Total Pageviews

Thursday 14 December 2023

Carrots, it's not only Bugs Bunny who likes to eat them!

image from google

It's not only 'Bugs Bunny' who enjoys eating carrots, they are popular in our house and the grandchildren enjoy them too ... they can often be found eating a raw carrot stick as a snack.

This colourful root vegetable is brilliantly versatile – it can be eaten raw or cooked, and is great in both sweet and savoury dishes. Carrots were most often purple until the late 16th century, when the familiar orange variety we eat today was cultivated by Dutch farmers.

Carrots are one of the most well-known root vegetables, and they top the chart as one of the most nutritious. They’re brimming with vitamins A and K, as well as the important antioxidant beta-carotene. What’s more, eating carotenoids may protect against age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the leading cause of vision loss. Carrots make a great snack when eaten raw or dipped in hummus, but they can also be cooked and used in stir-fries, stews or side dishes.
Here are some recipes you may like to try.

Carrot, Orange and Ginger Soup - see details here


Baked beets with carrots and leeks - see details here


Red Roasted Carrots - see details here


Carrot Cake, a low carb recipe - see details here


Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

I love carrots!

Tom said...

...I've heard that carrots are good for your eyes. Of course rabbits don't wear glasses!

J.P. Alexander said...

Me encantan las zanahorias. Te mando un beso.

aussie aNNie said...

OMG I always seem to view your page on meal time having a basic boring bread roll... this looks so delish x

Anonymous said...

The one vegetable that is always in the shopping basket. I love them roasted.

Fun60 said...

My previous comment went through as anonymous! I was just saying that carrotsare a must in my weekly shopping bag.

Anonymous said...

I like roasted carrots -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Margaret D said...

Love carrots.

Elephant's Child said...

I like carrots a lot - as long as they are raw.

Steve Parker, M.D. said...

I also note that they're pretty easy to grow. They're a cold-season crop. My mice and pack rats seem to leave them alone in the garden. As the weather warms up, they tend to get powdery mildew, which is fairly easy controlled with neem oil spray.

-Steve

Donna said...

Not diabetic but it all looks so good!
hugs
Donna

DeniseinVA said...

I always enjoy your posts about foods. Love carrots raw or cooked and looking forward to trying these recipes. Thanks Jan, all the best!

eileeninmd said...

I like carrots and carrot cake is yummy.
Take care, have a wonderful day!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great uses for carrots (which I love). - Anne (Cornucopia)

Jeff said...

While I love carrots, it's one produce I've not tried to grow. I do love root vegetables.

Linda said...

We love carrots roasted with chicken.

happyone said...

We love carrots at our house!!

Ananka said...

Carrots are really versatile. I do like them :-D

Barwitzki said...

Thanks for the animation about the carrot. I will be incorporating it more into my diet and, above all, it is also good to eat raw.
Baked beets with carrots and leeks... wonderful -
just like the carrot cake with thick cream cheese icing :-)) yay I like it.
Lots of love to you from Viola

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We've enjoyed carrots in many of the ways shown here! This week, we had roasted baby carrots with honey, brown sugar, parsley with enough leftovers to enjoy again!

Laura. M said...

Me gustan las zanahorias y las uso mucho en la cocina. Hoy hice puré con ellas, puerros calabaza, patatas cebolla y ajos un chorrito de aceite de oliva. Queda muy bueno.
Gracias por las ricas recetas.
Un abrazo.

Teresa said...

También comemos zanahorias. Besos.

My name is Erika. said...

Yummy, carrots. They are one of my favorite fall an winter veggies.

P-and-P said...

Thank you for this selection of recipes with carrots. :)

Conniecrafter said...

I do eat a fair amount of carrots, I like them raw the most, my favorite cake is carrot cake too!

Phil Slade said...

If you buy those big bags of carrots at knockdown prices they can be frozen for later use in many dishes rather than using a few and throwing the rest away. Just a peel and quick blanch for 30 secs, run under a cold tap and left to dry. Bag them up in the freezer for soups, roasting or casseroles. Not many people know that.

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO Phil Slade

Many thanks for your hints and tips for the carrots :)

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

J.P. Alexander said...
Me encantan las zanahorias. Te mando un beso

I love carrots. I send you a kiss

Laura. M said...
Me gustan las zanahorias y las uso mucho en la cocina. Hoy hice puré con ellas, puerros calabaza, patatas cebolla y ajos un chorrito de aceite de oliva. Queda muy bueno.
Gracias por las ricas recetas.
Un abraz

I like carrots and use them a lot in the kitchen. Today I pureed them, leeks, pumpkin, potatoes, onion and garlic, a drizzle of olive oil. It looks very good.
Thank you for the delicious recipes.
A hug

Teresa said...
También comemos zanahorias. Besos

We also eat carrots. Kisses

baili said...

carrots are favorite of mine i love taking snacks before lunch or before dinner time
thanks for great post dear Jan
peace and health to you and to all you love!