Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 August 2018

Lemon Chicken Piccata : Low Carb

Lemon Chicken Piccata cooking in the skillet/pan 

A delicious low carb lemon chicken piccata! The chicken is coated with almond flour and Parmesan Cheese. The sauce is light and tasty made from white wine*, lemon, capers, shallots and garlic. It's perfect for any night but also great for a dinner party too!

Ingredients
Serves Four
4 boneless chicken cutlets, 4 ounces each
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 teaspoons olive oil
4 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 medium shallot, peeled and finely diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
3/4 cup white wine or chicken stock - *use stock if you do not cook with alcohol
1 large lemon, juiced about 1/4 cup juice

1/4 cup capers, drained

Instructions
In a large plate, mix almond flour, Parmesan Cheese, salt and black pepper. Rinse the chicken in cold water and dredge in the almond flour mixture. Coat chicken well in the flour mixture. Set aside until all chicken dredged in flour.

Pre-heat a skillet (frying pan) over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons each of olive oil and unsalted butter, butter should sizzle. Add the chicken pieces to the skillet. Make sure chicken is not overlapping. Let chicken brown about 3-4 minutes. Flip chicken to complete cooking another 3-4 minutes. Once cooked, set chicken aside.

To the skillet, add the remaining olive oil and butter. Add in the chopped shallots and garlic. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Add in white wine or chicken stock, lemon juice, and capers. Let simmer to reduce by about half, approximately 5 minutes.

Recipe Notes
If making ahead, you can get the dish ready and just reheat on the stovetop for a few minutes with a pot cover. Can be reheated in oven at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes.

If using chicken stock instead of wine, use low-sodium, fat-free broth.

From an original idea with helpful step-by-step instructions here

Need help with measurement, weight conversion - see here

A variety of recipe ideas are found within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks wonderful. Hugs, Valerie

Tom said...

...there are so many ways to enjoy chicken.

Jo said...

It looks delicious. Definitely one to try.

RO said...

Love Chicken Piccata, and this low carb version looks yummy! Hugs...RO

Catarina said...

I prepared something similar last night. Did not use the almond flour or the cheese. Will do it next time, for sure!!
: )

Dewena said...

One of my favorite dishes! So basically substituting almond flour for regular? And not serving it on pasta, I see! It looks delicious!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this looks like a delicious chicken recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I tried a version of your skillet fillets with squash and zucchini last night. My wife gave me a look when she saw me sauteing onions. But she didn't throw up.

Christine said...

This looks so good!

Chris Lally said...

This is a regular meal at our house, but I have to make it without cheese. It is still absolutely delicious.
Thanks, Jan!

wisps of words said...

Dear Eddie, You keep asking me, about your comments. Did you not read the line, in my *controversial* one, which said: "I do not inject Politics into my blog. But it is very, very, very hard, to find blogs, which do not. But when they do, I sadly walk away."

I have walked away, from your blog.

I actually have never had any interest, in this blog. Only come to it, because you, come to mine. And it seemed polite to reciprocate.

But I have stopped reading yours.

Lowcarb team member said...

"Dear Eddie, You keep asking me, about your comments" I have never asked you anything, full stop. "I have walked away, from your blog" Cool with me. "I actually have never had any interest, in this blog. Only come to it, because you, come to mine. And it seemed polite to reciprocate" I have never visited your blog, my Wife Jan has, I suspect she will keep well away from now. The best of health and luck to you and yours.

Regards Eddie

Lowcarb team member said...

Dewena - in part of her comment said:
"So basically substituting almond flour for regular? And not serving it on pasta"

Hi Dewena
Yes, when cooking low carb / keto we always substitute regular flour, (because it contains far more carbs), for an alternative … perhaps almond flour or coconut flour. However, they do re-act differently! Please read more about Flour Alternatives For The Low Carb/Ketogenic Diet/ Lifestyle here
https://www.ruled.me/keto-flour-substitutions/

With regards to pasta
Again living the LCHF lifestyle we would serve a lower carb alternative to pasta. You may like to have a look at this article, 7 Low Carb Pasta Alternatives for ideas, find it here
https://www.perfectketo.com/low-carb-pasta-substitutes/

Many thanks for your thoughts and comments.

All the best Jan

DeniseinVA said...

Chicken is on the list for our next meal. This looks delish. Thanks Jan.

Elephant's Child said...

I am always impressed at how varied your diet is.

Sue (this n that) said...

This sounds like another yummy recipe - always on the lookout for new ways with chicken... thanks very much :D)

William Kendall said...

I would like that.

Mary Kirkland said...

I love chicken so this sounds good to me.

Debbie said...

a great recipe, i love this dish!!!

Iris Flavia said...

You sure add to my future cook list here :-)

Gloria Baker said...

look absolutely delicious !!

Caroline Gill said...

Oh, Jan, this looks sumptuous! Chicken and lemon go so beautifully together.

And thank you for all your kind comments on my wildlife, too!

Conniecrafter said...

Mmmm looks delicious!!

carol l mckenna said...

Oh so delish looking! and I love capers!

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Magic Love Crow said...

So good! Thank you Jan!