Total Pageviews

Friday 4 July 2014

Angels on Horseback


"I first encountered this dish when I moved to Long Island in the late 1980s. It was at a wedding I attended with my girlfriend DeDee, and it was one of those classic Long Island weddings, with all the glass clinking to make the couple kiss at awkward moments, a thicket of big hair, and so much Billy Joel music I had to listen to the Dead Kennedys for a week afterward to recover. I had a blast, but what I remembered most was this odd appetizer of an oyster, wrapped in bacon and squirted with lemon juice. I asked the waiter what it was called and he said, “It’s an angel on horseback,” as if I was a moron for not knowing.
I later learned that angels on horseback – also done with scallops and sometimes called “devils on horseback” – was a de rigeur Long Island party food at the time. I can tell you that even now it remains an awesomely tasty dish: Briny, minerally oysters just barely cooked, surrounded by smoky bacon and lightened with the zing of fresh lemon juice; I later switched to lime juice, because I like it even better."
Check out this mega site, not all recipes are low carb, but so many are. The site is a treasure trove of great food ideas, and in my opinion, just about the best food site I have ever seen, well worth your time. OK, I know this is not cheap food, but for a special occasion, it certainly hits the spot and very easy to prepare and cook.
The recipe and site is here.
Eddie

6 comments:

tess said...

OH MY GOD does that sound delicious right now....

Janice said...

I've never tried oysters, but we have made bacon-wrapped scallops several times. Definitely not cheap, so they are a special treat on occasion. I didn't know they had a name! The recipe we use has smoked paprika. Delicious!

http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/bacon-wrapped-scallops/

Lowcarb team member said...

I have never tried raw oysters, I am a wimp. Having said that these cooked and wrapped in bacon taste sublime.

Thanks for the comments.

Kind regards Eddie

tess said...

come down to N'Orleans, and i'll treat you to raw oysters that'll addict you as they did me! ;-)

Manythings said...

Looks fabulous, thanks so much for all the delicious LC foods items in your blog.

Anonymous said...

Looks truly delicious.
Sue