Total Pageviews

Saturday 25 August 2018

Blackberry Cobbler/Crumble : Low Carb : How To Pick Blackberries


How about this low carb alternative to blackberry cobbler/crumble! Not only is it low carb, it's gluten free and sugar free too … plus it's quick and easy to make. I'm sure you will enjoy it … served with thick double (heavy) cream … or Cornish clotted cream, it makes a pleasing dessert. 

Ingredients:
Serves Four
5g carbs per serving
10 oz. (275g) fresh blackberries
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp arrowroot powder (optional)
½ cup (60g) almond flour
¼ cup (30g) coconut flour
2 tbsp. erythritol
1 egg

3 oz. (75g) butter
To Serve:
1 cup (225ml) heavy (double) whipping cream (optional)
Tip:
Chopped walnuts or pecans can be mixed into the topping to add a nutty crunch to the cobbler.
Recipe Instructions:
Can be found here


How to Pick Blackberries
I have to agree with Hannah Williams, when she says, ... Few things sum up British summertime better than a scramble through a blackberry bush clutching an empty tub ready to fill! And, provided you're not trespassing on private property, blackberry picking is a great way of sourcing a cheap summer pudding.

Crumbles and pies aside what can you do with the bountiful berry? Here are some top tips for handling all that free fruit...

Choose carefully
Like many things in life, the most successful blackberries will be ones that stand out from the crowd. They should be shiny and firm when you pick them though fruits do seem to vary in flavour from place to place. Seasoned blackberry hunters often have favourite bushes whose harvest they prefer to any neighbouring bush. As you can try before you 'buy' shop around to find what suits you, avoiding bushes by busy roads or fruit low enough to be 'watered' by passing dogs.

When to pick
Blackberries are normally at their best at the end of August to September. Legend has it any picked after the end of this month are best avoided as the devil is said to have peed on them. Not sure this is true but by October the damp weather will have certainly soiled many crops.

Where to pick
Grown in abundance in all manner of hedgerows across the country blackberries are not restricted to rural areas but regularly spotted along canal paths and across wasteland in towns and cities alike.

How to collect
Although it's hard to resist raiding each hedgerow try not to stack loads on top of each other or they'll bruise and squash before you get them home. Use a couple of containers if you want to pick lots of berries though it's always good to leave plenty for other pickers too.

Tip
When picking blackberries, or any small fruit, take a large plastic type milk jug with you, it is easier to hold on to the handle than hold a tub, the blackberries fit easily through the top. For children use a small milk jug as it will not weigh as much and it is easier for them to hold onto than a tub. When emptying, have patience as the berries will only come out one at a time, or, carefully cut the top of the jug and tip the berries out.

How to store
Try to keep them dry when storing and they should last for two to three days. If refrigerating let them come to room temperature before eating, as they'll taste much juicier that way. Don't worry if you've picked more than you can handle, blackberries are easily frozen and can be baked straight from the freezer with no need to defrost. Freeze on a tray in a single layer so they don't all squish together or puree them first then freeze the liquid in a bag or ice cube tray.

What to cook
Pies and crumbles are the obvious choice but blackberries also taste delicious served with savoury meats, or on their own with some double cream. 


I wonder - will you be blackberry picking soon, or making a low carb crumble/cobbler?

Regular readers will know that a variety of articles and recipe ideas, are within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds great! Thanks to the hot weather the blackberries here were ripe in June and July, and I enjoyed them. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Jo said...

It looks delicious. Blackberry picking isn't something I've done recently but I remember it from my childhood.

Elephant's Child said...

Blackberry picking (and pies and jams) were a part of my childhood. Sunburn, scratched arms, red mouths, stained clothing and delicious treats. And a wary eye for the snakes who were very often nearby.

DUTA said...

I love fruit and everything with fruit, but (sigh) they do contain a lot of sugar. We have to learn to eat them moderately.

Tom said...

...a wonderful summer treat.

roughterrain crane said...

It must be great fun to pick blackberries on a sunny day. It would be better to bring mosquito repellent. :-)

Ygraine said...

Oh how I adore blackberries!!
This is definitely a recipe for me...thank you so much.😊😊

Have a fabulous weekend!

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe. Blackberry picking is fun and tasty.

Tina

baili said...

i don't know if they are the same berries i used to pick up during my childhood
thank you for fantastic post and recipe my friend

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love all the fruit cobblers. YUM! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Enjoy your day and weekend!

Christine said...

This looks so good, thanks for the tips

Crafty Green Poet said...

We love picking blackberries and, earlier in the year, raspberries. Generally my partner's Mother will make jam out of them though with the raspberries I eat a lot of them before she gets the chance!

Martha said...

Such a wonderful treat!

JFM said...

Oh yes, I am loving this one already as I devour it with my eyes :)

Have a Lovely Weekend~

Catarina said...

Will make it today even thought I do not have the almond flour today. I know I will like it!
: )

William Kendall said...

I can't remember if I've ever had blackberries.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

YUM.... that looks delicious. When George and I are out hiking, we sometimes find wild blackberries and enjoy them on a hot, summer hike...

Tennessee has great strawberries --so we enjoy them a lot in Summer especially.

Hugs,
Betsy

Snowbird said...

Perfect for the early autumn.xxx

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I have very fond memories of picking blackberries with my family in the late summer. I love them, but no longer have a good spot to pick them so I buy them at the market. My husband doesn't like the hard seed in the center, but to me it just tastes like summer. My Mama always made a blackberry roll. Your recipe sounds great. ♥

Carol Blackburn said...

Looks marvelous! I have memories of picking blueberries by the pond as a child, on my Grandparent's farm. Such fun. Enjoy your day.

Bob Bushell said...

I luv blackberries, also I luv to prick them, bring on October.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I just mentioned blackberry cobbler in another comment and said it was something that reminded me of summers long ago! I'll print out this recipe and hopefully I can get the ingredients to make it. Wonder if I can get my 4 'boys' to go pick blackberries for me. Oh yes....they are all grown now and have moved away! I still love the memories though!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I was able to print out a copy of the recipe! I LOVE that website and appreciate you giving me the link to it. I never get to have dessert and think I need to change that! heehee!

Magic Love Crow said...

So yummy! Thank you Jan! Big Hugs!

Debbie said...

oooh i love this and blackberries!! i saved this recipe!!