Total Pageviews

Thursday 13 March 2014

The Olden Days

When my dear mum and dad used to tell me stories about when they were growing up I can remember saying but yes that was in ‘the olden days’. I must admit I can not remember my children saying that to me, although they must have done. When my first child was born we were fortunate to have central heating in the downstairs of our house. By the time my second and third were born we’d got radiators in all rooms, it was a nice cosy house. They have been fortunate, the era they‘ve grown up in, to have warm rooms everywhere. 

When I was growing up it was coal fires, and once the fire went out at night we were so pleased to wrap up in our blankets, snuggle down to sleep. On getting up the next morning it was quite often cold, and we certainly didn’t hang around getting dressed. It was up, dressed and a good breakfast before school etc. I can remember the coal-man would come and deliver each week or fortnight. I don’t think my children ever saw coal being delivered, when I think back over the years with fond memories I can see so many changes .. some good and others not so. But this is progress nothing ever stands still.

Some things that I find have changed enormously is how we now shop, the food we eat and the amount of snacks that adults and children now eat.

When growing up we were fortunate to enjoy three good meals a day. My mother was at home every day, and from memory, I think she shopped every day for fresh food, which she’d then prepare. Yes, we ate meat or fish with vegetables. The bread we ate was oven baked on the premises of the bakers shop we regularly went to … and to this day I can remember the great smell of freshly baked bread. All the shops we visited were quite small and each shop only served or sold one particular type. Yes, I’m talking about the ‘old fashioned’ butchers, bakers, green grocers, etc. I can even remember going into the hardware shop with my father and be amazed with what was sold. In those days if you just wanted one nail, one screw I think you could buy it no trouble. Now you have to buy too large a packet …. Or if you only want one piece of meat in the supermarket you invariably have to buy two. But this is progress!

There has been much talked about snacking recently and do we need it. When you shop the range of snack and convenience foods is overpowering and little hands are pointing and asking “mum can I have a packet of those please” those invariably turn out to be crisps or sweets. I’m not a spoil sport every one loves a sweet but do we really need them in the quantity some eat them?

When growing up it was a weekly treat to go to the sweet shop and I gazed at all the 1 penny sweets and chews and had great enjoyment choosing my bag. We were only allowed a certain amount and the kind lady who always served us was very patient. I can still remember her face smiling at me whilst I made my choice … which I knew had to last ‘til the following Saturday. Did I eat them all at once or savour them for as many days as I could manage? I ate them sparingly and they did taste good.

My grandchildren eat sweets but they are controlled and certainly not an every day occurrence. As I’ve written before, they are just as happy eating a cucumber slice or a stick of carrot. Their mother does cook real fresh food for them and I hope this healthier start to life stays with them .. who knows ..but they have been introduced to it as soon as they went onto ‘solid food’.

As each day passes these present days will become my grandchildren’s ‘olden days’. I wonder what they will recollect, I wonder what changes they will see. Technology is changing at a frightening speed, but I’m sure they will take it in their stride. One thing that I hope will stay central to them is family. Enjoying good times, building and sharing memories that they can pass on and think back fondly on the ‘olden days’

I hope today will be a good day for you ….  many thanks for reading

All the best Jan

4 comments:

Mo said...

Some good memories there ! Thanks Jan.

Lynda said...

I totally relate to that post Jan. We only had one heater in our house when I was young, a kerosine heater in the kitchen dining area. I remember so many cold mornings! I wish I could remember more about what was told to me as a child. So many memories gone when loved ones die.

Anonymous said...

Yes a nice post thanks:)

Lowcarb team member said...

That takes me back to my childhood in Bristol and a little row of shops around the corner where my mother shopped each day for our fresh veg and meat....often queuing for a couple of hours at the butchers..rationing was still in force. After chapel on Sunday morning I would visit the local newsagent with my father to choose my treat for the week, one small chocolate bar, which I ate a tiny bit at a time to make it last a few days, lol
Geri :)