Total Pageviews

Monday, 3 August 2026

'The Baby Boomer Habit That's Linked To Better Mental Health'

The Baby Boomer Habit That's Linked To Better Mental Health

Sometimes it seems like baby boomers* and their habits are the subject of ridicule by younger generations. While a little good-natured joking between generations can be a good thing, it might be worthwhile to take a closer look at the closely held beliefs and habits of different groups from time to time. And while some baby boomer pastimes, like how they save everything, may not be the healthiest, the habit of making phone calls instead of texting is linked to better mental health.

Social media use is a growing habit in baby boomers, however, many still insist on calling instead of sending a message. This may seem old-fashioned at first glance, but there are often good reasons for doing so. In some cases it's discomfort with using newer technologies or difficulty reading text on small screens. In other cases it can be because baby boomers are talking to people who don't text. At the same time, younger generations may be more reluctant to make phone calls than to send a text.


Calls allow for more nuanced communication

Text-based communication is great for sending a quick message, but can fall short when it comes to more real-time conversations. It also makes it easy to stay in touch with another person without interrupting the sender or recipient's day. Fear of interrupting or being a bother is one reason why many younger people shy away from making phone calls. However, there are tradeoffs that come along with the convenience of texting and social media use.

One big disadvantage is that text-based communication can make misunderstandings more likely than they are over the phone. A short message with no context can sometimes be confusing, meaning that the recipient would have to ask questions for clarification. On a voice call the process of getting clarification can happen faster, if it's needed at all. It can also be difficult to feel out what emotions are being expressed over text sometimes. Using emojis is one way to help clarify messages, but they can't match nonverbal cues like tone of voice that come with phone conversations. Even when talking to a stranger, hearing another human's voice can create more tangible connections.

The connection of hearing a voice

In addition to being better for back-and-forth communication, people are finding that talking on the phone can have mental health benefits. While people send and receive text-based communications all day, many people report feeling lonely. This is where voice-based communication shines. Hearing the voice of someone familiar can reduce stress and signal the body to release oxytocin, a hormone important for building trust and closeness.

Getting regular phone calls can also help decrease reported feelings of loneliness in homebound people and the elderly. Talking on the phone can also benefit children, helping them become better at understanding the nuances of communication. Talking on the phone also has the benefit of reducing kids' exposure to social media and its effects on the brain. A growing number of parents are setting up home phones and working with other parents so children can communicate with one another. This also has the benefit of allowing children to talk more with distant relatives, potentially benefiting both young and old.


The convenience of texting makes it useful for many situations; however, some people are finding that it doesn't replace the immediacy and connection of hearing someone's voice. While some baby boomer habits aren't worth imitating, picking up the phone and calling may be one practice that can help with mental health.
Images above from google, above words by George Hale from article seen here

*Baby boomers are people born between 1946 to 1964, you can read more about which generation are you here

-----------------------

My view is - although text messaging can be useful, you just can't beat a chat! Ideally in person but next best thing a telephone call!
What do you think? Please share your thoughts in the comments.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Carla from The River said...

Hi Jan,
I think making a real phone call is very important. I call my parents weekly. My boys do not call, but they do text. I thankful for that, maybe someday they will start calling me too.
xo
Thank you for the post.

Chatty Crone said...

I think that is true - I wish the kids would call more.

Mari said...

This is interesting and really does make sense. My girls text a lot, but my son who lives 8 hours from us, does call weekly.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos. Te mando un beso.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Hi Jan, I am a baby boomer and I believe this is a good thing. 👍

Tom said...

...a text is the way of life today, but don't like them!

River said...

I am a Baby Boomer and I Hate talking on the phone, I always have, I am a slow thinker and talking on the phone requires a faster response which flusters me. With text messages I have time to structure my thoughts and answers and my kids are the same.

Granny Marigold said...

I prefer sending messages because a message doesn't intrude like a phone call. The recipient can read and respond at their convenience.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A very good post about talking on the phone—it’s so nice to hear voices rather than just texting!
Have a happy day, Elke

jabblog said...

A mixture of both works for me - texts for quick messages and 'phone calls for detail.

Margaret D said...

I belong to the silent generation I believe, though baby boomer is ok for me. I am not a phone chatterer but do talk on the phone but finding someone is not that easy anymore, most people have gone. Just my sons now to phone or an odd cousin. Often a short text will suffice but it is good to hear humans on the phone once in awhile.

Iris Flavia said...

Not a baby boomer but I agree. I loved talking to my Mum. My friend often asks, "call?" My Brother can talk for 2+hours (I hardly get to say a word, LOL). Ingo, born 1965 hates to call, though...

Shari Burke said...

I agree with everything said about the issues that can come up with text-based communication, and when email first started appearing everywhere, I was resistant. This was partly because I was in a university setting and people were emailing people they saw numerous times throughout the day. But I was forced to get an email account so I did. When we moved to Alaska, I really appreciated it and started using it more because many of the people I was communicating with were far away. But I have hated using the phone for decades--well before text communication was everywhere--so I actually prefer emails or messages (or in-person visits sometimes). I still don't like talking on the phone. I like the ability to reply when it's convenient for me, even if that's at midnight. But I do see the drawbacks as well. Interesting article!

Dianna said...

Thank you for this post, Jan. Those phone calls are so much appreciated. Our son who is about 13 hours from us calls weekly...sometimes more often, depending on how things are going here for us. Our daughter who lives about 5 hours away uses texting more than the phone call. xx

My name is Erika. said...

This makes a lot of sense. I don't really like talking on the phone :( unless it's to a couple of friends who I know I can have a good conversation with. Guess I need to like it more. :)

eileeninmd said...

I like a phone call, I enjoy talking to my two sisters.
I must admit my son likes to text.
Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

baili said...

i totally believe in real phone call time even if it is only on weekly bases
i think it helps parents to feel peaceful at heart after seeing and hearing their children once in a while
touching and beautiful habit dear Jan :)

Caroline said...

Have a nice week. Greets

Bill said...

I always hated talking on the phone. Texting is easier on the phone, so that makes it convenient in today's world.

Christine said...

I am not really a chatter but once in awhile is good!

Catolico said...

Deus caritas est!

Sandra Cox said...

Huh. I'd never thought of that. Makes sense though.
I'm a texter:) Maybe it comes with writing;)

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

Well, I belong to that generation. The other day I read a news article that showed an old-fashioned corded telephone and said that when the telephone was tethered, we were free; once it was untethered, freedom was lost.
Regards.

CJ Kennedy said...

If the subject is serious or long, it's better to call then to send 100 texts

HappyK said...

I think both talking and texting both have their place.