Total Pageviews

Sunday 26 August 2018

Chicken, Mozzarella and Parma Ham : A Delicious Low Carb Meal


This is a favourite! Cheesy mozzarella-stuffed chicken wrapped in crisp, Parma ham - so delicious for dinner, although you may prefer it for lunch - the choice is yours!
One thing's for sure it's a speedy recipe, ready in about 30 minutes and very easy to prepare. Get the ingredients, head for the kitchen and here we go ...

Ingredients
Serves Four
4 chicken breast fillets
250g ball mozzarella, sliced into 8
20g fresh basil
78g (approx.) Parma ham
1 tsp olive oil 
To Serve
salad or steamed greens, (optional) 
buttered new potatoes, (optional)

Method
1. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Lay the chicken fillets on a chopping board, season all over and make a small incision (about 4-5cm long and 3cm deep) with a sharp knife in the middle of each one.
2. Stuff 2 slices of the mozzarella and 3 basil leaves into the ‘pocket’ – don’t worry if either is poking out a little. Wrap each chicken breast with 1½ slices of the Parma ham to cover the breast and seal in the pocket.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and sear the chicken and ham parcels on both sides until golden. Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until the chicken is cooked through with no pink showing (cut into the thickest part of the breast to check the meat is cooked through).
4. Optional - Serve with a side salad or some steamed greens, if you like...perhaps some buttered new potatoes.

Nutritional Details, per serving
Carbohydrate 0.7g Protein 52.8g Fat 17g
Taken from original idea here

Parma ham, or prosciutto di Parma, refers to cured ham produced specifically in the Parma region of Italy. There are around 160 producers of Parma ham in this region, each following the specific (and painstaking) curing procedure, which includes the legal requirement that the ham must be cured for a minimum of 12 months. The result is a gorgeously distinctive and full flavour that is at once both sweet and salty. The ham makes a wonderful alternative to bacon.

Dear reader, this blog brings a variety of recipe ideas/suggestions, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Tom said...

...it looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Deliciousness on a plate.

Tina

eileeninmd said...

Hello, This looks delicious. I could do without the ham. Enjoy your day and new week ahead.

Jo said...

That's a favourite meal here too.

Pam said...

That all looks so yummy. I enjoyed cooking but I really don’t. I like fast and simple meals...

Sandra Cox said...

If I still ate meat, I'd love this one.
Hope your day is lovely.

Mary Kirkland said...

I had to Google what Parma Ham was, we know it as prosciutto here. This looks good. I would eat this meal.

Christine said...

Thanks for the info on parma ham, the meal looks delicious although I was surprised to see new potatoes on your plate today!

Bill said...

A fantastic meal, one of my favorites.

Lowcarb team member said...

Christine said:
"Thanks for the info on parma ham, the meal looks delicious although I was surprised to see new potatoes on your plate today!"

LOL! You noticed!!!
Yes, new potatoes were an optional choice and would not appear on all plates …

My sister always enjoys them so for her they would be included, Eddie and I would not have them preferring some steamed greens, although a side salad does go well with this dish too!

Many thanks for your comment Christine, hope you've had a good weekend.

All the best Jan

DeniseinVA said...

You supply us with a never ending list of delicious recipes. My continued thanks Jan. Have a great week!

Elephant's Child said...

I am glad you cleared up the new potatoes mystery. I was wondering why they were making an appearance.
Have a wonderful potato free week.

happyone said...

I can see why it is a favorite!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is actually making me hungry. Ironic since I have never been a fan of chicken. The power of a good photograph can't be underestimated.






The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

This is a wonderful recipe, Jan. It is one that I will be making soon. Thank you! ♥

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Jan,
That's looking so well.
Nice to see every time a new lovely meal.

Kind regards,
Marco

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

POTATOES

Are those potatoes I see on my low-carb leader's plate?

A Casa Madeira said...


Beautiful presentation.
It must be really good.
Nice to meet your blog.
janicce.

William Kendall said...

All of the ingredients appeal to me, so I'd definitely go for that.

Lowcarb team member said...

Author R Mac Wheeler said:
"POTATOES

Are those potatoes I see on my low-carb leader's plate?"

Hi Mac, and many thanks for your comment.

The new potatoes are an optional serving, and they are not on my plate!
My sister loves them and I do occasionally have the in the house! As I said to Christine above, 'Eddie and I would not have them preferring some steamed greens, although a side salad does go well with this dish too!'

I do hope you may try out this recipe because the Cheesy mozzarella-stuffed chicken wrapped in crisp, Parma ham has only 0.7g carbs ... this dish is a winner!

Enjoy your week

All the best Jan

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Anything with mozzarella cheese sounds like a winner to me! Add in the prosciutto, and I'm in!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my this does sound so delicious, will have to put this on my list

Iris Flavia said...

LOL. 30 minutes is the longest I can take! (See Jamie´s 15 minute meals).
I have to laugh, but really, it sounds yummy (minus the oven!).

Magic Love Crow said...

So good! Thank you Jan! Big Hugs!

Debbie said...

i really like prosciutto and this sounds like a great recipe. one that could be easily halved for the hubs and i!!!