Total Pageviews

Friday 31 August 2018

Brussels Sprouts and Hamburger Gratin : LCHF


I have to admit when I was growing up I was never a fan of Brussels Sprouts … but tastes do change and now I really enjoy them in my menu plans. If you are not too keen on Brussels Sprouts I'm sure this recipe would work with alternatives such as courgettes (zucchini) or aubergines (egg-plant). The joy of any recipe idea/suggestion is that it can be tweaked to suit the individual taste. We have so many great tasting foods - it's a delicious world out there!

Anyway, on to the recipe... here is what you need for a super delicious combination of hearty Brussels sprouts and cheese-covered ground/minced beef.

Ingredients:
Serves Four

15 oz. (450g) ground/minced beef
8 oz. (225g) bacon, diced
15 oz. (450g) Brussels sprouts, cut in halves
4 tbsp. sour cream
2 oz. (50g) butter
5 1⁄3 oz. (150g) shredded/grated cheese
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning

salt and pepper, to taste

Method:
See here





Brussels sprouts are rich in many valuable nutrients, and not just to be enjoyed at Christmas. These 'mini cabbages' have a nutty, distinct flavour but they are seen as "The quintessential Christmas dinner veg. Brussels sprouts are thought to have been cultivated in Belgium in the 16th century - hence the name. Although they're related to cabbage - they even look like a miniature, compact version - they have a sweet, nutty flavour, which some people can find bitter. They grow in multiple rows along a thick, central stalk.
Read more here

Dear reader, this blog brings a variety of recipe ideas/suggestions, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

16 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm a big fan of brussels sprouts. I can eat them with just a bit of butter and herbs. I love them.

BTW, I missed the toothbrush post from yesterday, and learned a few things, especially the history of brushing twice daily and not to brush right after a meal. Very informative.

Elephant's Child said...

I really don't like them. I blame my mother who boiled them to a nasty soft grey consistency.
And a question? Did you mean to post the posts which appeared with 'Do Not Post' in the title?

Lowcarb team member said...

BLOG ERROR?

Sorry there seemed to be an error this morning … too many posts appeared!?
Not too sure why … but I have since deleted them.

The toothbrush post and the other two will now be posted at another time.


As always many thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.

Happy Friday and last day of August wishes too

All the best Jan

Lynn said...

I adore brussels sprouts. My niece's husband put them in a low country shrimp boil last Saturday - so good.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I can´t wait till the season begins over here, I love Brussels Sprouts!

Jo said...

I love Brussels Sprouts, especially on a Christmas dinner. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without them.

Tom said...

...Brussels sprouts have never been a favorite of mine.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love brussel sprouts Jan, my husband not so much, so it's always good to find ways to make them more appetizing to him, either that or I just eat his share 😉

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another good recipe.

Tina

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds very yummy indeed! Hugs, Valerie

William Kendall said...

I've always liked them.

Sue said...

You know I don't mind Brussel sprouts, they are deffinitely not just for Christmas xx

Chris Lally said...

Can't wait to try this, Jan.
Thank you!!

Magic Love Crow said...

I'm sorry, I don't like Brussels sprouts, but I would try them in this recipe! Big Hugs!

DMS said...

I like Brussel sprouts. I didn't when I was growing up- but now- I do enjoy them. :)
~Jess

carol l mckenna said...

Sounds yummy!

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores