Total Pageviews

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Six years a type two diabetic to the day.

Six years to the day, a Saturday I realised I was a diabetic. Suffering all the usual symptoms, always tired, blurred vision, planning my life around public toilets on my satnav and constant thirst. I went out and bought a Blood Glucose test Meter on a Saturday morning. Result 26, a visit to my Doctor on the following Monday who said “I have no reason to doubt the meter readings” Down to the local Hospital, a lot of blood tests revealed HbA1c close to 12. A diabetic and no doubt about it.


For  a few months I accepted the advice from my medics, lose some weight, cut out using sugar and do more exercise. This dropped my average BG readings to between 12 and 14. A one way ticket to diabetic complications. I joined the DCUK forum and a Man called Fergus Craig, a long term type one diabetic was talking about low carbing, and his Hba1c in the fours, and running marathons. It made perfect sense to me, I had no idea high carbohydrate food was the reason for my very poor diabetes control, I did not realise carbs means sugar.


Within five days my BG numbers were in the fours and fives. Over the next three months I lost 50lbs in weight and my HbA1c was from memory 5.4*. So amazed was my Doctor he called me in and said “are you being treated elsewhere” the meeting was going well, till I mentioned low carb, he said “If it works for you OK” I am no one special, low carb works for all diabetics. I was so grateful to Fergus, and others for changing my life around, I know what uncontrolled diabetes can do, it has killed members of my family, I have devoted much of my spare time to spreading the word. As have many of my friends.


For six years I have asked numerous medical professionals, how do I hold non diabetic blood glucose number on two metformin pills per day other than low carb, the silence has been deafening.


* Going from very high BG numbers to non diabetic too quickly using diet or medication or both, can cause permanent eye damage. I did not know this at the time. I got lucky, no damage, do not take the risk. Take weeks or even months to gradually bring numbers down. Remember this is not a race. 


Eddie

18 comments:

Gwen said...

Congratulations, Eddie! Job well done, all the way around. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks Gwen

I know so many diabetics who are low carbers and not one single complication for any of us, other that team member Kath whose eye sight was wrecked by medication and HCP incompetence.

Eddie

Lowcarb team member said...

Nice one Eddie! That's got to be worth a nice steak and bottle of red to celebrate! Here's to many more complication free years!

Best regards

Paul

tess said...

is "happy anniversary" the right expression for the occasion? :-) you're a model and a lesson to all, Eddie; keep fighting the good fight!

BEST wishes to you and Jan!
tess

Anonymous said...

How much wine per week?

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks Tess for that comment and your loyalty.

Eddie x

Lowcarb team member said...

"How much wine per week?"

I don't count just like I don't count calories. Low carb high fat.

You know it makes sense, why fight it.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

Just want to add my Well Done. You and the team have helped many.

Paul B

Anonymous said...

Seeing your's and others success stories helped me. I am thankful I found the blog and with the reduction in carbohydrate my numbers are in the 5's I couldn't be more pleased.

Here is to your next six years.

Jean

Thommothebear said...

Congrats and thanks are due, despite my initial skepticism this blog and associated food blog has helped me enormously. i'm just one year in and still trying to stay off serious meds for as long as possible and LCHF really seems to be helping me do that, so here's to the next 6 years.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Thommo I can appreciate the grief on this blog annoys some people, but I am afraid grief and bun fights often brings people in, then hopefully they read the good stuff and are helped.

Our non grief blog I call the Capt. Sensible site receives the same reads in a month that this place gets per day.

Check out DCUK when there is a bun fight going on, more people are posting and reading.

Eddie

Andy12345 said...

Inspirational :)

Mo said...

Happy Anniversary Vader ! You're the modern day Galileo, they thought he was mad when he said Earth was round ! Low carb is the future, people are starting to sit up and listen ! Take care :-)

Mo

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks Mo

I have never been exceptional in any way. Just an ordinary Joe. I was lucky and was taught about diabetes control by some very clever people. All I do is pass on the word.

Eddie

Lowcarb team member said...

Many congratulations Eddie. As Andy said...inspirational! Also congrats to Jan too for all her hard work and support.....and recipes! She deserves a medal for putting up with you ;) :)

Geri

Lowcarb team member said...

"Also congrats to Jan too for all her hard work and support.....and recipes! She deserves a medal for putting up with you ;) :)"

True but don't be fooled, she is one tough Woman, when I over step the line, she is one tough cookie. She is no doormat I can assure you !

Eddie

Unknown said...

Congrats Eddie, you and the team do a fabulous job. I'm so glad I found LCHF and Paleo/Primal, though some days I reckon we'd all be a bit saner without internet forums for sure :-)

Franziska Spritzler said...

Congratulations, Eddie! You're an inspiration to PWDs everywhere. Keep up the great work.

Franziska