Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 August 2011

An Acknowledgement of Hypocrisy !

Over the years there have been many, many grateful acknowledgements of the help and advice given by advocates of the low carb lifestyle for diabetics. The following is a fairly typical example. My emphasis in underlined.

Slow, but sure!

by noblehead » September 4th, 2009, 11:05 am

As someone who has been insulin dependent for a number of years, I have used every excuse possible to justify my weight gain over recent years. Middle-age spread, insulin, family commitments meant less time to exercise, all the usual excuses to explain my expanding waistline.

I have seen dieticians, read books, spoke to my diabetic care team, and none have offered any constructive advice on controlling weight. Reading this forum has been helpful, and reading other peoples experiences in controlling their diabetes and improving Hba1c's, has been inspirational!

I can't recollect at any time been given advice on reducing carbs to control weight. I have always been told to eat plenty of carbs at every meal, together with the usual meat and veg. Once I was told that a bowl of cereal for breakfast was insufficient, and should include 2 slices of toast also. Looking back I can now see how flawed this advice/information has been.

Cutting back on the carbs, reducing portion size and eating sensible foods, combined with plenty of exercise has changed my approach to diabetes. I am now eating approximately half the amount of carbs I ate only 3 months back, and at last my weight is starting to drop. Before I started to cut back I was 14st 12lb, and being only 5ft 9'' was well overweight, and my BMI was 31. Today I have got on the scales and I am 14st 3lb, in total a loss of 9lb. Ideally, I would love to get down to the 12st, should this take till this time next year, I don't care much, but I will get there!

I know that 9lb is no big deal, and I still have a long way to go to get to my ideal weight. I just feel a bit miffed that I had to find out myself by reading this forum to gain this information. Somewhere, there has got to be a radical change in advice given to patients with diabetes!

Nigel”

Now either something dramatic has happened to diabetic care teams or an exhibition of Nigel’s sheer hypocrisy is given by Nigel’s posts containing the mantra  "consult your HCP" A possible explanation might be the company he keeps. I seem to remember a similar post of gratitude (and then an equally dramatic conversion to the viewpoint that diabetic care teams represented the (b)leading edge medical knowledge) from an ex-moderator named Ken. Perhaps we should dig out Ken’s acknowledgement from the files?

John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brain cells clogged up with too many carbs, not much memory left in the noddlehad me thinks?!