Total Pageviews

Wednesday 25 April 2018

Broccoli, Cucumber and Kale Salad with avocado - served with a green herb dressing



This super green salad goes well with most meals but is also really good on its own. Simply add some leftover chicken, tuna or salmon for a nutritious lunch.

If you are making this recipe just for yourself, you’ll have enough for at least two lunches, so add the avocado and dressing just before serving. This salad is best when chopped quite finely ...

Broccoli, Cucumber, & Kale Salad

INGREDIENTS
1 small broccoli (just the very tops)
1 kale leaf, stem removed and finely sliced
1/2 Lebanese (short) cucumber, chopped
15 g (1/2 oz./ 1/2 cup) flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped
8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
3 tbsp. pomegranate seeds
1 tbsp. sunflower seeds
1 tbsp. tamari-roasted almonds, chopped
1 tbsp. pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 tbsp. currants
1 avocado, chopped
Squeeze of lemon juice

METHOD
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Season with salt and pepper and top with plenty of the Green Herb dressing.

Green Herb Dressing
Makes about 130 g (4 1/2 oz./ 1 cup)

INGREDIENTS
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. macadamia oil
2 tsp caramelized red wine vinegar
2 tsp water
1 large handful of mint
1 large handful of flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
1 small garlic clove
Juice of 1/2 lemon

METHOD
Put all of the ingredients in your smoothie maker or blender, season with salt and pepper and blitz until smooth. If you do not use it all at once, it can be stored in the fridge but its green colour will not stay as bright.

These details above are from an original idea here

Regular readers will know there is a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

~ sharing some spring flowers with you ~

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan, This recipe has all of my husband's favorites. You probably have heard that in the U.S., the CDC is recommending that we not buy/eat Romaine lettuce currently. This salad gives me a new option to serve John! Thanks and have a nice day.

Tom said...

...looks mighty good!

roughterrain crane said...

Eating green always lights my deep inside fire. Thanks for your wonderful recipe.

Jo said...

What a lovely combination. I bet the pomegranate seeds make it zing.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Another yummy salad that will work well with my intermittent diet Jan, merci beaucoup ✨

Lowcarb team member said...

Mildred said:
Hi Jan, This recipe has all of my husband's favorites. You probably have heard that in the U.S., the CDC is recommending that we not buy/eat Romaine lettuce currently. This salad gives me a new option to serve John! Thanks and have a nice day.

Hello Mildred, and thanks for your comment.
Yes, I did see that the CDC are currently recommending NOT to buy/eat Romaine lettuce at the moment, see article here
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/don-t-eat-romaine-lettuce-cdc-now-warns-n867941

I agree this mix of broccoli, cucumber and kale gives a great alternative.

Wishing you a nice day too - can't believe it's Wednesday already, the weeks go by so quickly.

All the best Jan

carol l mckenna said...

Oh Yummy and so good for you!

Happy Week to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Iris Flavia said...

Especially the dressing sounds very yummy!

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds good! Hugs, Valerie

Chris Lally said...

Looks like another winner, Jan!
Thanks for the yummy recipe.

Catarina said...

I will prepare it for later. Have all the ingredients except currants.
It looks very, very good.
: )

Carla from The River said...

Hi, Yummy!! Thank you for the flowers too.
xx oo
Carla

Out on the prairie said...

I shall look for the Macadamian oil, it sounds so good.

Mary Kirkland said...

I don't like kale but the rest of this sounds really good.

Giga said...

I like all the ingredients, so I think I would like the salad. This provision suits me. Regards.

Anonymous said...

that looks and sounds amazing!

Elephant's Child said...

Not a fan of cucumber, but the rest of this salad looks delicious.

Latane Barton said...

I am not fond of kale but I bet I could sneak some other green in there and be happy as a 'pig in sunshine'. (that's an old southern saying except they said, dead pig.... )

Christine said...

This looks so good!

Margaret D said...

The vase of flowers looks lovely...

Martha said...

So much good stuff in this salad. It's hearty, too. Probably keeps you full for quite some time!

Sandra Cox said...

Oh my, my, my does that sound good.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks very healthy and good too! I am not so sure I like the idea of the pomegranate seeds in there. My daughter made a salad with them in recently, and they seemed a little too hard and crunchy. Maybe I have to give it a second try.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Kale is one my favor veggies

Anonymous said...

Amazing salad!

It's me said...

Mmmmmmmm...Thanks for your Nice comment ....lovely weekend ...i Will try to make this salade...love from me Ria x

Carol Blackburn said...

Salads are always my go to for helping my husband eat healthier. I will make a nice big salad and pair it with a chicken breast or steak. He seems to enjoy the change of pace from his usual fare. When he retires in 8 days, he will be eating more LCHF with me and that will be great. The weekend is coming up, so if I don't check in again before then, I wish you a wonderful weekend.

William Kendall said...

It sounds good!

Magic Love Crow said...

I would love to have some of this right now!!! Thank you Jan!

Snowbird said...

Marvelous! Must give this a whirl too, thanks for all the wonderful ideas!xxx