Total Pageviews

Tuesday 5 December 2023

Decembers Birth Flowers

Before I start todays post about Decembers Birth Flowers, I just want to take a moment to thank all readers, and especially those who took time to comment, on yesterdays post, 'What colour do you buy?' which was about eggs! Our blog stats show it was a very popular and well read post, but if you haven't seen it yet, you can find it here

Now here we go talking about Happiness and Hope
December Birth Flowers

December birth flowers are holly and narcissus (specifically, the paperwhite). While December’s flowers may be very different from each other, one being a bulb and the other an evergreen shrub, they both symbolize happiness and hope, and as we are quite close to saying goodbye to 2023 and welcoming 2024 these words may be appearing in your thoughts and resolutions ...

The Holly
Holly symbolizes a wish for domestic happiness.

Although some animals and birds enjoy holly berries, they are semi-toxic to humans.

The good news is that deer tend to avoid eating holly due to their sharp leaves, which makes them a deer-resistant plant for gardens.


The Narcissus (Paperwhite)
Narcissus conveys that you want your beloved to stay just the way they are.

While there are many types of flowers in the genus Narcissus (including the daffodil), the paperwhite is the winter-growing variety and the birth flower for December.


We do have some (artificial) holly sprigs indoors as part of the Christmas Holiday décor. I do like seeing the green leaves and lovely red berries, but haven't any paperwhites. Do you have either of these two December flowers in your home? Perhaps you prefer a different plant, do please share your thoughts.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

dellgirl said...

No, I don't have either of these two December flowers in my home . . . yet. I do plan to have some kind of plant with red berries, when I DO decorate for the holiday. This is interesting, thank you for sharing this information. Wishing you all the best, have a great Week!

Tom said...

...December is my birth month, but paperwhites too fragrant for me!

J.P. Alexander said...

Son muy lindas. Te mando un beso.

sandy said...

I'm a Sagittarius, birthday in December. I didn't know about the Holly plant, but my oldest Granddaughter is named Holly. That was fun to read about. And I love Paper Whites.

thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Margaret D said...

Holly is lovely and we have it in our winter.

Elephant's Child said...

No Holly here. I love paper whites but it will be months before they bloom here.

Sherry said...

Very interesting, and they would be very pretty in the home for Christmas. Thank you.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
We have a huge holly bush in our yard, the birds are eating some of the berries.
I love the paperwhite blooms, they are pretty.
Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead!

Jenny Woolf said...

I really really love indoor narcissi at this time of year. maybe I will adopt them as my honorary birth flower even though my birthday is in January!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I love holly!
Alas, the landscaping here many years ago during a renovation, removed my beautiful holly plant. It is a waste of money pulling out good plants to replace them with awful ones nobody likes.

Alicia said...

I do display the holly and berries, I love some red and green around at Christmas time, so traditional and familiar in my family, but I would love some Narcissus around as well. Do they do well inside where the temperature is sometimes pretty warm? Nice post, I'm off to see what the deal is with the eggs on your previous post.

Bill said...

Holly is very pretty.

CJ Kennedy said...

I love holly. Just so pretty as are the paperwhites. I didn't know they were December flower.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I love the greens and reds of Christmas, ooh and the paper-whites. I like to cut branches from the outdoor bushes, complete with their shiny berries, and decorate.
Love the shiny Holly.
~Jo

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO

Alicia who said...
I do display the holly and berries, I love some red and green around at Christmas time, so traditional and familiar in my family, but I would love some Narcissus around as well. Do they do well inside where the temperature is sometimes pretty warm? Nice post, I'm off to see what the deal is with the eggs on your previous post.

Hello Alicia, many thanks for your comment and question.
In relation to your question about Narcissus/paperwhites, yes they can do well indoors.
Much more to read in this article here
https://www.almanac.com/how-grow-paperwhites

Enjoy your December days.

All the best Jan

happyone said...

No, we don't have either of these plants. The paper-whites are very pretty.

My name is Erika. said...

These are lovely flowers for December. I like reading about their meanings.

Carla from The River said...

I have a December birthday. ;-)

Conniecrafter said...

We have a holly bush outside our front door, I usually bring some inside for Christmas time, but no paper whites, they are so lovely I would like to have them sometime

Jeanie said...

I love both of these. In fact, I have narcissus growing in my kitchen window right now. They're beautiful selections for a birth flower.

Snowbird said...

What a lovely post, I did enjoy it.xxx

baili said...

These are magnificent flowers wow
Excellent for adding beauty to Christmas: )))

Teresa said...

Tengo un narciso igual floreciendo. Besos.