Total Pageviews

Friday 29 December 2023

Have You Been Enjoying Twixmas?

Have you been enjoying Twixmas? For many, Twixmas is a favourite time of the year. Once the stress of Christmas Day is over, Twixmas, the relaxed period between Christmas and New Year – when life seems to slow down a little and everyone takes a collective deep breath – comes along to help recharge our batteries before we welcome in another year.

It's marked from the 27th until 30th December, and here is everything you need to know about Twixmas, including how to spend it.

What is Twixmas?
Twixmas is the term used to describe the days between Christmas and New Year (27th-30th December), when – work and family commitments depending – you can take some much needed down time. For many of us, it's time when we can fully relax and spend our days doing nothing.


Why is it called Twixmas?
Twixmas originates from the old English word 'betwixt' which simply means 'between'.

How can I spend Twixmas?
The simple answer? Any way you want! For some, Twixmas is all about curling up under a blanket in cosy PJs with a festive film, or that buzzed-about boxset or book. For others, it's a chance to get some air, enjoy countryside walks or indulge in a little craft or DIY activities. It's also the perfect time to gather your thoughts ahead of 2024, and write down your new goals.

Things to do during Twixmas:
Cook up something comforting. Twixmas is a great time to use up leftovers. If you have too much Turkey left over the recipe suggestions here may help.

Get cosy and catch up on those Christmas TV specials you missed.

Shop the post-Christmas sales from the comfort of your sofa. Pick up a bargain for the house without having to battle the crowds.

Indulge in a spot of pampering; light some candles, run a bath and kick back with a face mask.

Read one of this year's most talked about books. Or perhaps get lost in the bestselling tome from the year you were born!

Rearrange your bedroom; transform your bedroom space into a tranquil, stylish space to help you unwind at the end of a long day.

Declutter your home and tidy up all of those new presents. Whether it's that jumbled cupboard under the stairs or the kids' bedroom, use Twixmas to get your clean on.

Decorate! With Christmas Day now behind us, why not give your home a lick of paint. Let next year's interior design trends inspire your next move.

Go offline, it's a great way to recharge your mind before 2024 begins.

Slip on your wellies and head out for a countryside walk. Take a thermos of soup or coffee to keep you warm as you wander.
Words/ideas from article here

I think I may spend a little time sitting quietly with a good book, a cup of tea and a low carb cookie biscuit, see more about low carb/keto biscuits here



Don't forget to try out the Third (Twixmas) Christmas Five Quiz if you haven't already done so, you will find it here

Dear reader, please be aware, that you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

39 comments:

Carola Bartz said...

In Germany, we call this time "zwischen den Jahren" (between the years) and I always love the quietness of it, the opportunity to be lazy and hang out on the couch or go for a good winter walk and have hot chocolate afterwards. I enjoy this time every year.
All the best to you for a happy and healthy 2024 - Carola

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the idea of cozy PJs, movies, snacks, and cups of tea

J.P. Alexander said...

Lo he pasado bien aunque con gripe. Te mando un beso.

Elephant's Child said...

I do like Twixmas. Not least being able to point hungry people in the direction of the leftovers in the fridge and to settle down with a good book (or two).

Tom said...

...I love slip on your wellies!

Dee said...

We still have company so not totally relaxing. Those darn folks want 3 meals a day. LOL

But, I have done several of the things in your list already. The Dec. decor is down and the January's is up. The rugs are all vacuumed and I've picked out my book for when I head into bed early tonight.

Hope you have a good Twix-mas week.

Linda said...

I have never heard the term Twixmas? Is it British?

My name is Erika. said...

Twixtmas is a great week. I hope you both have been enjoying yours.

ashok said...

Its a term iam hearing for the first time :)

Anonymous said...

Twix mas can still be busy for some -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Margaret D said...

Never heard of the word Jan.

DeniseinVA said...

I have not heard of Twixmas before, enjoyed learning about it though. Thanks Jan and A Happy New Year to you and Eddie.

kathyinozarks said...

I havenever heard of this before-interesting post soon it will be new year's eve

Jules said...

I'm sure I would be enjoying this time even more if the weather wasn't so awful :)
It's finally time to go for another supermarket shop. I'm feeling ready to eat regular meals again. X

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Love this Twixmas time!
Great photograph. It makes me smile.

jabblog said...

I've never heard of Twixmas before - it's a wonderful name and a period to be enjoyed.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love a good book and a walk. If only the weather would cooperate.
Take care, have a great day!

Rosemary said...

Another one here who has never heard that expression before. However, it is good feel that all has gone to plan i.e safe travels, good food, and happy faces - time now to relax.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Twixmas is when people return to the shops presents they don't want. Edible presents are best. My wife likes chocolates; she also likes shoes. I did not know what to buy her; so I decided on a pair of shoes made of chocolate.

God bless.

Cherie said...

I love the word Twixmas. It conjures up thoughts of relaxing in front of the fire with a good book.

Donna said...

Since we're retired, it's no different than any other day or week...just no doctor appointments! lolol
Happy New Year!
hugs
Donna

Jeanie said...

I do love Twixmas -- and I'm doing many of those things! Now I'll add to my list!

Teresa said...

Tampoco conocía Twixmas, pero me gusta esa idea. Les deseo Un Feliz 2024, cargado de salud y amor. Abrazos.

Linda said...

I like the word Twixmas, although my iPad does not recognize it. Happy new year.

baili said...

Festival bring luxury of slow days indeed and we can fill these empty time with colour of our likening so true.
Thanks for the suggestions dear Jan.
Much more joy to you and yours ❤

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never heard of Twixmas. We celebrate the 12 days of Christmas and then Epiphany

Sandra Cox said...

First time I've heard this word. I love it. Happy Twixmas to you and yours.

Maria Rodrigues said...

Hi Jan,
I was unaware of the Twixmas concept. We are always learning.
This year my Christmas was busier because my husband and I went to spend it with my son who lives in Copenhagen, we returned on the 26th and my days this week have been very peaceful.
I wish you a Happy New Year 🎉 full of all the best.
A big hug

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Enjoy your Twixmas.

Mary Kirkland said...

Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Twixmas - isn't that a great word.
Thank you for the information.

Tina

happyone said...

A new word for me.

carol l mckenna said...

What a fascinating article~ Have never head that term before 'Twixmas' ~ great ideas too ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Giorgio said...

I love Twixmas.
Happy New Year !

Giorgio said...

What an interesting article! I love Twixmas.
Happy New Year 🥂

The Happy Whisk said...

That's really funny. I'd not heard of that before. Funny stuff, Jan.

Debbie said...

i love this time and did not realize it had a formal name. i actually enjoy the time before christmas also because we take a lot of day trips to see festive places and go to shows. so beside shopping, we do a lot of fun things!!

William Kendall said...

I've heard the term before

Conniecrafter said...

I hadn't heard that term before, we had a pretty relaxing time of it, hubby was able to work from home, so that was a nice change!