Total Pageviews

Thursday 23 August 2018

Minced/Ground Beef and Tomato Bake with Cauliflower Topping : Lower Carb


Growing up I can remember enjoying my Dear Mums Shepherds' Pie and Cottage Pie … we usually had them on a Monday using the minced up meat that was left over from the previous day's Sunday Roast Dinner. Back then, I nearly always got the title wrong, because of course what minced/ground meat you use determines whether it's a Shepherds Pie or a Cottage Pie!

As Chef Jamie Oliver says, in his article '10 things you didn’t know about shepherd’s pie'... No.1 is 'Let’s start with a fairly well-known one: there is a difference between “cottage pie” and “shepherd’s pie”, and it’s in the meat. Shepherd’s pie should only be named as such if it contains lamb, and “cottage” usually applies to one made with beef.'

Well, now there is a lower carb alternative to this popular dish. Have a look at Pascale Naessens' take on this dish, where cauliflower replaces the traditional mashed potato topping. A convenient and comforting all-in-one dinner, which can be enjoyed by all the family … or just the two of you! It's perfect for cooking in advance and freezes well, so you could make individual pies if you'd prefer!

Ingredients:
Serves 4 to 6
½ cauliflower
2/3 small yellow onions
2/3 carrots (not too large)
9 oz. (250g) cherry tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
14 oz. (400g) minced/ground beef

¼ cup (60ml) olive oil

Recipe instructions are here


The humble onion is found in every kitchen, but its curative powers make it an important medicinal plant too. Like garlic, it is a member of the lily family. There can be no doubting the power of the juices contained in onions; anyone who has ever sliced one and shed a tear is only too aware that they hold something special. Quite apart from its medicinal properties the onion is simply delicious. It forms the basis of so many dishes - whether raw, sautéed, baked, steamed or boiled, that it would be difficult to imagine the cuisine of any country without it.
Read more about them here

There are many good recipes around the internet (to suit all tastes), which can so often be 'tweaked' a little to better suit you, and your families tastes. This blog brings a variety of recipe ideas/suggestions, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

As always, thank you for reading this post … it's been good to have your company... and do please share your thoughts in the comments section below.

All the best Jan

18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds good! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Cauliflower is such a versatile veggie. I love it, and wish I could coax my partner into eating it more often.

Bill said...

Sounds delicious! Thanks Jan

Tom said...

...I should have this for supper tonight.

Linda said...

I live in the South of the US. I had never heard of a shepherds pie until I was grown with a house of my own. I assumed it was a fruit pie--dessert. Cottage pie--did not care. To this day, I have had neither. I don't think I have ever seen it on a menu anywhere.

William Kendall said...

All of the ingredients appeal to me, so I'd go for that.

Out on the prairie said...

I have all this only shrimp for dinner tonight, lots of cauli here

Christine said...

I use a cauliflower topping on my 'cottage pie', it is really effective for my diabetic husband,great sugar readings.

sandy said...

I have never had shepherds pie or cottage pie but the photo looks delicious.

happyone said...

My goodness, that looks delicious.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I love shepherd's pie, but I've never made it with cauliflower. I wonder if I could "sneak" it past my hubby... it's worth a try!

I can't imagine not having onions and garlic in our kitchen. In our state, a special "sweet" onion is grown, and it's quite popular. (Called a Vidalia onion.) I don't care for them. If an onion is mild enough to eat out-of-hand like an apple, why bother?

Chris Lally said...

Jan, I've just finished eating and now I'm hungry again. Will try this yummy looking recipe soon!

Lady Fi said...

That topping looks delicious.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've been substituting cauliflower to replace mashed potatoes for over a year. I learned something about my youth, though. I never had shepherd's pie, instead my grandmother made cottage pie. Never too old to learn something new!

Carol Blackburn said...

Sounds wonderful! Great when you want to heat up the house a bit by using the oven.

Martha said...

This sounds so lovely!

Iris Flavia said...

This sounds delicious, too!
When the heat is gone I´ll try it in a pan :-)

Magic Love Crow said...

Looks so good! Thanks Jan! Big Hugs!