Total Pageviews

Saturday 17 December 2022

Happiness and Hope ... December Flowers

December birth flowers are holly and narcissus (specifically, the paperwhite). While December’s flowers may be very different from each other, one being a bulb and the other an evergreen shrub, they both symbolize happiness and hope, and as we are quite close to saying goodbye to 2022 and welcoming 2023 these words may be appearing in your thoughts and resolutions ...

The Holly
Holly symbolizes a wish for domestic happiness.

Although some animals and birds enjoy holly berries, they are semi-toxic to humans.

The good news is that deer tend to avoid eating holly due to their sharp leaves, which makes them a deer-resistant plant for gardens.


The Narcissus (Paperwhite)
Narcissus conveys that you want your beloved to stay just the way they are.

While there are many types of flowers in the genus Narcissus (including the daffodil), the paperwhite is the winter-growing variety and the birth flower for December.


We do have some (artificial) holly sprigs indoors as part of the Christmas Holiday décor. I do like seeing the green leaves and lovely red berries, but haven't any paperwhites. Do you have either of these two December flowers in your home? Perhaps you prefer a different plant, do please share your thoughts.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

It's me said...

Amaryllis are my favorite December flowers….🎄❤️🎄 happy Sunday….

Christine said...

Wonderful December flowers

Tom said...

...paperwhites are beautiful, but their fragrance makes me sick.

Anonymous said...

Happiness and hope are two good words.
I like Amaryllis and Poinsettia.

Tina

Lorrie said...

Happiness and Hope are good words to hold onto for Christmas and the new year to come. We have a holly tree and there is some cut for the house. I planted paperwhites and they have yet to bloom, but I don't mind as it's something beautiful to anticipate for January.

Chatty Crone said...

So very pretty!

Ananka said...

These are nice, I do like holly :-D

J.P. Alexander said...

Muy interesante, te mando un beso.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I didn't know the Holly was also December birthflowers
Coffee is on and stay safe

William Kendall said...

Both are pretty

Angie's Recipes said...

The artificial one actually looks quite real and beautiful.

Elephant's Child said...

We have lots of paperwhites. They are the first of the Narcissus to come out each year (but not in December).

Jo said...

I think they're both perfect for December's birth flowers.

eileeninmd said...

Pretty flowers, I love both the Holly and the Paperwhites.
Have a great day and happy new week!

kathyinozarks said...

Lovely

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Nice flowers... Happy week and Merry Christmas

Jenn Jilks said...

I have paperwhites and amaryllis on the go!

My name is Erika. said...

Very interesting!

happyone said...

Beautiful flowers for winter.

Dewena said...

Oh yes, holly! My father had several kinds when I was growing up and it's always been a favorite of mine. We have 3 female holly trees and 2 males so usually get a lot of red berries as long as we only prune it in December after it turns cold. I've always done paperwhites too but this year haven't and I miss them. But amaryllis is my favorite and I save them from year to year, at one time having 8 blooming. But I rarely get them to bloom in time for Christmas. They brighten up late January though.

CJ Kennedy said...

I once forced paperwhite. Very beautiful and very fragrant. I don't have any plants now because most plants are toxic to kitties.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Holly is a favorite!
I miss the one planted outside from a tiny shrub. It was removed during the building landscape renovation. Change is not always good.

OLga said...

Adoro i fiori di dicembre,buona serata.

Kay said...

It's funny that something semi-toxic would represent domestic happiness.

Teresa said...

Son preciosas. Yo tengo cactus de navidad. Besos.

Martha said...

There are really lovely flowers and plants this time of year available at the stores!

Conniecrafter said...

I was bringing in some holly from our yard for a display in the house and I decided to look if it was poisonous to cats and sure enough, so I had to cut all the berries off, so sad

The Happy Whisk said...

SOOOO pretty!

Hilly Nicolay said...

I have a Christmas arrangement with an Amaryllis.
I love Christmas green.

Happy days full of warmth, light and love,

Hilly

Jeanie said...

I didn't get to planting my narcissus this year, and I'll miss that. I love holly.

Bill said...

Holly is one of our favorites.