Total Pageviews

Friday 20 May 2011

One death is tragic a million dead is a statistic. Joseph Stalin

My experience of the NHS has been 99% positive. Time after time I have been in awe at the skills and dedicated care from NHS Doctors and Nurses. I do not believe I or my family could have received better treatment if we had been offering a blank cheque, and all this free. OK we pay our taxes and we have paid into the fund, but how many of us would have the money to pay for private treatment for a serious illness or complicated surgical procedure ? I believe the NHS is world class and our finest institution, but for how much longer ? So, if it’s so good how come they fall down so badly in the care and treatment of diabetics ? Not my opinion just look at the NHS published data on HbA1c control.
 

NHS Statistics for 2008 2009:
Percentage of Type 1 diabetics with HbA1c greater than 7.5 per cent = 71.4 per cent.
Percentage of Type 2 diabetics with HbA1c greater than 7.5 per cent = 33.4 per cent.
Percentage of Type 1 diabetics with HbA1c greater than 10.0 per cent = 33.6 per cent.
Percentage of Type 2 diabetics with HbA1c greater than 10.0 per cent = 14.3 per cent.
These results are very similar to those found in 2006 – 2007 and 2007 – 2008.

Yesterday we posted NHS dietary information recommended for type two diabetics. This stated recommending a carb level of 45-65% energy intake from carbohydrates. At 2500 calories per day and 50% from carbs we are talking about over 300 grams of carb per day. I have never met a type two diabetic that can consume that sort of carb intake and hold safe BG numbers. For most type two’s, no drugs will control that sort of carb level other than insulin. If I ever met a person that could consume 300 carbs per day with none or minimal medication, and hold safe BG numbers, I would tell them they were not a diabetic !

The question I find myself asking, is if so many diabetics know the answer to safe BG, is a massive reduction in carbs to stay in control, and get way lower than the complication guaranteeing NICE guidelines, why haven’t the medics worked it out ? Now most medical people I have met have been a very long way from being stupid, so let’s presume that they know what we know. That being the case, I want to know why they are prepared to let us go to an early, often complication riddled grave. The medics can’t have it both ways. Either they don’t know and they should know, or they do know and are keeping it to themselves. Anyone want to bet me next years NHS diabetes control data will show meaningful improvements ? I reckon the usual failure will be continued and I am offering good odds to anyone that wants a bet.
 
Eddie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eddie you are missing the point. With guidelines like these diabetics will not be living beyond retirement age thus savings on looking after the elderly will be greatly minimised.

There's method in their madness !

Anonymous said...

These figures are tragic.

The answer has got to be Education Education Education

Only trouble is the Educators have still to be Educated

KEEP UP THE FIGHT