Total Pageviews

Thursday 4 May 2017

Cream Roasted Swede (Rutabaga) Soup


Swede ( also known as Rutabaga, Turnip, Neeps) is a great favourite in our house. Although, I have to admit that occasionally it has been known for Eddie to say "oh no not swede again" ... note to myself cook celeriac tomorrow!

I still can't believe that it is May and I'm still talking soup, but the weather in parts of the UK is still more Autumnal (some may even say Winter-like) than Spring!

So a good opportunity to share this soup recipe idea, which has a lovely selection of vegetables in it ... including swede! LOL!


Ingredients
Serves Four
1
swede, peeled and cut into cubes
3 tbsp olive oil

salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots
, finely sliced
2 stalks celery
, finely sliced
1 clove garlic
, crushed
6 stalks fresh thyme,
leaves only
1.25 litres/2 pints vegetable stock

142ml/5fl oz carton single cream
fresh thyme leaves to garnish

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Place the cubes of swede in a roasting tray. Drizzle over two tablespoons of the olive oil and season.
3. Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, stir in the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and thyme leaves and fry for 4-5 minutes until softened but not browned.
5. Add the roasted swede to the pan and pour over the stock.
6. Bring gently to the boil, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Purée the soup in a food processor or liquidiser until completely smooth. Pass through a sieve for an extra fine texture if preferred.
8. Transfer the soup back to a clean saucepan. Stir in most of the cream, reserving some for garnishing. Gently heat through and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
9. Serve in warm bowls or a soup tureen and garnish with a swirl of cream, some fresh thyme leaves and freshly ground black pepper.

Optional !
10. Say to Eddie, isn't this tasty. I'm sure he will reply Yes!

You can see the original recipe idea here

Thanks for reading.
Stay safe and stay warm!

All the best Jan

24 comments:

Tom said...

...I thought that Rutabaga and Turnip were different.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds great, I am a great fan of turnips, parsnips and celeriac, they are all yummy! Hugs, Valerie

Jo said...

I love swede, it's something I couldn't stand as a child, having crushed swede almost every day with school dinners might have had something to do with that. Thankfully I discovered it again as an adult, and the family enjoy it too. I've never tried it in a soup though.

R's Rue said...

Great.

happyone said...

Oh this is one for me. Thanks.

Lowcarb team member said...

Tom Said
"...I thought that Rutabaga and Turnip were different."

See more about 'Turnips, Swede, Rutabaga, Neeps' here
http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/turnips-swede-rutabaga-neeps-low-carb.html

Jutta.K. said...

Bei uns heißen sie "Kohlrübe "
und sie sind hervorragend geeignet für Diabetiker.
Das Rezept habe ich mir abgespeichert.
Danke dafür.
Liebe Grüße

JFM said...

Definitely making me hungry...thankfully it's lunchtime :)

Hugs~

Lowcarb team member said...

Jutta. K google translation:

They are called "Kohlrübe" (Turnip)
And they are excellently suited for diabetics.
The recipe I have stored.
Thanks for that.
Best regards

Lisabella Russo said...

I don't think I've ever had Swede soup before. It look delicious.

Christine said...

Oh I love soup, this looks wonderful!!

Love Affair with Food said...

Sounds so yummy. I have great love of good food and I'm always on the lookout for new recipes!

Marcie said...

Looks very good. We were just debating whether to plant rutabaga (swede) in our garden this year. Planted WAY too many last year! lol. This would have been a good way to use them up.

Martha said...

I also enjoy a good soup. It's one of my favourite things to cook!

Lady Fi said...

Mmm .. delicious!

Linda said...

I've never tried this soup. Not sure I've even had rutabaga. It's not popular here.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Tenho a certeza de que é uma sopa muito saborosa.
Um abraço e bom fim-de-semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

River said...

Swedes and Turnips may be from the same family, but they are different and shouldn't be mistaken for each other. Turnips have purple and white coloured skin, with crisp dense, white flesh, Swedes have brownish purple and yellow skin and the flesh is yellow and doesn't have the "bite" (heat) of turnip.
I'll use turnip in a vegetable soup, but swede in a casserole or to mash with potato.

Lowcarb team member said...

River said

"Swedes and Turnips may be from the same family, but they are different and shouldn't be mistaken for each other. Turnips have purple and white coloured skin, with crisp dense, white flesh, Swedes have brownish purple and yellow skin and the flesh is yellow and doesn't have the "bite" (heat) of turnip.
I'll use turnip in a vegetable soup, but swede in a casserole or to mash with potato."

There is more to read here about 'Turnips, Swede, Rutabaga, Neeps'
http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/turnips-swede-rutabaga-neeps-low-carb.html

Lowcarb team member said...

Francisco google translation:
I'm sure it's a very tasty soup.
A hug and good weekend.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Well this is good for me Jan, we're heading into soup weather, although at 29C on Sunday it doesn't actually feel like it 😀

Magic Love Crow said...

Sounds so good! Thank you Jan!

Lisa said...

This veg is one of the least liked in our house and only ever gets used in a soup if I feel adventurous enough to make one.
Always enjoyed when I do make the effort though.
Lisa x

Unknown said...

Rutabagas are sweet turnips are very bitter