Total Pageviews

Friday 27 November 2020

Bean and Halloumi Stew : Vegetarian Choice

Have you heard of Halloumi? It's pronounced ha-loo-mee. It's a semi-hard chewy, white cheese originating from Cyprus and made from cow's, goat's or sheep's milk, or a combination. It has a mild salty flavour and lends itself beautifully to cooking due to its firm texture which is retained even when cooked and exposed to high temperatures. It has become a firm favourite in our household and sometimes we just cook a couple of slices and enjoy them as a snack! However Halloumi does lend itself so well to recipes such as this one ...

This 'BBC Good Food' recipe uses a can of mixed beans to make a tomato-based veggie stew with halloumi. You can make it in just twenty five minutes for a quick and easy lunch/supper.


Ingredients
Serves Two
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp red chilli, sundried tomato pesto or vegan alternative
1 heaped tsp ground coriander
400g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
400g can chopped tomatoes
½ x 250g block halloumi*, sliced
½ small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
To serve (optional)
garlic bread, 
Low-carb bread made in a mug - see here

Method
STEP 1
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and pepper, along with a pinch of salt and fry for ten minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, pesto and ground coriander, and cook for one minute. Tip in the beans and tomatoes along with ½ can of water, then bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for ten minutes.
STEP 2
Add the remaining oil to a separate frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the halloumi for two minutes on each side or until golden brown.
STEP 3
Taste the beans for seasoning, then spoon into deep bowls. Top with the halloumi and scatter over the chopped coriander. Serve with garlic bread, if you like.

Nutrition Per Serving
Fat 25g Carbohydrates 36g Fibre 14g Protein 19g

Recipe Tips
Swap the halloumi* for fried aubergine slices and use a vegan friendly sundried tomato pesto. (also good for those who may not like Halloumi)

Add a little coconut milk if you don't like things with too much of a tomato taste.

Adding some meat free sausages and a little bit of curry powder also works well.

Of course you could choose to add meat sausages! Recipe choices are always a personal preference.

sharing these red berries seen on a recent walk

We bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

DVArtist said...

Ohhh this just looks so good.

Tom said...

...looks like skimmia.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds great! Valerie

Martha said...

The recipe sounds delicious! The only way I've ever had Halloumi is fried, it's so good!

Lowcarb team member said...

Tom said...
...looks like skimmia

Hello Tom, many thanks for the plant identification.
You're right I looked it up :)

https://www.thespruce.com/japanese-skimmia-plant-profile-4843861

Have a great Friday and enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Carla from The River said...

I will be pinning. YUM!
I like the red berries too.
:-)

Elephant's Child said...

Halloumi is too salty for my tastes. Thanks for the tip about replacing it with eggplant.

William Kendall said...

At some point I've heard of that kind of cheese.

It's me said...

Mmmmmmm....happy weekend...love Ria 🍀💕🍀

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I'll have more than one serving.

God bless.

A Casa Madeira said...

I loved the recipe;
Thank you for your visit;
Good end of November.

sandy said...

The ingredients appeal to be .
Have a nice weekend! Can't believe it won't be long until Christmas is here. We've had out of town family - and still do until around Monday.

Bill said...

Sounds real good, thanks for sharing.

happyone said...

No, I've never heard of Halloumi cheese!
Those red berries sure pop out.

Christine said...

I have had halloumi, it is delicious!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Does look good
Stay Safe and Coffee is on

aussie aNNie said...

Never heard of the cheese, mainly as I don't eat a lot of it, but hubby said he has, likes your recipe .xx

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, that´s what I did, too, just as snack, Hubby could not understand!
But this one sounds quick and yummy and is on my list, thank you!

Margaret D said...

No never heard of it.
The berries do look nice coming towards Christmas.

roughterrain crane said...

This looks very tasty. The world is full of yummy foods I have yet to have.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

This stew looks delicious, thanks for sharing.
The berries are pretty, love the pop of color.
Take care, enjoy your weekend!

linda said...

I love halloumi but have never had in a stew before, I have pinned this to try later.

Teresa said...

Ese queso no lo conozco. Feliz tarde.

DMS said...

I don't think I have ever had that type of cheese before. I am curious! This sounds like tasty stew. :)
~Jess

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never heard of halloumi, but this looks wonderful and something I would make myself. I even have sun dried tomatoes and tahini. Thanks for this recipe, Jan.

Elderberry-Rob said...

You have some delicious strong flavours in there (which I like) and as a veggie this is a recipe I am saving as it looks promising - I have haloumi a lot but only grilled when we have a bbq so this is a new dimension for me, thanks :)

Shari Burke said...

Looks yummy!

Maria Rodrigues said...

Hum!hum! It looks delicious.
Hugs

J C said...

I am walking!

Martha said...

Such a lovely recipe! And very filling.

Snowbird said...

How I miss halloumi.xxx