Total Pageviews

Tuesday 18 June 2024

I Missed 'Eat Your Vegetables Day' Did You?

Blogging friend Tom mentioned that it was 'Eat Your Vegetables Day' yesterday (more details here).  I must admit this was news to me! However, we enjoy eating vegetables in our house, and yesterday was no exception, but it got me thinking and prompted this post 😊


What are vegetables?
Speaking from a botanical or gardening point of view, vegetables are the leaves, stems or roots of plants. However, many non-sweet fruits are commonly considered vegetables for eating or cooking purposes.

Different types of vegetables
Vegetables can be broadly classified into four categories:

1. Above-ground vegetables: greens (spinach, lettuce, chard, etcetera), cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, et cetera), bulbs (onions, garlic) and fungi (mushrooms).

2. Below-ground/root/starchy vegetables: beets, carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, (swede), turnip, yams, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc.

3. Gourds: pumpkins, hard-shelled squashes and other winter squashes.

4. Technically fruits but treated like vegetables: avocados, olives, bell peppers, eggplant/aubergine, tomatoes and zucchini/courgette. Unlike other fruits, these aren’t sweet and are often prepared and consumed with other vegetables. Avocados and olives are unique among fruits and vegetables because most of their calories come from fat rather than sugar or starch.

Nutritional composition of vegetables

Above-ground vegetables are low carb/keto-friendly foods that provide 5 or fewer grams of net carbs per 100-gram (3.5-ounce) serving. Not so for the root and starchy vegetables, however, which range from 6 to 17 grams of net carbs per serving. Vegetables usually contain moderate to high amounts of fibre, especially avocado — which also happens to be among the lowest in net carbs.

Overall, vegetables are more nutrient-dense than fruits, although their vitamin and mineral content can also be affected by factors like growing and storage conditions. Most veggies are good to excellent sources of potassium, and bell peppers and cruciferous vegetables are also high in vitamin C.

Low-carb vegetables – read more about the best and the worst here

Words above taken from article 'Do you need to eat fruits and vegetables?' which you can read here

With dinner, Eddie and I enjoyed a mix of vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and peas, followed with some blueberries and cream for dessert 😋

Dear reader, we bring a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas to this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

24 comments:

Christine said...

Vegetables are a must!

My name is Erika. said...

I had a lot of veggies yesterday, but I didn't know it was eat your vegetables day. :)

Tom said...

..sadly, I didn't eat as many vegetables as I should have. Perhaps tomorrow I will do better.

J.P. Alexander said...

Siempre es bueno comer verduras. Te mando un beso.

Mari said...

I missed it! I love veggies in the summer when you can eat them fresh. Sooo good!

Linda said...

I did not know it was eat your vegetables day, yet I did eat vegetables-cabbage, carrots, a whole 5-inch tomato, along with baked chicken. I was stuffed. I had three vegetables, but five helping of vegetables.

Angie said...

Jan - thanks so much for your visit to my blog and your kind comments! Since we came back from our trip to Europe, we have been focusing on salads - healthy salads - lots of vegetables of all kinds! I feel better - not as "heavy" and sluggish!

Elephant's Child said...

I really like vegies. My partner doesn't and doesn't eat nearly enough of them.

jabblog said...

Every day is a day for something or other and I missed this one, too. We had broccoli, courgette, celery, onion and tomato with our supper last night :-)

roentare said...

I love eating lots of them

Fun60 said...

There seems to be a day for everything.

Margaret D said...

Love veggies. Nice read Jan.

eileeninmd said...

LOL, I think I missed this.
Unless, french fries count as a veggie?
Take care, have a great day!

CJ Kennedy said...

I didn't know there was an eat your vegetables day. I could go for blueberries and cream.

Divers and Sundry said...

I like veggies and had stir fried zucchini, yellow squash, and onion with supper.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am having a 'health issue' so I'm eating more veggies and less meat right now. I think I eat pretty healthy but there's always room for improvement! Thanks for the encouragement!

Ananka said...

I spotted that on Tom's blog too! I hand mushrooms and veg miso soup yesterday. Veggies are so important.

Valerie-Jael said...

I misssed it, too. I hadx a lazy day and lived off yogurt and bananas! Hugs!

happyone said...

I like most vegetables.

Linda said...

I totally missed it. And I had no idea that zucchini was a fruit.

Katerinas Blog said...

Helpful post,
perfect veggie day!
They are so necessary and healthy!!

Conniecrafter said...

I did not know either there was a day for vegetables, we have them every day too, I will have to admit I don't always get my fruit in though.

Teresa said...

Me encantan las verduras. Besos.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I didn't know veg had a special day to celebrate their great value. Growing veg in our garden means we are eating more salad and veg which is fresher and grown organically too.