Total Pageviews

Thursday 16 March 2017

Sizzling Lamb Steaks


Lamb can be expensive, but the taste is (usually) delicious...

Now, let me tell you a little story! Talking with a friend recently she was telling me how she is doing her best to reduce the amount of sugar her 17yr old son often consumes. By no means is he overweight, but she feels (and I agree) that having too much sugar in your diet/menu plans is not the most healthiest of choices. She has encouraged him to go shopping with her and lets him choose at least five vegetables or fruits which she then incorporates in the dishes she prepares. Apparently this is working well, he enjoys the challenge of the choice and she appreciates the help in carrying shopping bags home ...

By the way she is allowing him a once a week treat of a donut EEK !!!
I have suggested she try some of these low carb ones here ...

But to get back to the subject of lamb! If you enjoy the taste of lamb do try this recipe, the accompanying salad is so colourful and tasty, and don't you just love the sound of sizzling steaks!

By the way my friends son loves choosing oranges ... so it's a winner in their house too! LOL!

Ingredients:
Serves Four
2tsp ground cumin
2tsp hot chilli sauce
4 lamb steaks

For the salad
3 carrots
1 cucumber 
2 oranges, segmented
2 roasted red peppers, cut into chunks
75g (3oz) olives
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar 

Method:
1.  Sprinkle the cumin and chilli sauce on both sides of the steaks, marinate for 15 minutes (if you have time).
2. Preheat the grill then cook the lamb steaks for 8-12 minutes, turning halfway through, until the meat is tender.
3. Meanwhile, make the salad. Using a peeler, cut the carrots and cucumber into long thin strips. Using a sharp knife, cut the top and bottom off each orange, cut away all the peel and pith, then cut out each segment of orange (hold the fruit over a bowl as you do this to catch the juice; use it in the dressing).
4. Mix the carrots, cucumber, oranges and roasted pepper and olives in a salad bowl and drizzle with the orange juice and balsamic vinegar.
5. Allow the meat to rest for 3-4 minutes, then slice and arrange on top of the salad. Serve immediately.

Each serving, as per recipe above:
Carbohydrate 17.9g Protein 32.6g Fibre 5.3g Fat 12.5g


If you are not too keen on cucumber or olives you could perhaps substitute them for fresh mint leaves and juicy pomegranate seeds!

Original recipe idea
here

Enjoy ...

All the best Jan

15 comments:

only slightly confused said...

Not a big fan of the lamb here.....to my nose, it smells funny. I can never get past my nose.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

What a lovely, colorful and delicious Spring dish!
Thank you for sharing.

Jemma

Valerie-Jael said...

BIG sigh, that the food is not within my reach, it looks soooooooooooo good. Thanks for sharing the recipes! Hugs, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I do not eat lamb often. This recipe does sound delicious. Cutting back on the sugar intake is good for all of us. Have a happy day!

William Kendall said...

That looks delicious!

Christine said...

Yummy!

Jo said...

Yum, I love lamb, this dish looks delicious.

NatureFootstep said...

don´t know why, but I could never get used to eat lamb :(

happyone said...

I do like lamb but my husband doesn't so I don't make it.
Sounds like a good idea to get kids to eat better.

Anonymous said...

I have never tasted lamb.

Linda said...

Looks really good!

Candy S said...

The salad looks fabulous.... At first I thought the thinly shaved carrots slices were mango slices(my appetite immediately went into mango mode). I do think I will use your recipe using pork steaks and add a few shaved slices of fresh mango to the salad. Once I get it in my head that I want mango I will not be happy until I get some.

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
We have not had lamb in so long.
This looks so good.
Carla

Magic Love Crow said...

That's good that your friend is getting her 17 year old son involved! Yummy food! Thank you!

Lisa said...

Getting her son involved in the shopping is such a good idea, it takes time and planning to get a meal plan sorted.
Lamb is something we never buy, but I can see the spicy sauce being popular.
Lisa x