Total Pageviews

Wednesday 6 November 2019

Cottage Cheese Is Super Healthy and Nutritious !




Arlene Semeco writes: 
"Why Cottage Cheese Is Super Healthy and Nutritious. 
Cottage cheese is a low calorie cheese with a mild flavour. Its popularity has grown in the last few decades, and it's often recommended as part of a healthy diet. Cottage cheese is not only high in protein but also essential nutrients. For these reasons, it's widely used by athletes and in weight loss plans. This article explains why cottage cheese is so good for you and includes ways to incorporate it into your diet.

What is cottage cheese?
Cottage cheese is soft, white, and creamy. It's considered a fresh cheese, so it does not undergo an aging or ripening process to develop flavour. As a result, it has a very mild flavour compared with aged cheeses. Cottage cheese is made from the curds of various levels of pasteurized cow's milk, including non-fat, reduced fat, or regular milk. It's also offered in different curd sizes, usually small, medium, or large. Moreover, it's available in creamed, whipped, lactose-free, reduced sodium, or sodium-free varieties. You can enjoy this versatile cheese by itself or as an ingredient in recipes.
Summary Cottage cheese is a soft, white cheese with a mild flavour. It’s a fresh cheese offered with different milk fat levels and curd sizes.

Cottage cheese is packed with nutrients.
The nutritional profile of cottage cheese varies depending on the level of milk fat used and amount of sodium added. It has decent amounts of vitamin B6, choline, zinc, and copper. The carb content of cottage cheese is around 3%. It consists of lactose, a milk sugar to which some people are intolerant. Notably, protein accounts for over 70% of the calories in cottage cheese.

Summary Cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein and contains relatively few calories. It’s also packed with many nutrients, such as B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, and selenium.

How cottage cheese is made.
Making cottage cheese is a simple process. You can even make it at home.
Summary Cottage cheese is made by adding an acid to milk, which causes the milk to curdle. Then, the curd is drained and crumbled to make the final product.

Cottage cheese can help you lose weight.
This is partly because of its high protein and low calorie content.
Summary Cottage cheese is high in protein and calcium, both of which have been associated with weight loss.

Cottage cheese and muscle gain.
Cottage cheese is popular among athletes and people who exercise.
Summary Cottage cheese is packed with casein protein. Casein is slowly absorbed, promotes muscle gain, and helps prevent muscle breakdown.

Other Benefits of Cottage Cheese.
Cottage cheese has also been associated with other health benefits.
Summary Cottage cheese can help reduce the risk of developing insulin resistance and heart disease. It can also help improve bone health and provide antioxidant protection.

How to incorporate cottage cheese into your diet.
Cottage cheese's mild flavour and soft texture make it easy to include in your meals and recipes.
For example:
Salads - add it to your favourite salads for extra protein.
Scrambled eggs - it will give your eggs an extra creamy texture.
Summary Cottage cheese is a versatile ingredient that you can incorporate into many different meals and recipes.

It can cause problems for people who are intolerant to dairy.
Cottage cheese is a dairy product, which can cause problems for some people.
Summary Cottage cheese can cause digestive problems if you are lactose intolerant. It can also cause allergic reactions in those who are allergic to dairy or milk proteins.

The bottom line.
Cottage cheese is a curd cheese with a mild flavour and smooth texture. It's high in many nutrients, including protein, B vitamins, and minerals like calcium, selenium, and phosphorus. If you are looking to lose weight or build muscle, cottage cheese is among the most beneficial foods you can eat."

The above words are just a snippet from Arlene's original article, which can be seen in full with all information and research links here

I wonder … do you like to use cottage cheese? Have you any favourite recipes? 
Do please share them in the comments.
I like these three recipes that use cottage cheese, you may too!
Mini Spinach and Cottage Cheese Frittatas, they are low carb and vegetarian - more details here
Stuffed Courgette / Zucchini Boats, with smoked ham or curried chicken - more details here
Low Carb 'Rice Pudding' - more details here

Dear reader, a variety of articles, and recipe ideas, are within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Catarina said...

I buy lactose free cottage cheese.

Debbie Harris said...

