Total Pageviews

Monday 18 November 2019

Do You Hit The Snooze Button ?



Scientists reveal why we feel so tired in the mornings:

If you're the type of person who snoozes your alarm every morning or can't function before (or even after) your morning coffee, (or tea), there might be a genetic reason for that.

New research by DNA testing company, 23andMe, has discovered that genetic programming plays a part in our wake up time.

The research studied over 1,500 British people to determine that 7.55am was the UK's average genetic wake up time.

This means that the average Brit will wake up naturally just before 8am each day.

Many people set their alarms for much earlier than that, hence our feelings of tiredness and lack of productivity.

Interrupting your body's circadian rhythm (which is the official term for our body clock) can leave us feeling out of sorts at the beginning of the day.

If you don't feel tired first thing, it doesn't mean you're immune to these feelings. Many people have tiredness slumps at different points in the day.

"Unusually tired"

The NHS has found that one in five of us get "unusually tired" and have suggested some good ways to wake yourself up when the slump sets in.

Exercise is cited as one of the key ways to bolster your energy reserve. Aside from the psychological benefits of exercise, it also lowers your risk of early death by 30%.

Cutting down on caffeine is another recommended way to beat the tiredness. As a nation of tea drinkers, we are all at risk of being over-stimulated by the affects of caffeine. Switching to decaffeinated tea and coffee could make all the difference.



Getting into a routine of having daytime naps may also interrupt your body's circadian rhythm. If you go to sleep every time you feel a bout of tiredness, you may struggle to get to sleep at night, so says the NHS.

The above taken from article here

If you should have problems getting to sleep this NHS guide may be helpful, see it here

Do you use an alarm clock?
Do you hit the snooze button? - When I do have to use an alarm clock I prefer to! 


Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas within this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

Tom said...

...I wake up when it feels right.

Fun60 said...

One of the joys of retirement is that I don't have to set the alarm!

Valerie-Jael said...

I don't use an alarm unless I have a very early appointment somewhere. I usually wake up when it starts to get light outside, which means being up with the lark in summer and a bit later in winter. I have blackout curtains, but they don't help! Valerie

Christine said...

Thanks for this information. There is also sleep apnea testing that can be done, a lot of people may have this unknowingly.

The Happy Whisk said...

Hey Jan. Nope No alarm clock for me.
I hate them. Though if I must use one for something I will.
But generally no.
Also I think the snooze is a harmful feature.
Thankfully though, I'm a morning person.
And it's rare that I feel tired during the day.
UNLESS ... I'm fighting an infection.
Then all bets are off.
But honestly, I'm just a high-energy person by birth.
I get it from my Hungarian grandma.
Cheers to you and Happy Winter!
Or Autumn if you still have that by you.
Happy Holidays, too!

Chatty Crone said...

I wonder what time people in the US are genetically set for.

mxtodis123 said...

Wish I had the opportunity, but my body, particularly my knees start aching early in the morning, and that's my cue to get up.

Chris Lally said...

Great article! I don't keep a clock in the bedroom - usually up by dawn:)

This N That said...

I go to bed late and Get up when I want to. Usually when I wake up! Between eight and 830. In the rare instance that I set an alarm, I always wake up before it goes off. I hate alarm clocks. Interesting post. Have a wonderful week.

Bill said...

I don't use an alarm, my body seems to waken when it gets light. Summer time I'm usually up earlier because it's light earlier. Now, I been sleeping a few hours later due to the darkness.

happyone said...

No snooze button for me. Don't set an alarm. I wake up every morning about 6:15 on my own.

Lois said...

I haven't used an alarm clock regularly since I retired. I usually wake up around 8:30 am.

Debbie said...

an interesting read. there is no clock for me and therefore no snooze!! i get up when i wake up, i like it that way!!

NanaDiana said...

I set my alarm for 5:45 and will usually hit snooze until 6am. lol I am out the door to work by 7:10 am...and so the day starts!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I am up between 5 and 7 in morning

Margaret D said...

Interesting read and must say an alarm is not need only on an odd occasion in this house as we are retired.
Never felt the need for a cuppa to make me awake - up into the shower then to breakfast for us.

Lady Fi said...

I wake up early every day and much prefer it. I feel very tired in the evenings though.

Bob Bushell said...

I have a dog that me wake up, no chance.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I usually wake up with no help. I will set the alarm if we have to go somewhere special. Being retired, I no longer have to set the alarm on most days. Have a great day and new week!

CJ Kennedy said...

Since Himself wakes up at the crack of stupid, I'm usually awake but can't function so go back to bed for another hour or two. I also have problems with Seasonal Affected Disorder so cloudy, grey days like yesterday and today have me dragging. I think a nap is in order later on.

Sami said...

I set the alarm and always push the snooze button twice and get up on the third ring. Those 5 minutes in between each ring feel like hours :)

carol l mckenna said...

Great article abut sleep ~

Happy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

NatureFootstep said...

yes, always it seems, not only in the mornings :(

Jenny Woolf said...

I usually wake much earlier than 8 AM naturally, but whenever I have something important to do early I set the alarm, then can't get to sleep worrying about having to be up early ! :)

Snowbird said...

I'm a snoozer! I've never been a morning person sadly.xxx

sandy said...

good interesting article. Sleep is an interesting thing for me - I do it sometimes, lol

William Kendall said...

I tend to wake up before the alarm goes off.

Lee said...

I never set an alarm. If I have to wake earlier than usual...my inner clock seems to tell me I have to wake early...and I do.

I spent years getting out of bed early to go to work...and going to bed late after a long day and night at work...now, if I want to stay in bed a little longer in the morning...I do. My two furry bed mates don't seem to mind, either. :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

I have an alarm clock but never hit the snooze button. We get up early without a problem, i think we're both early morning people but less so in the winter, when it just seems so much harder to get up at all!