Total Pageviews

Saturday 16 December 2023

Saturday Night Supper Recipe, a suggestion!

This is a nice Saturday Night Supper Dish ... and as it's Saturday perhaps you may give it a try tonight!

Red peppers are definitely our favourite, and when put aside a yellow one, what a great colourful and nutritious plate of food you've got. What do you think?


Ingredients
Serves Four (adapt as necessary)
1 celery stick, cut into 5mm (1/4in) dice
1 small onion, cut into 1cm (1/2in) dice
250g/8oz of swede (rutabaga) peeled and cut into 1cm (1/2in) dice
2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 red peppers
2 yellow peppers
250g lean steak mince
1 fat garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp. tomato puree
1 tsp dried herbs
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika (optional)
125ml (4fl oz.) red wine or beef stock

Method
Put the carrot, celery, onion and swede into a large saucepan and pour over 2 tbsp. olive oil. Cover with a disc of non-stick baking paper and a lid, then cook over a low heat for 6-8 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, prepare the peppers. Make sure the peppers can stand upright by slicing slivers from the bottom. Slice the top off each pepper, about 1.5cm (3/4in) from the top, keeping the stalk intact. Use a sharp knife to carefully cut away and discard the seeds and any excess white pith inside the peppers. Reserve the lids and set the peppers aside.

Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Uncover and remove the baking paper from the pan. Add the beef mince and turn up the heat to medium/high. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the mince is browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding the tomato purée, herbs and paprika (if using). Stir well and cook for a further minute. Add the red wine or stock, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.

Pour some water into a baking tray and stand the peppers upright on the tray. Spoon the beef mixture into the peppers and put the lids on top. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and bake for 25-30 minutes until the peppers are tender. Serve.

Adapted from an original recipe idea here
There is an alternative veggie stuffed pepper recipe here

We bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.


~ Enjoy your weekend ~

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Tom said...

...I love stuffed peppers!

J.P. Alexander said...

Uy se ve muy rico. Gracias por la reseña. Te mando un beso.

Angie's Recipes said...

Stuffed vegetables are great!

Margaret D said...

Never eaten at stuffed capiscum, something I must do before I die.

Christine said...

Lovely peppers

Elephant's Child said...

They do look pretty. Not for me though. They are another food that I only eat raw. Weird I know.

Stefania said...

Buonissimi i peperoni ripieni

Donna said...

Oh, I Love these things! Yummy anytime!
hugs
Donna

roentare said...

That looks so yummy!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

I love stuffed peppers. I only make it in summer and autumn because it is very expensive now. I have to wait a long time for this delicacy.
Have a nice and sunny weekend:)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Delicious although I would use Quorn mince

Inger said...

I've never cooked with peppers, maybe it's time I try.

Ananka said...

Yes to stuffed peppers :-D

My name is Erika. said...

Stuffed peppers are always a top choice for me. Sadly not for the hubby. Have a great weekend to you both.

carol l mckenna said...

Oh looks sooo delicious ~ thanks,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Teresa said...

Los pimientos me gustan mucho y es una buena receta. Besos.

eileeninmd said...

Yum, once of my favorites are Stuffed Peppers.

Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend.

Divers and Sundry said...

Looks wonderful! I've never had rutabaga

Bill said...

Stuffed peppers are great, I love them.

Valerie-Jael said...

Yummy! Have a great weekend! Valerie

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I've always enjoyed stuffed peppers and they are relatively easy to make.

CJ Kennedy said...

That look really delicious

Bob Bushell said...

That was brilliant recipe, I like it with Quorn mince, my recipe.

happyone said...

Yes, looks wonderful and certainly is tasty.
We've having roasted vegetables with Italian sausage tonight. I can smell it as I type this.

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm with you, Jan.
Red peppers for the win.
Delish!

Linda said...

At Halloween, a face cut into these would be cute. Just cut the holes tiny so the insides won't fall out. We would love these.

Lorrie said...

This looks so delicious and would be lovely for a meal any night! We went out for dinner this evening (Saturday), so will keep this in mind for another night.

Conniecrafter said...

Wow I haven't made stuff peppers in quite some time, that does sound very good, my recipe is a little different though