As regular readers will know this blog does offer a wide variety of recipe ideas, for your consideration, and by doing this it should be pointed out that not all may be suitable for YOU. If you may have any food likes / dislikes, allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account.
If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter ...
Now, having said that, 'vegan friends' say this is a very tasty dish, perhaps you may want to give it a try!
1 large butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced
1 head garlic, cloves peeled
4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
1 aubergine, diced into 1cm cubes
8 small shallots, diced
1 red pepper, diced into 1cm pieces
400g tin chickpeas, drained
125g blanched almonds, toasted
125g shelled pistachios
15g rosemary, leaves picked
15g thyme, leaves picked, reserving a few sprigs to garnish
15g parsley, leaves picked
100g pitted green olives, roughly chopped
60g fresh breadcrumbs
½ lemon, juiced
40g pomegranate seeds, to serve
2. While the squash is cooking, heat a large, heavy frying pan over a medium heat with 1 tbsp oil. Add the aubergine and cook for 10-15 mins until softened and well browned, then transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan along with the shallots. Cook for 5-10 mins until softened, then add the pepper and cook for further 5 mins. Add to the bowl with the aubergine and set aside.
4. Once cooked, add the squash and roasted garlic cloves to a food processor and pulse until you have a chunky purée, then transfer to the bowl with the aubergine mixture.
5. Add the drained chickpeas, almonds, pistachios (reserving a few to garnish) and herbs to the food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Add to the bowl along with the chopped olives, breadcrumbs and lemon juice. Season well and mix everything together until thoroughly combined.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over the top. Bake for 50-55 mins, or until the top is golden. Allow to rest for 5 mins in the tin, then loosen the edges with a knife and carefully turn out onto a serving plate.
7. Garnish with the pomegranate seeds, reserved pistachios and thyme sprigs before slicing into wedges to serve.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines