Total Pageviews

Wednesday 13 December 2023

The Difference between Oranges, Mandarins, Tangerines, Satsumas and Clementine's

Oranges, Mandarins, Tangerines, Satsumas and Clementine's, are lovely orange fruits, but what is the difference between them? Read on to find out more 😊


Oranges are a popular citrus fruit commonly served as a nutritious snack or juiced for a sweet and colourful drink. With varieties that range from big, palm-sized fruits with navels or smaller fruits with a pink or deep red flesh, oranges are simply sweet and juicy on their own and are a wonderful addition to many recipes.

Mandarins are a type of orange citrus, and as one may have deduced by the name, originated from China. They come in a variety of sizes but all are typically smaller than oranges. Furthermore, the segments are smaller and tend to have a sweeter flavour. The colour of the skin ranges from orange to reddish hue. Their skin ranges in thickness, but is usually loosely attached to the fruit, making it easier to peel than an orange. Typically in grocery stores, fruit that is labelled as “mandarins” are actually tangerines.

Tangerines, satsumas and clementine's are all special varieties of mandarin oranges.

Tangerines are a special type of mandarin, and are distinguished by their deeper red hue. Many people refer to tangerines as both tangerines and mandarins; it can be confusing as not all mandarins are tangerines but all tangerines are mandarins. Tangerines are a type of mandarin that have a loose, thin skin that’s easy to peel, and a sweet flavour. They are distinctly larger than satsumas or clementine's, but are still smaller than an orange. They typically have a few seeds in each fruit. Tangerines are commonly sold in grocery stores with the leaves still attached, and as mentioned before, they can be labelled as “mandarins”.

Satsumas, like tangerines, are another special type of mandarin. They have loose skin that can be bumpy, making it hard to detect bruises. They are smaller than tangerines, like clementine's. Their sweet, typically seedless fruit is what makes them popular, but they are also often praised for their hardiness under the canning process. Most canned mandarins are actually canned satsumas.

Clementine's, again, are another special type of mandarin, and this variety is wildly popular around December holidays. Traditionally, they were included in children’s Christmas stockings. Kids love eating clementine's because they’re easy to peel and sweet to eat! The difference between a satsuma and a clementine is that a satsuma’s skin is typically thicker and looser while clementine's have a thinner skin that is tight to the fruit. Often, grocery stores will label both satsuma and clementine as a clementine.

Words and image above taken from article here

Talking about Clementine's, don't forget this wonderful, colourful
Christmas Salad
more details here


This blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, cartoons, music and recipes! However, not all the recipes featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting.
Satsumas and Clementines in our house are popular.

Tina

Tom said...

...they can be confusing.

J.P. Alexander said...

Me gustan mucho los cítricos. Te mando un beso.

Mari said...

This is very interesting! I've wondered about the different varieties. Now I need to hit the produce section and get some clementines or mandarins!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Was that you in the grocery store yesterday? lol

I had a conversation with a woman in the produce section about the differences between tangerines, clementines, and mandarins. No mention of Satusumas though. I bought a bag of mandarins. My loss of taste after the 2022 covid booster is slowly returning. I can taste a bit of mandarin.

Elephant's Child said...

How I wish that the stores labelled them correctly.

Margaret D said...

All different yet lovely to taste.

Linda said...

We eat Halos. Whatare they?
Practical Parsimony

DeniseinVA said...

That is very interesting and thank you for the Christmas Salad. It looks delicious! All the best Jan!

CJ Kennedy said...

I thought satsumas were just a Brit word for tangerine. Now I know. We got oranges in our Christmas stocking. Happy T Day

Jeanie said...

Thanks for this -- I've always wondered what the difference was and had no idea!

baili said...

Wow I enjoyed learning about types of oranges dear Jan
Thanks for sharing information that is interesting and might have remained unknown otherwise

Valerie-Jael said...

I love them ALL! Just saying hello, still in the grip of COVID! hugs, Valerie

Inger said...

A couple of the ones you describe, I've never tasted. I don't think they have them in our small town grocery store, but I will check.

DVArtist said...

Great post. We eat a lot of Mandarins here.

Anonymous said...

I get confused between mandarin and clementines -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

DUTA said...

My very favorite is the Pomela, and it doesn't appear on your list.

Bill said...

Thanks for expaining the differences. Here we buy easy peelers, I guess when that happens the grocers don't know what they really are so they call them easy peelers. :)

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Jan,
You can make of all food a party. So great and nice to see it.
I like the mandarins so much. The meal of Christmas Salad you have made looks delicious again.
Good to see how you can photograph all so well.

Many greetings,
Marco

Rain said...

This was so interesting, thank you!

Divers and Sundry said...

Tangerines are my favorite but so hard to find here.

happyone said...

I often wondered about that. Thanks for explaining it.

Bob Bushell said...

Also my favourite, peeling is a fun game, cheers Jan.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love them all, but mandarins are my favorites--love their scent.

Ananka said...

And they are all tasty. I'd have that salad minus the salmon! It sounds super good :-D

MELODY JACOB said...

This breakdown of the differences between oranges, mandarins, tangerines, satsumas, and clementines is incredibly informative. It's a handy guide for anyone looking to distinguish between these citrus fruits. 🍊🌟

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO Linda (Practical Parsimony) who said...
We eat Halos. What are they?


Hello there and many thanks for your comment and question.

Halos® are mandarins; however, while every Halo is a mandarin, not every mandarin can be a Halo. That’s because to earn their halos, every fruit must meet three requirements—easy to peel, seedless, and super sweet.

More to read here:-
https://www.halosfun.com/faq

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO DUTA who said...
My very favorite is the Pomela, and it doesn't appear on your list.

Hello there and many thanks for your comment and question.

I believe the fruit you are referring to is the Pomelo. It is a good-tasting citrus fruit that contains significant amounts of vitamin C and potassium. It is also known as the Chinese Grapefruit.
More to read about this fruit here:-
https://www.nutritionadvance.com/pomelo-nutrition-benefits/

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

I need to go peel one of the clementines I have in the frig. I love citrus fruit, especially eating any type of orange.

Lorrie said...

This is a good breakdown. I never know what is what when it comes to Mandarins, etc. Whatever their name, they are a delicious sweet treat.

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh my gosh, I love them all.

Linda said...

I thought Halos were mandarins, not sure. Now, I know. Thanks.

Teresa said...

Como sabes en España tenemos de toda esas varriedades, todas me gustan, pero la naranja es especial para mí. Tengo naranjas y aguacates en el jardín y prepararé la ensalada. Besos.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I had heard of all of these except for Satsumas. I've had all of the other ones (except for Mandarins), and like them. - Anne (Cornucopia)

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

J.P. Alexander said...
Me gustan mucho los cítricos. Te mando un bes

I really like citrus. I'm sending you a kiss

Teresa said...
Como sabes en España tenemos de toda esas varriedades, todas me gustan, pero la naranja es especial para mí. Tengo naranjas y aguacates en el jardín y prepararé la ensalada. Besos

As you know in Spain we have all these varieties, I like them all, but the orange is special to me. I have oranges and avocados in the garden and will make the salad. Kisses.

Conniecrafter said...

I learned a lot today, I typically just go for oranges

Phil Slade said...

Oranges from Spain seem to be at their very best around Christmas time. I just love those big juicy navel type but now almost £1 each. A bit expensive. Thanks for the info about the differences.