Total Pageviews

Sunday 3 December 2023

Cranberries come into their own around Christmas and Holiday Season

Further to yesterday's post where the delicious Braised Beef with red wine and cranberries recipe was highlighted, today I continue with a cranberry theme.


But first, a little more about cranberries. They are a tart, ruby-red coloured berry which grows wild on shrubs throughout northern Europe and North America. High in vitamins C and D, potassium and iron they are believed to be a natural remedy for a host of health conditions.

Cranberries are at their best between October and December, and come into their own around Christmas. They are good for much more than accompanying the turkey. Their sour flavour lends itself well to both sweet and savoury dishes, as well as drinks.

When buying fresh cranberries look for plump, firm, red berries. Cranberries can be kept in the fridge for at least two months or frozen for up to a year ... but they're also available dried.
Read more about cranberries here

Some recipes you may like to try

Fruit Cake, with cranberries, a low carb alternative,
more details here


Sautéed sprouts with almonds and cranberries
more details here


Braised beef with red wine and cranberry
more details here


Mince Pies, the low carb way
more details here


Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Linda said...

I love cranberries. My cooked cranberries are so tart, more than usual, because I reduce the sugar by 2/3. Back when I was making dressing from scratch, cornbread dressing, I would put dried cranberries in cornbread that was baked for after the holidays. To the dressing, I would add the dried cranberries, chicken or turkey, and put gravy on it to eat.

The cranberries cannot be the commercially dried ones since they have sweetener and oil. I dehydrate them in my Excalibur dehydrator. I put a slit in each cranberry before dehydrating to prevent case hardening. These are so delicious in many foods.

I need to purchase several bags for the freezer.

Tom said...

...I buy fresh cranberries and make sauce sweetened with xylitol.

Christine said...

Love cranberries

J.P. Alexander said...

Adoro los arándanos. Gracias por las recetas.

MELODY JACOB said...

I NEVER REALLY ATE ALOT OF CRANBERRY BUT THIS LOOKS SO GOOD.
I just shared a new post and would love for you to check it out. Thanks a bunch!
https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/12/festive-and-heartwarming-holiday-films.html

Elephant's Child said...

We very rarely see fresh ones here. I do love them and rely on cranberry juice to ward of UTIs.

dellgirl said...

This is interesting information. Thanks to you, I now know more than I did before reading here today. Thank you for sharing this with us. I wish you all the best, have a wonderful Sunday!

Margaret D said...

Cranberry sauce with Turkey in our house.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I love cranberries. I have a favourite raw Cranberry relish. They do freeze well and I stock up my freezer with this delicious wonder berry.

linda said...

I love cranberries and enjoy them any way they come, the colour of them is lovely too very seasonal.

eileeninmd said...

I love cranberries, sauce and juice!

Take care, have a wonderful week!

Laura. M said...

Me gustan los arándamos y ahora es una buena época.
Buen domingo para Todos.
Un abrazo.

roughterrain crane said...

Thank you for good information.

Jeanie said...

Cranberries are a favorite of mine and I alawys buy some during this season to freeze for later. Which reminds me -- I have a bag in the freezer I'd best get out!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great recipe ideas for them. - Anne (Cornucopia)

Aritha V. said...

Your photos are so nice. Love the recipes. Mjammie

Norma2 said...

Coincidentally, yesterday I bought blueberries, I'll try your recipe.

CJ Kennedy said...

Massachusetts, the state where I live, is one of the largest producers of cranberries in the US. Love 'em.

Mary Kirkland said...

I like some cranberry dishes. Dried cranberries in my salad is really good too.

Stefania said...

Deliziose queste ricette 😋😋😋

happyone said...

I like cranberries. I put dried ones in cookies.

Divers and Sundry said...

Mince pies, yummy!

Bill said...

I love cranberries. We just had some cranberry muffins that Shari made and they are delicious.

DeniseinVA said...

All delicious recipes and ready for the season. Thanks Jan :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Cranberries are my favorite as well and there is always a bag in the freezer for baking or making cranberry sauce. I have also been using dried cranberries (craisins) in morning oatmeal and last week made a pumpkin-craisin bread, easy and delicious.

Lorrie said...

We love cranberries. I make cranberry sauce to eat with roast chicken (and turkey!), and keep a few bags in the freezer for muffins and cakes.

Conniecrafter said...

I like things that have a hint of the cranberries but not over powering of them :)

Teresa said...

Los arándanos me encantan. Besos.