Following Sainsbury's (UK Supermarket) decision to ditch brown eggs and stock exclusively white eggs, many Brits have been questioning whether there's any nutritional different between the two. And more importantly, whether the change is reason enough to switch supermarkets.
The reason behind the chain's move to white eggs centres on their reported 12.7% lower carbon footprint versus brown eggs, based on Sainsbury's own research. This stems from hens that produce white eggs consuming less feed while laying the same quantity of eggs, lowering the resources needed throughout the supply chain. Feed production represents 50-60% of the environmental impact of egg farming.Britain gets through approximately 14.5 billion eggs annually, generating an estimated 4.35 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions in the process. If the entire industry achieves the same 12.7% reduction claimed by Sainsbury's, emissions could drop by over 550,000 tonnes of CO2 each year, 'The Independent' reports.
That's roughly equivalent to removing nearly 300,000 cars from Britain's roads. But what about the difference in quality?
For much of the 20th century, white eggs were standard in the UK. However, during the 1970s, brown eggs became the preference of Britain's middle class and ultimately dominated the market.
Today, the majority of eggs sold are brown, and, as the well-to-do presume, the darker the egg and the more vibrant the yolk, the superior the quality. In reality, there is remarkably little distinction between the two differently coloured eggs, with Sainsbury's stunt appearing to be little more than a shrewd marketing exercise.
Influencer Sunna Van Kampen, known as @tonichealth, claimed in a TikTok post that the characteristically vivid orange yolks are not an indicator of quality, but a consequence of what the hens have been fed. Sunna, who has 8.5 million likes on the platform, said: "The reason why your yolks are so dark and orange... is because they feed [the hens] marigold and paprika."
This was backed up by a 2024 study published by the 'National Library of Medicine'. "We found that paprika improved the colour of the egg yolks and affected the hens' blood cholesterol levels in different ways," the study claims.
The shade of a yolk is largely determined by pigments known as carotenoids, which are found naturally in produce such as maize, marigold, peppers and carrots.
The colour of the eggshell is determined by the breed of the hen. Generally speaking, white hens lay white eggs while brown hens lay brown eggs.
There is no nutritional distinction between white and brown shelled eggs, according to British Lion Eggs.
What is more significant, however, is checking the code stamped on the shell. Organic eggs carry a 0, free-range eggs a 1, barn eggs a 2 and eggs from caged hens a 3 - though all major supermarkets no longer stock caged hen eggs.
Ultimately, neither the shell colour nor the yolk shade reveals how healthy the hen was, or whether the egg will produce a better omelette. What it does indicate is that selling white eggs is considerably more cost-effective for a supermarket chain such as Sainsbury's - and perhaps better for the environment too.
Words and image above from article seen here
Related Post
What colour do you buy? - read it hereYou will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within the blog, not all may be suitable for you. Always take account of your personal circumstances, needs, illnesses and medication you may be taking. Any allergies, or underlying health issues must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.
Please be aware that articles, and any comments, within this blog are provided for general information only and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor, pharmacist or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.
All the best Jan

33 comments:
Hi Jan, this is great information! Thank you so much for sharing!
That was really interesting! I never heard much of that information before. Here in the US most of the eggs sold in the store are white.
All these years I thought brown eggs were better than white. LOL!
White eggs are cheaper than brown eggs.
Gracias por la explicación. Te mando un beso.
Bom dia jam. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Obrigado pela informação sobre os ovos. Aqui no Brasil, tem espécies de galinhas, que a casca dos ovos é azul. Uma excelente manhã de sexta-feira, para você e todos os seus familiares e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.
I always thought the deeper colouring was because the hens were free ranged and ate naturally growing greenery as well as the "chicken feed" or instead of. I always buy free-range eggs, 99% of the time they are brown with orange yolks and they taste better.
Well, I still prefer brown eggs.
