Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 December 2020

Sausage, Pumpkin and Sage Casserole ... a warming winter dish


This comforting sausage and pumpkin (or swede) casserole is just perfect for cooler winter days. 

Ingredients
Serves Four
50g/1¾oz butter
6 good-quality sausages, pricked several times with a fork
1 onion, peeled, thinly sliced
3 banana shallots, peeled, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 small pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, cut into equal-sized pieces
(swap pumpkin for swede if preferred)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp caster sugar
200g/7oz canned chopped tomatoes
400g/14oz canned cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
500ml/18fl oz chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley, to serve
Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Heat half the butter in a large casserole over a medium heat and fry the sausages for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown all over.
3. Add the remaining butter, onion and shallots and fry for three minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and sage leaves and cook for a further three minutes, stirring well.
4. Add the pumpkin (or swede) and stir the mixture until well combined. Increase the heat to high and add the white wine vinegar. Continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
5. Add the sugar, tomatoes, cannellini beans and stock and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Bring the mixture to the boil, then transfer the casserole to the oven for one hour, or until the sausages are cooked through and the pumpkin is tender.
7. To serve, ladle the casserole into two large bowl and sprinkle with the flatleaf parsley.
From original idea here


The colour of downy sage leaves and their flavour varies but, in essence, sage is a very strongly aromatic and slightly bitter herb that can withstand long cooking times without losing its flavour.

The strong flavour of sage means that a little goes a long way, especially if you're using dried leaves, so use sparingly. Sage goes well with pork, beef, duck and chicken recipes, and fatty meats in particular. In Italy it is commonly chopped, mixed with melted butter and served stirred into pasta or gnocchi. Fry sage leaves with liver or kidneys, or try dipping them into a light batter and deep-frying - they can be used to garnish dishes or eaten as a snack.
Words and picture about sage taken from here

Other recipe suggestions you may like to try
Sausage with Cauliflower and Parsley Rice recipe - see here
Sausage, bacon and onion bake with sautéed spinach recipe - see here

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

43 comments:

John's Island said...

Hi Jan, It is early Saturday morning, still dark and 33 degrees outside here in Seattle. My usual morning routine is underway with my first cup of dark brew coffee and a look at the World Wide Web. Today, I decided to start by taking a look at some of my favorite blogs. What a delightful find here at The Low Carb Diabetic. The sausage and pumpkin casserole looks delicious. This would be perfect for my dinner tonight! :-) The cool weather is definitely here. My challenge will be to see if I can find a small pumpkin at the grocery. A month or so ago they had pumpkins in abundance but I don’t recall seeing any yesterday. Anyway, thank you for sharing yet another excellent post. Have a fine weekend and do take good care of yourself. Stay safe. Best regards from Seattle. John

Christine said...

Delicious combination!

Tom said...

...this should warm you up!

Rain said...

That looks SO delicious Jan. I love the combination of pumpkin and sage!

Maria Rodrigues said...

Hi Jan, it looks delicious.
Take care and be well
A big hug

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Ooo, that is a lovely casserole. Thank you for the recipe.
Sausage and squash go on the shopping list

Ella said...

This dish look so nice! Must be a delicious combination! Thanks for sharing!
Enjoy the season, Jan!

Sandi said...

That looks so good!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I grow my own sage, but I'll pass on the sausage, even though it looks quite yummy.

Sussi said...

looks good!

Catarina said...

It looks perfect!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The casserole looks delicious, I have never added pumpkin to a casserole, I do love pumpkin and sage. Thanks for sharing! Have a happy weekend!

Elephant's Child said...

Casseroles are a go to in our cooler months. The casserole pots have been put away for a while now though.

Lorrie said...

A comforting meal perfect for this time of year.

linda said...

This sounds lovely I must try it.

Emma Springfield said...

I love soups, salads, and casseroles. You can toss in almost anything and they taste good. Your picture is making my mouth water.

Jo said...

Yum, that looks delicious, I could just eat that now.

mamasmercantile said...

That sounds and looks delicious. A wonderful combination.

Susan Zarzycki said...

Thank you for this recipe! I can make it with ingredients I already have in the house. I will try it on Sunday as it supposed to snow and we will enjoy eating something different and yummy and comforting. 💖

sandy said...

well i love sausage never thought of putting it with pumpkin but it sounds good.

This N That said...

I'm always learning about new foods from you..Swede?? I'll have to look that one up..Looks delicious!!

Yvonne said...

This actually looks good to me, so I copied your recipe to see what I can do with it. I do love a good soup.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh that just looks so good. I think this could be made with sweet potato too. That is what I have on hand. LOL

Jeanie said...

The sausage and pumpkin would be good. I've never tried that but have with squash, which is a hit -- and pumpkin IS a squash! Yum!

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds like real comfort food! Valerie

CraveCute said...

This sounds delicious Jan! Love sage and this is such a comforting dish!

Jeff said...

That looks and sounds so good!

Haddock said...

Wow... Pumpkin. Wifey will be over the moon as she is crazy about creating anything and everything with pumpkin (even pumpkin bread)

carol l mckenna said...

Definitely a wonderful winter dish ~ yum!

Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

happyone said...

Looks nice and colorful and delicious too.

Gloria Baker said...

looks delicious !! xo

Margaret D said...

Looking lovely.

Teresa said...

Se ve muy buena. Un beso.

roughterrain crane said...

This is really one of the best servings in a winter season. The good smell and happy steam from your pot is fascinating me.

Sue said...

Ooh this sounds delicious, you can't beat sausages for good old fashioned comfort food x

JFM said...

Sure looks delicious and food with a seasonal touch ☕

Inger said...

As an old Swede, I love that you called the rutabaga by it's American colloquial name, swede. I love your blog and since I have type 1 diabetes, it will be very helpful to me. But as long as this pandemic goes on and I don't visit stores, just get Walmart pickup twice a a month, using all the great things here that require more than a few common ingredients, may have to wait. But I will keep reading, I enjoy it so very much. Thanks for doing this, it is a great service.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Looks delicious. I have to prepare such a dish.
Greetings.

My name is Erika. said...

This sounds so good. I've never used pumpkin in anything savory except bread before! nice!

Creations By Cindy said...

YUM! I can smell the sage. Love the aroma and these combinations together sound so delightful. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Martha said...

A nice hearty meal!

Snowbird said...

How lovely and easy to veganise.xxx

Magic Love Crow said...

I am very allergic to sage, but I will eat all the rest! LOL!