I so appreciated your posting on this, thank you!
I'm not much for dairy but I will eat cottage cheese often. Now I will try and incorporate it into my meals.
I like the idea of adding it to scrambled eggs. I use cottage cheese in my lasagna and its great.

Have a terrific day ♡

Valerie-Jael said...

Cottage cheese has many good possibilities. Valerie

Tom said...

...I would need to eat this with my eyes closed.

Jo said...

I love cheese but I must admit that cottage cheese isn't one of my favourites.

JFM said...

Another great info post...thank you Jan~

Elephant's Child said...

I do like it, and love the way it can absorb flavour.

Christine said...

reminds me I have a tub to finish.

CJ Kennedy said...

I like cottage cheese with pineapple

Sue (this n that) said...

Really good to know Jan, thanks.
I liked those recipes too. On the one for 'rice pudding' I was interested to read the comments about cinnamon... lol, I've been taking cinnamon every day for years but had long since forgotten exactly why and now I know :D) xx

Laura. M said...

Me gustan los barcos de calabacín.
Gracias por las recetas Jan.
Un abrazo.

happyone said...

I like cottage cheese and have it often.

My name is Erika. said...

I think it's a texture thing, I am not a cottage cheese fan. But I want to be. After reading this maybe I need to give it another try. Hugs-Erika

Rose said...

I do not like cottage cheese...except in something that is not very healthy for diabetics. Take a can of crushed pineapple, I use a 12 ounce thing of coolwhip, and a small box of strawberry jello. Not made into jello...just add the powder into the other ingredients and mix well. One of my favorite things.

Roger does like cottage cheese, and goes through spells of eating it often.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I love cottage cheese, Jan. I love having it plain or have it with berries as a snack. I have used it in a quiche as well. I'll check out your recipes. Thank you!

kathyinozarks said...

The problem I have with cottage cheese is the Very high sodium content-I quit eating it years ago because of that. There used to be a product that looked like cottage, don't remember what they called it but that one had no sodium in it-but I haven't seen it in stores for years

William Kendall said...

I've always liked it.

Chris Lally said...

Great post, Jan! Really informative!!!

aussie aNNie said...

Love this cheese too.xx

Linda said...

I remember making it in grade school.

Margaret D said...

Never used cottage cheese at all.
Interesting reading about it.

Iris Flavia said...

Guess what I added to my shopping list :-) Thank you for the information.
I know potatoes are not low carb, yet today I´ll have "Bauernfrühstück" - fried potatoes with scrambled egg (and cottage cheese for the first time), parsley, little cubes of ham and a pickled cucumber to the side.

Bob Bushell said...

I think that cottage cheese is a bit on tasteless I'm affraid.

Natalia said...

Love cottage cheese, especially our Polish Tvarog is so good and healthy☺

Marco Luijken said...

I think I like this.
Always nice to eat this kind of cottage cheese with some fruit. Lovely!!

Greetings, Marco

Rain said...

I used to eat a lot of cottage cheese, and funny enough it's one cheese I haven't even tried to make yet, it's going on the list!! :)

Snowbird said...

It certainly is versatile!xxx

Ygraine said...

I haven't eaten cottage cheese for years...but you have made me want to go out and buy some for tomorrow!
Many thanks for all this interesting info...😊😊

Have a great evening!

Hugs xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to visit, even though I'm late. I bought a 5 lb container of cottage cheese a week or so ago. I've eaten most of it. I had to see all the wonderful nutrition I was gaining. You don't have to convince me how good it is, and now I know it's good for me, too. Thanks for this, Jan.

Jenny Woolf said...

I never knew all that about cottage cheese!he "rice" pudding looks good but has too much cream for me, I cannot digest that amount of fat. I like a tub of cottage cheese with grayed zest of a lemon, a couple of tablespoons of raisins, a large teAspoon of melted butter, sugar or sweetener to taste , a dash of milk
Bake slowly in a medium oven about 20 minutes. It's really good and not too high in fat. Ricotta cheese is also great.

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts, comments and recipe ideas … it's appreciated.
If you haven't commented yet and would like to please do so below.

All the best Jan