Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 March 2013

Bloggers keep spreading the word and helping people !


The other night I was feeling very angry. Out on the blogosphere over the last week, a major debacle has been going on. One of the points being discussed was offensive language. Reading some of these blogs and posts coincided with me watching the news item linked below. The children of Aleppo are living and dying in medieval conditions and powerful nations are doing nothing. We have seen this many times before in other countries. The question I am asking myself, is there not enough money or oil to be gained for us to get involved ?

This story cheered me up to I found on Facebook.

“We enter a little coffeehouse with a friend of mine and give our order. While we’re approaching our table two people come in and they go to the counter:
‘Five coffees, please. Two of them for us and three suspended’ They pay for their order, take the two and leave.

I ask my friend: “What are those ‘suspended’ coffees?”
My friend: “Wait for it and you will see.”

Some more people enter. Two girls ask for one coffee each, pay and go. The next order was for seven coffees and it was made by three lawyers - three for them and four ‘suspended’. While I still wonder what’s the deal with those ‘suspended’ coffees I enjoy the sunny weather and the beautiful view towards the square in front of the cafe. Suddenly a man dressed in shabby clothes who looks like a beggar comes in through the door and kindly asks
‘Do you have a suspended coffee ?’

It’s simple - people pay in advance for a coffee meant for someone who can not afford a warm beverage. The tradition with the suspended coffees started in Naples, but it has spread all over the world and in some places you can order not only a suspended coffee, but also a sandwich or a whole meal.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have such cafe's or even grocery stores in every town where the less fortunate will find hope and support ? If you own a business why don’t you offer it to your clients… I am sure many of them will like it”



Helping people you know in trouble is what we should do, but helping people you will never know, and never receive a thank you, somehow seems more special to me. So, bloggers and readers, spread the word at every opportunity. Telling your success story how you beat diabetes or obesity will encourage others, it’s not all doom and gloom and horror out there.

Eddie

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Eddie. I think with all the work and effort you are putting into your site, that counts as many suspended coffees!

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks but I work with a team. We have less high profile people on this blog contributing and sending us items and links. Also a few very high profile people have given us permission to copy and use their work. They don’t agree with everything we say, and as professionals they have to keep their distance, but they obviously feel we are doing something right.

Regards Eddie

Anonymous said...

Snap. I made a very similar comment in reply to one of your posts at Carole's blog, Eddie.

We can get so caught up in the all the debate and theory, that it would be very easy to just go round and round in circles till we finally disappear up our own asses.

The suspended coffee sounds like a great idea and could be adapted for all sorts of things.

Keep up the good work :-)

Anonymous said...

Sitting here enjoying a quiet coffee waiting for the family to come round for an Easter get-together this piece was most moving. What a good idea. If you are like me I do support some charities, I go for the young like the NSPCC to the old like Age Concern I do always try to put some coins in a collection box you often see nowadays at your Tesco or Sainsbury superstore. I know there are charitable organisations like Shelter and the Salvation Army that do their best to help homeless and vulnerable people.If we could all do something each day to help people there would be more "suspended coffees" out there.

Kate

Lowcarb team member said...

I guess most of us don’t know how lucky we are. How many of us have been truly poor or ever gone hungry ? None I suspect.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

It is very easy for some to bemoan our plight whilst forgetting those not as fortunate,

This 'suspended coffee' ideal could help redress the plight of many

Paul B

Anonymous said...

I agree it's a very nice idea and could well be extended to meals etc. It's often in times of austerity than the nicest actions occur.

Next time I got to fill the car up I might ask for some "Suspended Diesel"

Ray

Anonymous said...

It is frequently seen that when communities are in trouble something good can come of it. I always keep the thought with me that good must always overcome bad. Without that the world is a lost cause, and I for one know there are more good people who want to help.I have to believe it.
Jean

Anonymous said...

Can we all aspire to this?
Jeff