Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 March 2017

Let’s take a look at energy expenditure.

I have often wondered about the effects of very low calorie diet. It's a fact almost all fail, starvation even medium term does not sound like a good idea to me. Have you ever wondered where the energy goes from the food (our fuel) ends up, and what is it used for. I found it interesting our liver burns up more energy than we use in physical activity such as work etc. I think this gives a good indication why exercise is not the best way to lose weight.

About 70% of a human's total energy expenditure is due to the basal life processes within the organs of the body. About 20% of ones energy expenditure comes from physical activity and another 10% from thermo genesis or digestion of food. So, with 70% of energy being used just to stay alive and only 20% of ones energy available for physical activity.


Chart taken from and more info here

Eddie   

10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, thank for the info. I think diet and exercise is best. I hope you are having a great day!

only slightly confused said...

I did not know that.

Sandra Cox said...

Interesting. I would have thought the heart or brain would have been higher in energy expenditure.

JFM said...

Learn useful info here all of the time... thank you!!!

Dianna said...

Thanks so much for this information. I've been enjoying the information you've been sharing.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting info. I know of 2 blog friends who have loved ones being fed thru a feeding tube. It sure makes me thankful that I can eat.

Galina L. said...

Brilliant! I didn't expect our livers to be that busy!

Kay G. said...

Sounds like I am mostly eating for my liver! Interesting!

Magic Love Crow said...

Very, very interesting!

Debbie said...

interesting information...i wonder if my liver is doing double time!!!