Total Pageviews

Wednesday 25 November 2020

Top ten low-carb vegetables, do you include any in your menu plans?

"Here are ten great low-carb vegetables, tasty and rich in nutrients but with very few carbs. Sorted by how popular and useful they are in low-carb cooking.
All numbers are net carbs per 100 grams (3½ ounces).

Cauliflower – 3 g.
Perhaps the most classic and iconic of all low-carb vegetables. The base of cauliflower rice and cauliflower mash.

Cabbage – 3 g.
Another great low-carb vegetable. Who doesn’t love butter-fried green cabbage or the simply amazing Asian cabbage stir-fry?

Avocado – 2 g.
Not just low carb, but also full of nutritious fat. Technically a fruit, but most people likely think of it as a vegetable. Avocado can be eaten in all kinds of ways, including on its own, in salads, or it can be used to make guacamole.

Broccoli – 4 g.
As well as low carb, it's brimming with good nutrients. Just fry it in butter or add some cheese for great-tasting side dishes.

Zucchini/Courgette – 3 g.
Try zucchini (courgette) fries or chips. Zucchini/Courgette can also be used to make low-carb pasta...yummy!

Spinach – 1 g.
An extremely low-carb vegetable, spinach is full of vitamins and minerals and can be used many ways. It pairs beautifully with eggs, such as in a frittata.

Asparagus – 2 g.
Revered as both a food and medicine – and aphrodisiac – by the ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans up to medieval times, asparagus is one of the world’s oldest cultivated vegetables. Nutritious and delicious! Try it wrapped with prosciutto and grilled.

Kale – 3 g.
Hardier than spinach, less watery, but just as nutrient-rich, kale can stand up to mincing, sautéing, baking, and much more.

Green beans – 4 g.
Frenched, diced and tossed in a salad, fricasseed and more, green beans taste great especially with added fats like butter, an olive-oil vinaigrette, or bacon.

Brussels sprouts – 5 g.
Nutty, filling and nutritious, they are especially good roasted with olive oil and garlic, or with bacon... or steam and serve with a cheese cream sauce." 


Low-carb vegetables – read more about the best and the worst here
Eddie and I enjoy all of these, do you like all of them, have you a favourite?

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I eat all of them. Except the dreaded sprouts.
Eat them and enjoy them.

Tom said...

...we eat 7 of them regularly.

Christine said...

A wonderful list!

Stevenson Q said...

I really have to pump my vegetable gaming up! That is one big reason why my health is not so competitive because I eat only a small variety of veggies. Even Avocado, that fruit is prepared to be a sweet here which is both healthy and delicious but still I can't eat it. I have to I have to I have to! Thank you so much Jan and sending you hugs! Take care always!

dmZapp said...

Guess I’m on the right path, I love all of them, zucchini being on the bottom of the list though. All others are equal. If I grow the zucchini, I pick they small, no baseball sized ones here.
My gardens are done for the year, start up early next year as I have a greenhouse now, until then, finishing off some veg indoors under a grow light. Nothing like fresh ripe tomatoes at Thanksgiving. Yum. Donna

happyone said...

The only ones we don't eat are avocados and kale.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I like all of them except avocado. Is it a fruit? Is it a vegetable? Is it a pear pretending to be something else?

God bless.

Lori Miller said...

Cabbage for cole slaw! I could eat cole slaw for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Sudibjo said...

my favorite avocado, very very love this vegetable. i oftenly made juice from this one

Angie said...

Jan - we are huge fans of avocado, brussels sprouts and asparagus!

peppylady (Dora) said...

We're having Cole Slaw for Thanksgiving.
Stay Safe and Coffee is on

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm serving several of these to myself tomorrow. Glad you posted this, Jan.

Evi Erlinda said...

I am so glad, I like all of them!
They are tasty and healthy.

mamasmercantile said...

We eat all of them so I as quite pleased with myself.

Iris Flavia said...

I´d so love to have an avocado. They´re expensive and the 4 times I tried this year they each were icky. It´s sad.

Jo said...

We eat all of those except avocado, some more than others though. I absolutely love brussels sprouts.

linda said...

Spinach and Broccoli every time but not so keen on avocado and sprouts.

Margaret D said...

That's good as we eat most of those veggies.
Take care.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I see at least 6 that I like to eat!
Thanks for sharing, enjoy your day!

Debbie said...

all great...the only one i do not include is kale!!!

Martha said...

Some of these I eat regularly; others, occasionally. All good!

carol l mckenna said...

Love avocados in my large salad for lunch along with chopped, apples, grapes, and tunafish and a bit of salad dressings ^_^

Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Teresa said...

Todos me gustan, el aguacate me encanta. Besos.

Conniecrafter said...

between my hubby and I we eat almost all that are the top 10

Billy Hall said...

Thanks for the useful info. I appreciate your efforts for gatherin it. Also, here i want to share one thing.
Recently i found a article that contains useful information about kidney disease and diabetes. They explained about what are the foods we need to avoid with our diet for diabetes control. So in thought of it might be useful to other, here i share that article about foods to avoid with diabetes and chronic kidney disease .

DMS said...

I love all of these veggies. I just had some Brussel sprouts for breakfast today. Yum! :)
~Jess