Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 March 2017

The Twelve Most Nutrient Dense Foods in the World

Michael Joseph from Nutrition Advance writes:

"Not all food is made the same. While some foods are incredibly high in nutrients, others are just empty calories and even harmful to our health.

This article takes a look at some of the most nutritious foods available, and if you think that only means fruits and vegetables, then you’d be wrong.

Here are 12 of the most nutrient dense foods in the world.

1. Liver


Key Point: Liver is one of the most nutrient dense foods on earth. It’s high in protein and also extremely rich in vitamins and minerals.

2. Cacao
Key Point: Real chocolate—without all the sugar—is one of the healthiest, most nutritious foods on the planet.

3. Eggs





Key Point: Eggs are rich in minerals, high in vitamins, and full of beneficial compounds. They’re one of the most nutrient dense foods money can buy.

4. Avocado
Key Point: Avocados are the most nutrient dense fruit going, and they’re delicious. Compared to an apple, an avocado per day better keeps the doctor away.

5. Wild Alaskan Salmon


Key Point: Salmon is one of the most nutrient dense foods from the sea, but ideally opt for wild-caught if you can.

6. Oysters
Key Point: Oysters are one of the most nutritious foods in the world. And there are so many creative recipes out there.

7. Steak
Key Point: Despite fear mongering in the media, steak is actually one of the most nutrient dense foods we have. It’s delicious too.

8. Seaweed
Key Point: Seaweed is another excellent example of a high nutrient-density food — and it can play a huge role in a health-protective diet.

9. Spinach
Key Point: Spinach is one of the most nutrient dense foods; it’s extremely rich in vitamins and minerals, and various studies show it plays a role in disease prevention.

10. Sardines




Key Point: Sardines are one of the most nutrient dense foods from the sea, and they’re especially high in calcium, selenium, and vitamin D.

11. Mushrooms
Key Point: Mushrooms are one of the tastiest and most nutrient dense foods. They also improve the taste of almost any dish that uses them.

12. Almonds
Key Point: Rich in micronutrients and antioxidants, almonds are one of the most nutritious foods in the world.

The Most Nutrient Dense Foods
Generally speaking, the most nutrient dense foods come from animals and the sea. Perhaps this is why so many people enjoy success with
the ketogenic style of eating
By the same token, some plant foods such as leafy greens, nuts, and sea vegetables can also be reasonably nutritious.
Given this, we should ask why dietary guidelines emphasize grains and high-sugar fruits so much.
If dietary guidance also focused on nutrient density, maybe we’d all be a little healthier."

Words above from, Nutrition Advance, a website dedicated to providing nutrition and health articles backed by the latest science.

Please read Michael's full article with all information / research links
here

All the best Jan

23 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Very interesting, and I'm happy to say that they are all things I like. Hugs, Valerie

JFM said...

This is a wonderful post Jan. I hope you don't mind that I have printed this off to keep for a reference when I need it.

Thank you so much for all of the time you and the "lowcarb team" spend sharing the information and recipes that you have researched~

Have a Lovely Sunday

Hugs

only slightly confused said...

Good information. Thanks.

Breathtaking said...

Hello!:) Thank you for your much appreciated visit.:) Apart from the seaweed,oysters and liver, that I actually don't much care for, we eat all these recommended dense foods regularly. I wish I liked the other food, because I now know it's good for you. Thank you for the info.:)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Good to see my belief in cocoa / dark chocolate underlined there!
I need to eat more spinach definitely

sage said...

With the exception of liver, which I can't stand, I'm doing okay. I regularly eat 10 out of 12.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this is a great post. I already eat a lot of these foods. I should eat eggs more often for breakfast. Have a happy day and new week ahead!

Revrunner said...

l knew someone who had some kind of unusual nutrient imbalance and therefore had to eat a certain amount of liver every day. Ca you imagine? Yuk!

sandy said...

wow i learned something - especially about almonds. The two things I would never eat off this list are liver and oysters ....gag....but the rest - good to know! Hope your spring is wonderful.

Christine said...

Interesting, forgot about seaweed!

happyone said...

Not crazy about liver, oysters, or avocado.

John M said...

They also taste good.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

We eat at least eight of these. I must say I am surprised to see mushrooms. I do love them and had a serving with stir fried veggies today. Have a good week. ♥

Draffin Bears said...

Dear Jan,

Thanks for sharing this interesting post - we eat all these food and enjoy that they are healthy and good for us. Every morning I have a little handful of almonds with my 10 am cup of coffee.
Happy new week
hugs
Carolyn

Linda said...

Fascinating post, Jan! And I love most of the foods on that list!

River said...

I eat six of those foods on a regular basis and if I could find real cacao within my budget, it would be seven. I occasionally eat salmon and sardines, but really dislike the others.

Lisa said...

A really diverse list of items from steak to seaweed!
Interesting info to have, thank you.
Have a good week.
Lisa x

Conniecrafter said...

Well I eat half of them so hopefully that will be good for me, I just can't stomach seafood :(

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Interesting list. Thanks!!!! I eat some on the list regularly and others on occasion... Love LIVER --but hubby is not crazy about it... Love EGGS and eat them regularly.... Also love almonds (eat regularly), spinach, mushrooms (eat regularly), steak (YUM), a piece of dark chocolate every day, and salmon.....

Hugs,
Betsy

Dewena said...

Made a list of these and read the article in link. I already love all of these except for liver--haven't fixed that in decades but might try again--and haven't ever tried seaweed. I have to admit to liking oysters fried.

Really informative and interesting, Jan!

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you for the list! I have written down all the information! Thank you for all the work you do on this blog! Big hugs!

Steve Parker, M.D. said...

A good thing about sardines as a source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids is that sardines typically carry a lower risk of mercury poisoning compared to larger long-lived fish.

-Steve

Sue (this n that) said...

Very good to know, thank you :D)