Total Pageviews

Thursday 25 May 2017

Saffron ... and a most special low carb dessert


Did you know Saffron is the most expensive spice in the world. It's derived from the dried stigmas of the saffron crocus and has a deep auburn colour and sweet flavour. The stigmas can only be picked by hand and it takes 250,000 stigmas to make just half a kilo of saffron, hence its high price... fortunately, a little saffron goes a long way.
Saffron can be bought whole in threads or strands (stigmas) or in powdered form. Spanish and Kashmiri saffron are reputed to be among the best-quality.
Saffron gives a distinctive aroma and flavour and a yellow colour to Spanish paella and Italian risotto and is also a classic ingredient in the French fish soup, Bouillabaisse. Crush the stigmas and soak in water before use.

Saffron is also used in this wonderful low carb recipe suggestion, it's from Anne Aobadia at Diet Doctor site and is just 3g carbs per serving...



Saffron Pannacotta

Ingredients
Serves Six
½ tablespoon un-flavoured powdered gelatin
water
2 cups / 475 ml heavy (double) whipping cream
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch saffron
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped almonds (optional)
12 physalis or fresh raspberries (optional)

Please see this fantastic dessert and cooking instructions here

This coming weekend it's a three day Bank Holiday weekend in the UK
This could make a very special dessert ... just a thought!

All the best Jan

17 comments:

Tom said...

...this is all news to me!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,
So interesting to learn about saffron! Thank you for the recipe, also.
I wish you a lovely day.

Dianna said...

Thank you, Jan, for the explanation about saffron and why it is so expensive. It is something I've often wondered about, but never really checked in to it.

The dessert looks delicious!

We also have a three day holiday weekend this weekend here in the States.

Have a lovely weekend!

Jo said...

Pannacotta is one of the desserts I really don't like, I think the texture has something to do with it, though I haven't tried saffron pannacotta, perhaps I'd like this version.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the Pannacotta looks yummy. Enjoy your Thursday!

Christine said...

This looks wonderful!

Marcie said...

Saffron makes such a beautiful yellow color, doesn't it? That dessert looks very rich and decadent!

I hope you enjoy the day and the weekend ahead!

Mac n' Janet said...

I've never made panacotta, but it sounds good. I always had saffron on hand, my husband is Spanish and I put it in a number of dishes.

Caroline Gill said...

I love saffron! Thank you, Jan, for your post and these photos... which make my mouth water. Saffron buns (for breakfast) was one of my childhood holiday treats in Cornwall. We also used to enjoy saffron rice - such fragrance, particularly when blended with cardamon!

Bob Bushell said...

But, it's too much money for everybody enjoy saffron.

Sandra Cox said...

Lots of great info on Saffron that I did not know!
And another luscious sounding recipe.
Thanks!

Lorrie said...

This looks delicious! Have a great long weekend!

Mary Kirkland said...

I've only ever had saffron in beans.

Sami said...

I actually used saffron last week on a type of Paella dish. The dessert looks delicious.
Have a great weekend Jan.

Lisabella Russo said...

Oh that looks delicious, I don't think I've cooked with saffron before...

Linda said...

How fascinating, Jan! Would you believe I have never tried saffron? Thanks for this post.

Magic Love Crow said...

A lot of this, I did not know about saffron! Thank you!