Total Pageviews

Wednesday 27 February 2013

New Meta-Analysis Demonstrates the Benefits of a Low-Carb Diet, like the Atkins Diet, in the Management of Type 2 Diabetes !


DENVERFeb. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A recently published meta-analysis in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reviewed 20 randomized control trials on the effect of various diets on glycemic control, lipids and weight loss in individuals with type 2 diabetes. The results found that a low-carb diet, like the Atkins Diet™, showed greater improvements in glycemic control biomarkers for type 2 diabetics and should be considered in the overall strategy of diabetes management. 
"We are very encouraged by the findings of the meta-analysis in that it demonstrates the beneficial effects of a low-carb diet among type 2 diabetics. This is critical, considering that the World Health Organization estimates that approximately 347 million people worldwide have diabetes with the majority of those having type 2 diabetes," said Colette Heimowitz, vice president of education and nutrition at Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.  "This steady stream of new research validates the efficacy and safety of low-carb diets, and it continues to support the belief that the Atkins Diet is a valid option for people who are looking to address their type 2 diabetes."

Source for this article and more here
The American Journal of Nutrition paper here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, good so that will quickly inform the DESMOND course I'm sure...

Here is a post about a DESMOND course on DUK;

"We got home from DESMOND and my hubby was really positive (to be fair he has changed a lot and dropped about 10 kilos in a month). I am super proud of him but tonight I was talking to him and it was as if I wasn't there. It worried me a bit. It was like I wasn't in the room. Is this normal? I think it may have been sugar related as he had a whole pizza, 2 yogurts, 2 bananas."

So an entire pizza, 2 yoghurts, and 2 bananas (the worst type of fruit I find for blood sugars). What the hell do they teach on DEMSOND????

That's what 70 grams for the pizza, 40 for the yoghurts (if lucky), about 60 for the bananas; 170 grams for one meal. What was he eating before going on the course..?

Best

Dillinger

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Dillinger

I saw that post and very near fell off my chair. “I was talking to him and it was as if I wasn't there” I think I would be in a carb induced trance if I downed that amount of carbs in a session. I expect it was just about right for a DESMOND trainer.

As you would say ‘What larks’ but tragic eh.

Regards Eddie