Total Pageviews

Tuesday 3 April 2018

It's National Garlic Month ...


"April is National Garlic Month (well, at least in the United States), but many adopt this day/month in their own houses too! Now some people LOVE garlic and if there’s a way to add it into a recipe, they probably will.

"Did you know garlic is both a vegetable and an herb? In the US April is National Garlic Month (Garlic Day is April 19) and we’re celebrating with a few garlic facts...

Garlic is a member of the onion family, which also includes leeks and shallots.

When picking out garlic at the grocery store, select firm, tight, heavy, dry bulbs.

Garlic has been used medicinally since the Greek and Roman times. Today garlic is a widely recognized health enhancing supplement. It promotes the well-being of the heart and immune systems with antioxidant properties and helps maintain healthy blood circulation. One of garlic’s greatest health benefits includes the ability to enhance the body’s immune cell activity.

Garlic was once believed to fight off acne, warts, toothaches and evil spirits.

Its pungent flavour is caused by a chemical reaction that occurs when the garlic cells are broken. The flavour is most intense just after mincing. The smell can be removed from your hands by running them under cold water while rubbing a stainless steel object.

The psychological term for fear of garlic is alliumphobia.

If your rose garden is being attacked by aphids – or plant lice – spritz the leaves and blooms with a mixture of crushed garlic and water.

Drinking lemon juice or eating a few slices of lemon will stop bad garlic breath."

Most words above taken from here

Looking for a tasty dish with a little garlic?
How about these ...


Pork Stroganoff
more details
here


Mustard and Sage Chicken with Celeriac Mash
more details
here


Baked Garlic Parmesan Salmon
more details here


Smoky aubergine/eggplant timbales
more details
here

I hope you may enjoy these recipe choices, but please note, we bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

As always, thanks for reading.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Christine said...

I love garlic, thanks for the delicious recipe suggestions.

Margaret D said...

Rather partial to garlic.

Elephant's Child said...

I am a big garlic fan.

Lisa said...

I don't use a huge amount of garlic so I tend to buy the paste and keep it in the fridge.
Now all I can think about is warm garlic bread!
Lisa x

Valerie-Jael said...

I always buy fresh garlic in small amounts, and love the taste it adds to things. Hugs, Valerie

Cheryl said...

I do not know what I would do without garlic. I use it most days in recipes.
I tried to grow it one year but was totally unsuccessful but I am going to give it another go this year.

sheila 77 said...

Hello Jan,
Thanks for this celebration of garlic and the good news that it is so good for you.
My favourite way of using garlic is just to separate the cloves, take off the skins and roast the cloves in olive oil. It goes with all main dishes.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

We love garlic. We tend to put it on everything we cook. Thanks Guys for the recipes. Will have to try them. Hope you have an amazing day out there.

Jo said...

We never had garlic when I was growing up, my dad couldn't stand it nor could he stand the smell of it cooking so we all had to do without. Those recipes look delicious.

Tom said...

...a whole month?

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of Garlic month!!! What would we do with out it lol,,

piccolina said...

Very educational!You can also try pasta spaghetti with garlic (chopped into little) and red pepper powder, just fry them with olive oil in slow fire and when garlic turned brownish add your cooked pasta, add salt to your taste. :)

Catarina said...

Roasted garlic is delicious.

Out on the prairie said...

I love it so well I never worried about garlic breath.I use it in everything

JFM said...

I love garlic and it is so healthy for us!!!
Thank you again Jan!!!

Hugs

happyone said...

Didn't know there was such a thing as garlic month. : ) We use it a lot here at my house.

Iris Flavia said...

Sadly the smell makes me gag.
And we have one neighbour who loves garlic way too much. Cooking with an open kitchen window forced me inside often last summer...

Lady Fi said...

Ooo - I love garlic!

Snowbird said...

I love garlic and will try and add it to everything. Love the tip on how to remove the smell from your hands.xxx

Martha said...

I love garlic and use it regularly. Thanks for this informative post and the wonderful recipes to go with it!

Chris Lally said...

Which recipe to try first? Bet they are all delicious!
Great post, Jan!

William Kendall said...

I like it as part of a dish.

Amy Purdy said...

I love garlic. I add it to a lot of my meals. I didn't know it had its own month.

Conniecrafter said...

Love garlic in a lot of dishes, I have never heard about spritzing plants to have the aphids leave it alone, may have to give that a try this summer if I have troubles

Magic Love Crow said...

Great post! Thanks Jan! I love garlic!

carol l mckenna said...

Garlic soooo good for you ~ yummy looking recipe!

Namaste,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)