bad or even molds, the same goes for fruit...sad:(((
I wish you a nice Friday and weekend...Andreja!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

That’s delicious, and I’d love to cook it myself. Thank! Hugs Elke

Barwitzki said...

Gratin... the perfect choice now that it's getting cooler.
I'm going to get started.
Thanks so much for the idea. Have a wonderful day.
Best regards, Viola

Margaret D said...

That is a good looking dish there Jan. Made one the other day but I don't boil my cauliflower or broccoli first as I prefer it rather firm.

Diana said...

That golden, bubbling cheese topping looks absolutely irresistible, and pairing it with steamed fish or roast chicken sounds perfect for versatile meal planning. Thanks for sharing, Jan - definitely saving this one for a cosy autumn dinner!

Shari Burke said...

Oh yeah--this would be delicious and it's exactly my kind of thing!

OLga said...

Il tuo blog è molto utile,Iscriviti al mio,grazie,

Donna said...

This looks so Good! Thanks for the idea!
hugs
Donna

eileeninmd said...

Sounds delicious Jan! Thanks for sharing.
Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great day and a happy weekend.

NanaDiana said...

That sounds delicious! I don't think I have ever seen baby leeks anywhere though. I suppose regular leeks are just a bit stronger in presentation. Have a great Friday-xo Diana

Laura. M said...

Me gusta mucho la coliflor. Gracias.
Buen fin de semana Jan.
Un abrazo.

an artist reflects said...

Looks and sounds delicious! Hugs ^_^
ps ~ thanks for commenting on my blog

CJ Kennedy said...

I wish I liked cheese

Anonymous said...

Delicious!-Christine cmll69.blogspot.com

Mary Kirkland said...

I will have to try this one.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh, that looks good. Did you bake that? Pretty dish.

DVArtist said...

For us this would be a very good main dish. Thank you for the recipe.

Tom said...

...I would enjoy this this!

DeniseinVA said...

A delicious sounding meal with some of my favorite ingredients, pretty September image too. Thank you Jan and have a super weekend. All the best, Denise

Lorrie said...

With locally grown cauliflower and broccoli in my fridge, this will be on the menu soon. I do love a good gratin.

Teresa said...

Me encanta la coliflor y el brocoli. Besos.