Total Pageviews

Monday 16 April 2018

Hungarian Style Savoury Minced Beef - with savoy cabbage and carrots


This recipe suggestion can make a wonderful Monday, or mid-week meal ...
Having said that  - yes of course you could enjoy it any night - or lunch-time ! The choice is yours ...

Ingredients:
Serves Four
350g extra-lean minced beef
225g onions (peeled and diced)
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 tin (200g) chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a little water

Method:
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan and dry fry the minced beef for 5 minutes, or until the meat is brown and crumbly. Stir in the chopped onions and the smoked paprika and cook for a further 5 minutes.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and about half a tin (tinned tomatoes) of water, mix well, cover and cook gently (simmer) stirring occasionally for 30 to 35 minutes. Season to taste before serving.
3. Serve with steamed savoy cabbage and carrots. 
Original recipe idea here

Hungarian cuisine ... did you know:
Hungarian or Magyar cuisine is the cuisine characteristic of the nation of Hungary and its primary ethnic group, the Magyars. Traditional Hungarian dishes are primarily based on meats, seasonal vegetables, fruits, fresh bread, dairy products and cheeses.
Read more here

There is a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Sami said...

Looks great Jan. I've just returned from Hungary where I had the traditional Goulash and I use paprika on almost everything, so perfect for me!

Tom said...

...a colorful plate.

roughterrain crane said...

This is a dish of spring. Caraway must smell better.

Jo said...

It looks very tasty.

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmm, I love Savoy Cabbage! Sadly here the season is over. And no asparagus yet, either.

Christine said...

Looks comforting and delicious!

Catarina said...

Easy to make and delicious.
:)

Amy Purdy said...

This sounds good. I don't think I have ever used caraway seeds, so I am not sure how they taste. I will cook this recipe sometime and find out.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds wonderful! Hugs, Valerie

Anonymous said...

I know this is very flavorful!

The Happy Whisk said...

Hey, I'm Hungarian. Cool beans on the post.
How did your tea go from the other day?

Kaya said...

Jan, this is a delicious mea and it's not time consuming to prepare it.
I saved this recipe for the future. Thank you for this excellent recipe.
A warm hug.

Elephant's Child said...

'Mince mess' or a variation of it appears on my partner's menu often. How I wish he would add the vegetables too.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

La ternera suelo consumirla menos, frente a la carne de cerdo y de pollo.

Besos

Lowcarb team member said...

The Happy Whisk said:
"Hey, I'm Hungarian. Cool beans on the post.
How did your tea go from the other day?"

Hello Ivy - didn't know you were Hungarian - I thought this looked delicious.
Tea went very well on Saturday thank-you, great fun ... no pictures though.

Thanks for your comment - have a great week

All the best Jan

Snowbird said...

What a lovely recipe, I could use soya mince, will deffo give the a go! xxx

Martha said...

Awesome dish! I pinned it and will prepare it on another day. I just need to pick up a few ingredients I'm missing.

Sandra Cox said...

Lots of good seasonings in this.
Hope your week is wondrous.

Anonymous said...

oh this looks good!!!

Lee said...

Yum! I love savoury mince! Yes...it is a fact...it is true...there is little I do not enjoy and love :)

baili said...

Looks delicious!!!
Though beef is not my thing

Lorrie said...

I read this while pondering what to have for dinner tonight. Problem solved! Thanks.

William Kendall said...

That sounds delicious!

Magic Love Crow said...

Looks like a good hearty dish!

Lisa said...

Most things with smoke paprika in go down well here.
Lisa x

carol l mckenna said...

Great meal ~ great foodie photo too!

Happy Weekend to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)