Most are white in stores in Kansas. I've bought some brown if they were cheaper. During parent orientation at my son's veterinary medicine school, the professors discussed caged vs free range chicken farming. They posed the question: if you were a free ranging chicken and always attacked by other chickens and wounded, would you feel like laying an egg? Linda in Kansas
I always get brown eggs—free-range eggs from the farmer! Thank you for this Info!
Happy day, hugs Elke
Interesting and I remember reading about white and brown eggs sometime back. We only have brown shelled eggs here in Australia.
I always buy white eggs, but a friend brought me a dozen eggs he got at Trader Joe's, a national chain in the states, that were brown.
Most people want their eggs coming from healthy chickens.
Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great weekend.
Great to hear there's a connection between white eggs and lower carbon dioxide emissions.
Greetings,
G.
Eggsactly right.
God bless.
When I still had a car and visited my Brother I always got the free range eggs - you really could see the chicken walk around and the yolk was deep orange and I think more yummy. Here we check that there is a stamp that male chicks aren´t killed. Free range from the grocery? No one knows if either is true!
I should go to the market again for this! Thank you for the reminder, Jan!
How extraordinary that Sainsbury should employ such a marketing tactic. The coding on the eggs is interesting, though.
Several years ago, there was a marketing campaign with the jingle Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh
An egg is an egg is an egg. But I didn't know that hens laying white eggs needed less feed to produce them. Thanks for sharing Jan.
And have a great weekend too.
Dear Jan!
I always buy brown eggs. I don't like white ones. Why? I don't know. Greetings from Poland
Good information.
Most of the eggs I buy in a store are white, but most I buy from local roadside stands are brown.
...I never thought that paying morer for brown eggs made sense.
Fascinating. What is the difference between organic and free range?
This post got me thinking--I don't think I've even seen white eggs since we moved to Ireland.
Buena información Jan..
Las 7 gallinas que tenemos son todas blancas, blancos sus huevos y muy ricos.
Buen fin de semana.
Un abrazo.
dear Jan
thank you for the wonderful and highly informative post once again !
honestly here we are paying almost double price to buy the brown eggs honestly and knowing there is little difference and reason behind it isn't significant enough makes me feel wonder if we doing right thing . i think i will dig it bit more .sending heartfelt best wishes and lots of love on your way
Interesting info. I usually get my eggs from Sainsbury's and they were white this week but last week they were brown.
GOOGLE TRANSLATE
J.P. Alexander
Gracias por la explicación. Te mando un beso.
Thanks for the explanation. Sending you a kiss.
Luiz Gomes
Bom dia jam. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Obrigado pela informação sobre os ovos. Aqui no Brasil, tem espécies de galinhas, que a casca dos ovos é azul. Uma excelente manhã de sexta-feira, para você e todos os seus familiares e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.
Good morning, jam. Thanks for visiting and commenting. Thanks for the information about the eggs. Here in Brazil, there are chicken breeds that lay blue-shelled eggs. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Friday morning—and a big hug from your friend in Rio.
Laura. M
Buena información Jan..
Las 7 gallinas que tenemos son todas blancas, blancos sus huevos y muy ricos.
Buen fin de semana.
Un abrazo.
Good information, Jan.
The 7 hens we have are all white; their eggs are white and very delicious.
Have a great weekend.
Best regards.
REPLY TO
Sandra Cox who said ...
Fascinating. What is the difference between organic and free range?
Hello Sandra and many thanks for your comment and question.
The article link below should be able to answer your question, it is quite an in-depth article covering all aspects of organic and free range eggs.
Understanding Organic vs Free Range Eggs: Nutrition, Welfare & Environment
https://featheredfarmlife.com/understanding-organic-vs-free-range-eggs/
All the best Jan
Jan, this was a great post. I always wondered about the differences.
I see both brown and white eggs here in stores. I buy either one, which ever is cheapest that day!! I know a few people who have chickens that lay green and blue eggs which I think are so cool. :)
Post a Comment