Total Pageviews

Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Doctor patient relationship part 3.

Six months later.

Hi Doc, how was my latest HbA1c test ? Unbelievable ! looking at your tests, unbelievable, sorry Fred they must have got it wrong, these tests can’t be right. What's the problem Doc ? Well it says here your HbA1c has gone from 12 to 5.5, your trig levels have gone from 4 to 0.8, your HDL cholesterol has gone up and your LDL has gone down, these blood numbers can’t be right, it’s totally impossible to achieve these numbers. The last time I saw those sort of numbers they were for a 25 year old iron man competitor. Sorry Fred we will have to do the tests again.

Why are they impossible Doc ? I have been low carbing for six months. Lots of diabetics have done this, by low carbing they have lost weight, and years on, they are still doing well. Fred, do you seriously think, a bunch of low carb barmy army recruits, know more about diabetes control than I do ? Why do you think most of those low carbers have been banned from diabetes forums, I’m telling you, Fred they are nutters and trouble makers, have you seen the amount of fat those people eat ? Good grief Fred, those low carbers are dead men walking. That’s another thing Doc, they are always going on about walking. Exactly Fred, they have lost the plot !

Doc, I’ve been hearing about a guy called Gary Taubes, and he reckons it’s the carbs and sugar that leads to obesity, heart disease and type two diabetes, and not saturated fats. Ah yes, I have heard of Gary Taubes, wasn’t he the drummer with Mott The Hoople ?

So, you don’t rate low carbing Doc ? Well if it works for you Fred stick with it, but no I wouldn’t recommend it, who but a complete idiot, would take diabetes diet advice from some nutter on the internet ? Honestly Fred I sometimes wonder why I bother to turn up here some days. It’s patients like you that make this job a misery at times. On your way out, ask my secretary to come in would you, see you in six months Fred.

Gloria, place a note on Fred’s medical file. Patient far too happy and relaxed for a diabetic, suspect possible alcohol or narcotics abuse.
 
To be continued.

Eddie

No comments: