Total Pageviews

Friday 15 November 2013

What did you have for breakfast this morning ?

Breakfast for me is the most important meal of the day. I do take the time to cook, sit, eat and enjoy.

If, like me, you are following a low carb high fat lifestyle it could have been two slices of ham with some mushrooms and a fried egg. Well that was my tasty and nutritious breakfast this morning.

In the days before I knew better it may have been a bowl of cereal and some toast, topped with marmalade. Sugar, grains, more sugar etc but I didn't know the harm it was doing to me.

My dear dad, who is in his 89th year, has for the past 50 years or more had a low carb high fat diet/lifestyle. The funny thing is he didn't realise this is what he was doing. It wasn't until he was taken ill and after seeing the Doctor he and my mother decided to alter what they were eating. Surprisingly his Doctor advised him to cut out potatoes, bread, rice ... now remember this was 50 years ago. I have to be honest, he did still have a small potato on his plate when he sat down for Sunday Roast Dinner. His main meals of the day are meat and vegetables or perhaps fish with vegetables. He enjoys salads in the summer. However, his breakfasts have been, and still are, bacon, sausage, ham, mushrooms, with the occasional tomato - he does ring the changes as the saying goes. Carbohydrates like bread, toast, cereal are not seen in his kitchen cupboards. To this day he remains very active and walks every day. Even in the colder weather, his thick coat goes on, and he does his round the park walk as he calls it.

For me a low carb high fat lifestyle is all about balance. We need to balance the food we eat, together with regular exercise and good sleep patterns. I'm not necessarily talking of pounding the treadmills or running the streets, but if you want to do that, it's fine by me.We all know what we can do and what we want to do. I'm like my dad and enjoy walking. I also try to do little things like climb the stairs and not take a lift.Walk to the local shop and not get in the car, sometimes it's the small things that can help too.

I think many do struggle with getting life's balance right. Our lives have more and more demand on them.Some find it easier than others, some have other health issues that should be taken into account. Some are so good at making excuses.

I read this recently and it struck a chord " Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending".

An ending has to have a beginning and my beginning this morning was a good low carb high fat breakfast.

What did you have for breakfast this morning?

Well thanks to 'Wall to Watch' by clicking here you can see what people in other countries may have enjoyed.

I hope you all enjoy your day.

All the best Jan

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a soft boiled egg with a slice of livlife bread. I allow myself a little bread now I can get the half the carbs in this new bread.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Ham, egg and mushrooms sounds delicious
Sue

tess said...

i've never been interested in eating first thing in the morning -- only within the last couple of years did i realize what was going on! even in the carb-eating days, i'd wake up in fat-burning mode, and i just feel better that way. now i do it ALL the time!

have a good weekend, everyone! :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Jan, Was just reading your post when we received a phone call from my sister-in law. She has just been diagnosed with haemochromatosis - overload of iron in the body, and their is a 1 in 4 chance my husband might be affected as it is a genetic condition.

Another good reason NOT to eat cereals with added iron!

It can cause diabetes too and as many as I in 200 may be affected!

The only cooked breakfast I can tolerate is eggs otherwise its boring old yoghurt and berries.

Mind you I didn't eat breakfast at all for years. Maybe I should listen to my body and revert to that?

Kath

Unknown said...

Coffee and eggs :)

Galina L. said...

I just had a coffee with a heavy cream, or it would be two eggs either soft-boiled with a butter or sunny-side up with a slice of a bacon.
Fellow LCarbers, on an unrelated note I want to add - together with low-fat dogma, ditch stupid non-stick pans which are getting stickier with each use. Cast iron is getting less and less sticky with each use if you don't avoid fat during cooking. It requires some skill to deal with and doesn't work for acidic foods. Cooking ware companies turned skillets into most frequently bought item, non-stick trend is great for a business, but bad for your pocket.

Galina L. said...

Just coffee with heavy cream, my more substantial breakfasts are in a past. It is the result of the adaptation to an intermittent fasting.

Anonymous said...

I'm never hungry in the morning so I just have a good coffee and water with a berocca tablet plus meds.

I don't ever snack in the day now; it just wouldn't cross my mind.

Also trying the 5/2 fast and really like how it sorts out any errant blood sugars; I just have miso soup for my evening meal on Monday and Tuesday and get brilliant 5's all day on the blood tests with no effort.

Best

Dillinger

Tanvee said...

Everyday is the same for me eggs + spinach/broccoli and coffee :)
cereals are addictive...if I have a little I keep going back for more so I prefer avoiding them completely

Lowcarb team member said...

Good grief Dillinger, no cornflakes no toast, buns or orange juice !

Seriously if your happy it's cool. Great numbers take a lot of effort especially for a type one, will pay you dividends down the line.

I'll take it as read no scurvy, mange or yellow jack for you yet.

Eddie

wiflib said...

It's a FatBlack for me; the only way to start the day is with a bulletproof coffee.
I've never eaten breakfast, simply can't face it.

Lowcarb team member said...

Well this is a multi thank you to all who have read this post and special thanks to Mary, Sue, Tess, Kath,Marc,Galina,Dillinger,Tanvee and Wiflib for their comments.

Interesting to see coffee plays an important start to the day....

For me it's tea - although I like coffee, I just can't seem to start the day with it.

Galina many thanks for your thoughts on the type of pans we use. If others are like me they have their favourite which is used most of the time.

Hey Dillinger, I'd only recently heard of 'berocca tablets'. One of my sons 'swears' by them if he feels he his coming down with a heavy cold.

Kath - hope your sister-in-law is ok. I can remember watching a television programme quite recently and yes they do add what looks like 'iron filings' to cereals. For me real food with real nutrition makes far more sense.

Tess many thanks and I echo your good wishes "have a good weekend, everyone! :-)"

...................

Once again thanks to all. If you haven't already commented please feel free to add what you had for breakfast - if you'd like to.

And you may like to see the cheesy mini-omelette recipe idea posted on Sat 16th November.

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

A 5 egg,cheese and mushroom omelette for Brekkie today washed down with 2 large coffee's.Sets my Saturday up nicely 'til tea time.

Paul

Anonymous said...

COFFEE with cream

BUT scrambled eggs for lunch

Gina