Total Pageviews

Monday 27 March 2017

Halloumi is to be enjoyed ...


Halloumi is a firm, slightly springy white cheese from Cyprus, traditionally made with sheeps’ milk, although these days mass-produced varieties often use cows’ milk.

In texture, halloumi is similar to a firm mozzarella, making it a popular ingredient in Middle Eastern cooking. Unlike mozzarella, however, it has a strong salty flavour, particularly when preserved in brine.

Buyer's guide:
The best halloumi is made from sheeps’ milk, and will come from Cyprus, although these days you can even find varieties made in Britain.

Storage:
Halloumi will keep in the fridge for many months if left in its original packaging, complete with brine or whey. Once opened, submerge in salt water and refrigerate.

Preparation:
In the Middle East, halloumi is usually fried or grilled to take advantage of its high melting point. Although halloumi can be eaten straight from the packet, some chefs recommend soaking it in buttermilk for a day or two before preparing, to give it a richer, less salty flavour.


Recipe idea using Halloumi


Ingredients:
Serves Four
For the dressing
1 x 200ml/7fl oz pot crème fraiche

½ handful fresh mint, 
finely chopped
½ ruby grapefruit, 
juice and flesh
salt and freshly ground black pepper, 
to taste
For the vegetable stack
1 each red, green, and yellow sweet peppers, 
quartered, seeds removed
1 medium aubergine, 
sliced
1 medium courgette, 
sliced
olive oil
1 x 250g/9oz block halloumi 
cheese
To serve
courgette flowers (if available)
4 mint 
sprigs

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. For the dressing, mix the crème fraîche, mint, grapefruit juice and grapefruit flesh in a bowl until well combined. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Set aside until needed.
3. For the vegetable stack, place the peppers, aubergine and courgette onto a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and slightly crisp on the outside. You can also grill the vegetables on a preheated barbecue, but watch them carefully so they do not burn. Set the vegetables aside.
4. Cut the halloumi lengthways into eight slices. Brush a griddle pan with oil and place it over a medium heat. Add the halloumi to the griddle pan and cook for 20-30 seconds on each side, or until golden-brown griddle marks appear on both sides.
5. To serve, place a slice of griddled halloumi onto each of four plates and stack alternate slices of the vegetables on top. Top with another slice of the halloumi. Serve the dressing alongside the vegetable stack. Garnish with a courgette flower (if using) and one of the mint sprigs.

Tip:
Griddle the halloumi at the last possible minute before serving, as it quickly turns rubbery once cooled.

A variety of recipe ideas are found within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Tom said...

...something else that I've never heard of.

Jo said...

I've never tried halloumi but it's one of those things that I do want to try, I think I'll look for some when I go shopping.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I have never tried this cheese. Maybe someday! Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

Rose said...

Another new-to-me food! I'm not sure if halloumi is available locally, but this dish certainly looks interesting. Have a great week, Jan!

Valerie-Jael said...

This is indeed a wonderful cheese which I often buy here for a weekend treat. Hugs, Valerie

Jutta.K. said...

Ich liebe Halloumi !
Danke für das leckere Rezept .
♥liche Grüße

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Very interesting information about this cheese and for example the storage.
It's not my favourite, but many members of our family love it. :)
Have a happy week! xx

DeniseinVA said...

Looks marvelous Jan. Thank you for always supplying us with delicious and healthy recipes.

Christine said...

I've had this delicious cheese, thanks for the memory!

Adam said...

I think it's funny when people don't want anything but a cow's milk. What makes it the "better" animal?

William Kendall said...

I've never heard of it before.

This N That said...

Never heard of that kind of cheese...But...I don't think I've met a cheese that I don't like..Have a good day!!

Linda said...

I do love Greek cuisine, Jan, but I have never tried this cheese before. I have tried Feta, though, and do like it. Thank you so much for sharing, this looks and sounds delicious!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Something new I've learned about today. I'll have to see if it's available in our area.

Sandra Cox said...

I've never heard of this cheese but it sounds really good. I wonder how your ingredients would work out as a grilled panini sandwich.

RO said...

Ironically, it looks like I'll be visiting your awesome blog a lot more! Just found out I have diabetes and have to revamp my entire menu, which is not the most fun thing in the world. Thanks for the awesome recipe ideas. Hugs...

baili said...

new thing to me though yet interesting dear friend.

thank you for sharing so many useful stuff with us .
Have a pleasant days ahead.

Bob Bushell said...

Love it.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a coincidence Jan, Aimee was saying just yesterday that halloumi is one of her favourite cheeses, I'll send this one over to her.. I find it a wee bit too salty.

JFM said...

Definitely sounds like how I like to eat...I do enjoy white cheese~

Big Hugs Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

RO said...
Ironically, it looks like I'll be visiting your awesome blog a lot more! Just found out I have diabetes and have to revamp my entire menu, which is not the most fun thing in the world. Thanks for the awesome recipe ideas. Hugs...

Sorry you have joined the club no one wants to join. Check out our Introduction to low-carb for beginners. http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/introduction-to-low-carb-for-beginners.html and you will see how to control your diabetes in a very easy way.

All the best of luck and health to you and yours.

Eddie

Lisa said...

I LOVE this cheese. I saw someone was trying to devise a mild korma curry using halloumi instead of meat, that sounded so good to me.
Lisa x

Lisabella Russo said...

That looks delicious! I haven't tried that type of cheese before...

Crafty Green Poet said...

halloumi is one of my favourite cheeses!

Snowbird said...

That does look tasty.xxx

Magic Love Crow said...

I have never heard of this cheese! Thanks Jan!